will a 4-12 VX1 do ok on a 264

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I have a Vx1 4-12, unused that I got a good deal on and was thinking of putting that on my 264. I have never used a VX1. Are they ok scopes. I orginnally got it to replace the tasco 3x9 on my hornet, but the hornet shoots so good I haven't touched it. I have a 2-7 VXII with german post #2 reticle on my whelen and know that its a great scope. Just wondering about the VX1. or would I be better off getting a vx2 when my tax return comes

RogueRiver,

It all depends on what you are going to use the rifle for. The 4x12 power range will certainly cover almost any hunting situation, the question is low light.
If you are going to hunt in low light conditions, the VXII would be better and the VXIII better yet. These scopes have better grade lenses and anti reflection coatings which allow better light transmission.
The other thing to keep in mind is the turrent system. The VXI uses friction where the VXII and VIII use positive clicks. This is a much more reliable system and a must if you are doing to be dialing.

JD338

6ppcar":qlwqv1qb said:
That's a poor choice in my opinion, up grade like PoP an JD. said.
..........................In agreement with this statement!......However! Put the VX1 on for now! You can always up-grade later to the VX2 or 3 if the any low light hunting conditions call for it!........You`ll more than likely upgrade sooner or later anyway, but try it for now!

Sell the VX-I and buy the VX-II, I have the VX-I 3-9X40 on my .243 Win. It is a decent scope for the money but I don't care for the friction adjusments on it. The glass is good and I don't make adjustments to the zero unless I'm chaning grains of bullets or powder. I chose the VX-I simply for the power adjustment ring as I was having problems getting the bolt to clear scopes withoug having to go to high rings. If it is NIB you should be able to get close to full value of a new one out of it and then the upgrade to the VX-II isn't nearly as expensive.

RR,

The VXI will work, its technology is equivalent to my old VariX II scopes. The friction adjusters work OK for sighting in and minor sight changes, and the lenses and lens coatings are good. The VXII and VXIII are more of a good thing, but you may not need it. If you are shooting during the middle of the day, things will work well. If you need to shoot early or late, I would move up a line to the VXII or VXIII.

jim

The clicks are alot better. The friction scope could be used a while & then put on something else, that is true. BUT, if I am notmistaken, the 4X12 in a VX1 DOES NOT HAVE A ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE!!! This is not a big deal on a 3X9, but unforgivable on a 4X12. If I am right on this, it would be a BAD move.

Good point nomosendero.
IMHO, VXIII 4.5x14x40mm

Last scope you will ever buy for your rifle. There are some good deals out there for both new and used.

JD338

I had the same scope on a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker in .243 WSSM, the eye relief with the short stocked rifle was horrible. I ended up trading up for a VXIII - 2.5-8X36mm...this scope was a much better fit for the rifle and situation I was using it for. I'd check how it works on your .264 and go from there. It might be fine.

JD338":16m6sbkp said:
Good point nomosendero.
IMHO, VXIII 4.5x14x40mm

+1 Exellent scope. Low enough power to hunt in the darkest timber and high enough power to put that caliber to work where it has worked so well for me here in Wyoming, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy out there!!!

I Had gotten 2 $50 gift certificates for x-mas, then another 50 and 25 gift cert for my b-day for sportsmanwarehouse so the vx2 only cost me $214.00. that includes the $10 dollar off coupon I got for renewing with OHA- I think its a good deal

I am waiting for the dual dovetail leupold mount to get here so I can install the scope and shoot the rifle.

After I shoot it a bit I think I might send the scope in for a Leupold dot reticle to be installed. While its at Leupold is there anything else I should or might want to have done

RogueRiver":376t6fxv said:
After I shoot it a bit I think I might send the scope in for a Leupold dot reticle to be installed. While its at Leupold is there anything else I should or might want to have done

RR,

Sounds like you got yourself a good deal. Which VXII did you get?

Yes, The Leupold Custom Shop should be able to help you out.
You can get a regular dot or custom dot reticle based on your specific ballistics. If you are not going to shoot past the 500 yd mark, the Boone & Crockett reticle would be a dandy.
You could also get turrents if you decide to dial in ranges beyond 500 yds.

I have a contact at Leupold if you are interested.

JD338

I was just thinking of the Leupold dot, the reticle where the cross hairs taper down to the dot.

it's only $50 + 15 S&H

i had problems with my 6.6x20x50 leupold on my 264 win mag kept losing zero and would not adjust sent it back 3 times to get it fixed now it's on my 222 and i have a shepherd on her no problems with it now.leupold has gone south over the yrs .quality seems to be not as good.they fix em but it's a hassle,,

Check out a 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmaster. Comes with 1/4 MOA adjustable turrets and side A.O. I think it's more of a scope for less or equal price.

nomosendero":1ushvybb said:
BUT, if I am notmistaken, the 4X12 in a VX1 DOES NOT HAVE A ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE!!! This is not a big deal on a 3X9, but unforgivable on a 4X12. If I am right on this, it would be a BAD move.

I hate to be the dissenting voice (okay, that's not true :lol: ), but everyone is complaining about low light performance and you want to ADD elements that refract MORE light? I look at things a little differently. I have been looking for a scope for a light varminter / predator rifle that has been percolating in my mind, but am annoyed that Leupy doesn't make a VX II 4-12x40 without an AO, so will probably get a VX I 4-12x40 LR Duplex. I still see the VX I as being the better of any Bushnell at the Elite 3200 level or lower, better than the Weavers. Don't have any experience with Nikon or Pentax. And really, how big of deal is the friction adjustment? Didn't seem to bother me on all of my old Leupy 3-9s.

I'd say just run the scope for a while, and if it bugs you, replace it down the road. Besides, it always good to have a spare scope laying around for when a rifle starts randomly shooting bigger groups, you can switch scope to test if that's the problem.

Back