Why i'll never buy a savage rifle

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
I just cant bring myself to buy one of these rifles, no matter how good the trigger is and how well they shoot because they have there name and that indian on the bolt just staring at you....just a horrible eyesore. IMHO.

Anyone have luck buyinf replacement bolt shrouds?

I have owned one Savage 110 and I still own a Model 93, .22WRM. The Model 110 was just flat ugly and the 93 is also but it shoots well enough to keep it.

Have it jeweled as suggested above . If that is your only issue then the accuracy and durability will make you fall in love with the rest.
Personally I have tremendous respect for them.

Drape a flag over it and shoot it for old glory. That works to remedy other ugly things also. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I have a few rifles that have "Remington" written on them. However, if they shoot, I'll likely keep them. Seriously, that is a minor problem fixed (as has been suggested several times already) by jewelling the bolt. For my own part, I'm not ashamed to have the Savage name on rifles, in part because they produce a great rifle that is noted for accuracy.

Each to their own, but for me firearms for the most part are tools. Looks are secondary, as accuracy is what matters. With that, I also agree with this,,,,,

DrMike":3vqgrfmi said:
For my own part, I'm not ashamed to have the Savage name on rifles, in part because they produce a great rifle that is noted for accuracy.

onesonek":1v8tiim2 said:
Each to their own, but for me firearms for the most part are tools. Looks are secondary, as accuracy is what matters. With I also agree with this,,,,,

DrMike":1v8tiim2 said:
For my own part, I'm not ashamed to have the Savage name on rifles, in part because they produce a great rifle that is noted for accuracy.

+1

I have a Model 16 in 325 WSM.

I've found the indian dude will double check my scope alignment, etc. When everything is correct, he gives me the nod, and I touch off the shot. I think that's why it shoots so well, consistently.

Just speculation, of course................. :roll:

Ron

rjm158":1bz6cf4t said:
I have a Model 16 in 325 WSM.

I've found the indian dude will double check my scope alignment, etc. When everything is correct, he gives me the nod, and I touch off the shot. I think that's why it shoots so well, consistently.

Just speculation, of course................. :roll:

Ron

Awesomeness!

trsmith1818":ijmfi0yd said:
I just cant bring myself to buy one of these rifles, no matter how good the trigger is and how well they shoot because they have there name and that indian on the bolt just staring at you....just a horrible eyesore. IMHO.

Anyone have luck buyinf replacement bolt shrouds?

I used to flat hate these rifles until I got one in a trade and it shot better than the rifles I had spent $5000 for. I have two of them now, both shoot well inside an inch, but yea..they are still ugly. One of them I had cerakoted just for the reasons mentioned above...no indian looking at me, but still ugly.

I like my Savage rifle and my as equally ugly Glock (brick) handgun. Both work great and do what they are supposed to do and thats all I ask.

Corey

Some really fine sandpaper, something in the 1600-2000 grit range ugly writing right off those bolts.

But I have to agree, life is too short to have an ugly rifle, or an ugly wife.

I would take a 7 rifle or wife if they preform like a 10 anyday! Its not all about looks in my book I guess (I just got real lucky and found a good looking great wife), its more about function.

I'll admit that they are not very sexy, but the two that I have (110 in 280 AI, and 12 low profile in .243 win) both shoot better than I can. If they are shooting above .3" groups something is wrong. The factory .243 shot a .197" 3 shot group the other week.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

I can hunt with an old Moisin Nagant or an SKS and kill critters with aplomb too...and have in the past. But I don't want to make a habit out of it.

Savage makes a very accurate and very homely rifle IMHO. I don't need .3MOA accuracy to kill critters in the field but I do want something I can show off in the hardware store.

That must be the lowest grade of "French" walnut that I have ever seen. No intention of stepping on the man's listing but that wood has hardly none of the Bastogne contrast at all. I remember when Savage was mking these Model 10 variants. I had one in .270 that I restocked.

Back