Why not a 300 WSM?

I sort of occurs to me, that among this august body of esteemed shooters and rifle geeks the .300WSM is nearly universally regarded as a good cartridge and more than a couple of us have long experience with it over a wide range of game.

This is somewhat surprising when compared with the reaction from folks when the cartridge first debuted- I was told point blank by more than a few folks that I was wasting my money and time with such a fad round and it was as good as obsolete the day I bought it.

Even today, you can encounter the odd gun crank that has a disdain for the "short and fat" thirty and they'll be quick to point out all the cartridge's supposed flaws.

I've got to admit- it's pretty gratifying to see such a group of knowledgable PhD grade rifle loonies that completely ignored the criticism and wrung it out over the course of much shooting and much game. I was a little slow to warm up to it, but once I did it became one of my favorite hunting cartridges I've ever used.

truck driver":mhna46v7 said:
NyDan did Rol_P show you those two samples I gave him last year ? You know the 35Whelen and the 35Whelen /AI. Both of those out of a 24" barrel will push a 200gr bullet at over 3Kfps plus 2950fps with a 225gr PT and with the same recoil or less then a 300Win. Never shot a 300WSM but I have wondered why I ever bought the 338Win I carried in Montana though I did also carry the 35Whelen/AI a few times also and could easily hit the gong at 400yds with a 3" high 100yd sight in.
If you think you need a 300WSM then get one but I think you could do more with the 35Whelen then the 300WSM with the heavier bullets available in .35 cal. It's not as flat shooting as a 300WSM but neither is a 30-06. JMO

Rodger, yes, Roland did show me the two dummy cartridges you gave him. In fact, I looked at them again just last week or so. Those big bullets are pretty impressive. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and examples with us.

Dan

ShadeTree":3i41y60d said:
... but ballistically it's a neat cartridge.... but it does appear to be a really neat and versatile cartridge! ...I would cave to. :grin:

Check out the 270 WSM and 7mm WSM. It’s a family worth having! Love how efficient it is and how it stacks up opposite the big boys. It’s not lacking until you are shooting heavy for caliber at max loads. My next WSM will likely be a 7mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted with one for the last 3 years and like it a lot. I have the parts to build another lighter one with a Proof cf barrel and edge fill McMillan Game Warden stock on a Tikka action. It should be about 1 1/2lb lighter then my current rifle.

For some reason I haven't hunted with it much, but I do like my 300 WSM Model 70.

Settled on a single load for it quite a few years ago: 210 gr Berger VLD @ 2810 fps via H4350. Got the load from a fellow who did well with it in 1,000 yard Benchrest competition.

Here's a 3-shot, 100 yard group. Yes, I was smart enough to stop shooting after three shots! :mrgreen:

UxxlI2Kl.jpg

Does appear that I missed the target. Dang. Neat cartridge, useful power improvement over the 30-06, and very similar performance to the good ol' 300 H&H from what I've read.

XC7dScml.jpg

Regards, Guy

Scotty - I couldn't get mine to shoot the 200 gr AccuBond very well either - so I quit trying to feed it those bullets.

And I did once get silly and sell the rifle to a friend. Fortunately, a few months later I was able to buy it back.

Guess it's staying around. I might try some Partitions & such from it again here one of these days.

Guy

Thebear_78":2nbufp7d said:
mjcmichigan":2nbufp7d said:
SJB358":2nbufp7d said:
Nope, my 70’s have fed excellent!

+1

I had a Remington 700 that wouldn’t feed worth s damn, every Winchester has fed slick as hell.
+1

My Model 70 Featherweight 300wsm feeds excellent and shoots 180gr AB's and RL17 at 3054fps average and under 1/2 MOA. I did have some problems with my Rem Model 700 SPS in 270wsm feeding, among other things, but they were easily fixed and that is one of my favorite rifles now.

This is why I like mine. 3 shots at 185yds with 215 Bergers over 69grs of R-26 doing 2960fps .297". I shot 2 that were just over an inch apart at 660yds too.

Attachments

• 300wsm 185yds .297.jpg
    300wsm 185yds .297.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 870
IdahoCTD":j1dwl9cl said:
This is why I like mine. 3 shots at 185yds with 215 Bergers over 69grs of R-26 doing 2960fps .297". I shot 2 that were just over an inch apart at 660yds too.

Details Please.

I chrono’d my 180gn 300WSM running 75.8gn of Rl26 today at 3137 average with an SD of 9

Nice Cartridge!

26" #5 Brux barrel. It's built on a long action Remington 700 with a center feed Wyatt mag box. COAL is 3.194". Jewell trigger, McMillan Game Scout stock, blah blah blah :lol:

Guy Miner":533r44m7 said:
Scotty - I couldn't get mine to shoot the 200 gr AccuBond very well either - so I quit trying to feed it those bullets.

And I did once get silly and sell the rifle to a friend. Fortunately, a few months later I was able to buy it back.

Guess it's staying around. I might try some Partitions & such from it again here one of these days.

Guy

Ha.. glad I’m not the only one.

I could never get the 200 grain ABs to shoot in either of my 300 WSMs. However, it shoots 200 grain Sierra GKs very well, indeed.

IdahoCTD":xpwye7pq said:
26" #5 Brux barrel. It's built on a long action Remington 700 with a center feed Wyatt mag box. COAL is 3.194". Jewell trigger, McMillan Game Scout stock, blah blah blah :lol:

Wow.

Thank You.

I have not personally owned a the 300wsm but the more I play with my Son's 270wsm the more I am impressed with the short mag concept :wink:.
Originally everyone stated they were just a fad calibre that would not be around long but I can tell you here in Saskatchewan the 300wsm the 7wsm and the 270wsm have really made a strong showing and they are not going anywhere in the near future (y).

Blessings,
Dan

oh please,----- I have yet to meet the man who prefers short and fat over tall and thin----wait, we are talking about bullets---and in that case I still believe the 300 H & H is a much nicer looking cartridge than the 300wsm and it loads and ejects much smoother, while preforming the same function.

Of course in reference to both my points they preform the same, but men are "visual", well apparently not the men on this forum, when you look at how many actually like the fat short one.

I thought I would jump on here and give a different perspective to the " everybody loves the 300wsm" posts--------

I know most will take this post the right way and to those with no sense of humor just put me on ignore, it wont bother me, as my husband ignored me for years lol

Now, April, since I'm short and fat...

Well, you get the picture.

Back