Why no love for the A-Bolt??

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I noticed it is not a "hot" item just about in every forum.
Why is that?

Hard to put my finger on my particular distaste. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned was a Browning Eurobolt chambered in 7mm RM. I let it go in a momentary fit of insanity. However, I never particularly wanted an A-bolt or one of the X-bolts. All I shot delivered good accuracy, but at the price they commanded, there were other rifles that were better values in my estimate. Also, the finish on the stock was always gaudy to my eye, which detracted from an otherwise good rifle.

Couldn't tell you Fotis. I like the Abolts but have little experience with them other than one 300 WSM that shot really well, just didn't want it at the time, so I passed on it. I've never heard anything bad about them and most all are excellent shooters. They always look like well put together rifles and I could see myself liking one of the little 6.5 Creedmoores like that OLD Wild Gene has! :lol:

I have owned (3) A-Bolts (.243, .280 Rem, .300 WSM), two are still in the family. All were very accurate and all had a bad trigger for drag. The triggers, with some work, could be made relatively decent but not excellent which for a $1000 rifle is not a good attribute. I bought my A-Bolts back when they were less than $600 apiece but I never made any money on the one that I sold. Being Japanese made did not help at that time. They had a glare problem with the finish, too much plastic and too many MIM's parts for my taste.

...I've got 3 of 'em, all Stalkers. Prices are comparable to any Savage or Remington w/ comparable features. I like the Dura-touch stock better than a Hough or painted plastic, really like the 60* bolt throw, even like the magazines. All the triggers adjusted down to 2.5#, no creep, no over-travel, one simple easily accessed screw. Best part is they've all shot right outta the box, & don't seem to be real particular about what they shoot...

...sighting in the 6.5 Creedmoor...

I thought they were kinda bright and too shiny, although I did have an old Safari in .375 H&H that was a tack driver!

I think the biggest reason that you don't hear a lot about them is because there aren't many things to complain about. I have a number of Brownings and very much enjoy all of them. I've never had anything to complain about. I would certainly recommend one to anyone looking at purchasing one. I have never had to give "an arm and a leg" to buy one either. All of mine were purchased new and nowhere near MSRP.

The A-Bolt and the X-Bolt just don't have much "gun wonk" appeal. Not much you can do to them, certainly not much for the traditionalist...but they do work right out of the box and as much as we bash on the Japanese there is little doubt that the guys at Miroku know how to put one together.

I know several guys with them- none of them care a lick about the technical minutiae but kill critters day in and out.

I looked pretty hard at an X-Bolt Micro for the boy.... nice piece of hardware.

I don't have one but mates of mine do and I have shot them, in 243 and 308. I reckon they are great rifles for the money.

I just think they are a little "clinical" in their presentation, which puts some people off. Not me. I would own one for sure.

I really like them in the WSM calibres; for some reason that package appeals to me. An A-Bolt in 325WSM interests me greatly.

If it was a cartridge that I wanted (and it wasn't chambered in a Winchester :grin: ), I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Browning (A-Bolt, A-Bolt II, X-Bolt). I've owned a couple and didn't feel hurt by owning them.

The A-Bolt has been taken out of the Browning lineup. The last ones that they made this year have a greatly improved trigger in them. If I could find a Medallion with the new trigger in a caliber that I wanted, I would buy another one but only with the new trigger. Right now, there are some discounts on these because they have been discontinued, if you can find a stocking dealer that will sell with the discount?

FOTIS":2h8j3h7q said:
I noticed it is not a "hot" item just about in every forum.
Why is that?
I've often wondered the same. I have two X-bolts (.243 and 30-06) that are very accurate. Last Saturday, I found an A-bolt Stalker, in .243, at a LGS for $512. I snatched it up without thinking about it. Going to put some good glass on it and make it a "range gun". I know I've posted it before but this was the first five shots from my X-bolt in .243 @ 100 yards 100 gr. Federal Power Shok ammo...the hole to the left was the first shot. It does better with handloads. Hoping to get equal accuracy from my new A-bolt.

243target.jpg

That is definitely a shooter. Congratulations on securing a fine rifle.

I have soft spot in my heart for the Abolt. I have one in 243 wssm, 260, 257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, and 308 (the 25-06 and 308 are both Medallions with 26" barrels). All shoot 1" groups no problem. It's a hard choice in the fall who comes to the woods with me. Not sure why I like them so much. They all do there part filling the freezer and keeping the Yotes in line. I had no idea it was being discontinued. I guess I need to fill that last slot in the safe with a 280.

the only thing I do NOT like is the luster in the stocks. I like the oil finish of the new x-bolts better.

Back