Why no love for the A-Bolt??

The xbolt I have in 7mm-08 shoots awesome with several bullets. The only thing I dislike is the magazine. It sometimes doesn't "spring" the rounds up into position. And I wish I had gotten one of the wooden-stocked models instead of synthetic...

My mom has an abolt in 30-06 and its definately a shooter. All weve done to it was shorten the stock and had a holland brake installed.

It will shoot 1/2-3/4" with factory 165g corelokts. With handloaded 150 and 165g NBTs it will do 1/2 MOA at 100 yards pretty regularly, with very little load work up at that.

There nice well built rifles in my opinion, just lack of aftermarket parts if you ever wanna go that route.

For an out of the box rifle that looks, feels, and shoots good you cant ever go wrong with a Browning.

The BARs are a whole nother topic, but they are awesome rifles as well...My dad was a big fan of them and had one in a 270 and 338. They would do 3/4-1 MOA easily everytime for factory ammo at 100 yards. With reloads im sure we could have squeezed out a bit more accuracy.

Best accessory for a A Bolt is the 2lb or 3lb trigger spring from Timney. Best $20 you can spend. Mid south shooter supply had the best price I could find. Takes a few minutes to install.

I agree about the trigger replacement. I never could get the trigger in any of my three A-Bolt rifles to break clean without drag.

i have 2. my first was a hunter in a 280 with a boss that i would give my left ear to have back. the other is an 338 wm. shoots 210's 1/2 moa at 3000 fps. it hammers elk and bear.

McDAccountant":av60ln14 said:
Last Saturday, I found an A-bolt Stalker, in .243, at a LGS for $512. I snatched it up without thinking about it.

Finally made it to the range to shoot this one. Put a Burris Fullfield II 6.5X-20X-50mm scope on it. After shooting a few rounds to get it sighted in, I shot several 4-shot, sub 1" groups @ 125 yards with 100 grain Winchester SuperX ammo on the 6.5X power. Can't wait to work up some handloads for this rifle.

I did learn one thing today...what I had always thought, and was told, was the 100 yard target at my range is really 125 yards, range finder confirmed it today...however, the 200 is 200, also confirmed with range finder. Also had fun hitting the gong at 125 yards with my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. Sad thing is, I hit the gong @ 125 yards with a higher percentage of shots (4 of 6) than I hit a 10" paper plate at 25 yards (11 of 18... but I missed completely with the first six shots).

BTW, if you don't have a single action revolver in 45 Colt, I highly recommend you get one...TONS OF FUN!!!

Back