Winchester 264 Westerner

ram161

Beginner
Feb 26, 2006
Just picked up this Pre 64 Model 70 264 Westener. It was made in 1960
and was owned by a local hunter.
It has been well used but a solid gun. The Stock has had a different recoil pad added and the bluing as flacked off of the barrel.
Over all this gun is about 60% The bore looks bright and lands are well defined.
I paid less the what just a model 70 action goes for.
IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/Ram161_photos/IMG_0771.jp
g
IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

ram161

Nice find! Does it have a 24" or 26" barrel?
The 130 gr AB should shoot like a laser beam and the 140 gr AB should really stretch the barrel for you.

JD338

I't has a 26 inch barrel
The scope is an old 2.5-8 weaver and the adjustments are in the weaver bases . It is clear and the power ring adjust .
I will try some hand loads when i get some dies and see how it shoots.
Then I'll deciede if it will get refinnished or use the action for a 7mm stw build.

HEY!!!!!!

I have that same............

BLANKET!

oh, and nice rifle dude!

ram161":28jabw51 said:
I will try some hand loads when I get some dies and see how it shoots.
Then I'll decide if it will get refinished, or use the action for a 7mm STW build.

The stock does look pretty rough. I think I would have a gunsmith take the finish off the stock and clean the checkering up, and then put a new finish on it. I also would have him install one of the newer better looking and softer recoil pads. Then I would just put that stock away to keep should I ever want to make it look original. I would take the scope off and put it aside as well. It appears to be a keeper. There are some places you can send a scope to have it blued again and have it gone through and resealed. It does not cost that much.

The blueing also looked a little rough. I know they are worth more if you keep them ORIGINAL, but since it needs some TLC, I would also have a gunsmith reblue the action and barrel and KEEP IT a .264 WINCHESTER MAGNUM if the barrel is in good shape. It is a great cartridge with some long legs under it. As other's alluded to, the 130 and 140 grain AccuBond will make it lethal from antelope to elk and moose!! Oh don't change it to a 7mm STW kind sir. :cry: Keep her the 264 :!:

ram161 I forgot one more thing. I would get a Boyds JRS classic nutmeg laminate. It would look beautiful :!: :!: :!:

Boy- think I would lightly clean that stock up, maybe some boiled linseed and some 0000 steel wool or just a wood soap to clean it up...some stock wax and a little work on the patina and your favorite preservative. Then that that thing hunting. Or at leat to the trange. That would get some attention. It would be a testament to a fine rifle and the history that the person you bought it from gave it. If the barrel is still good and she closes up tight its meant to be shot. Specially in that caliber. Just my .02, but shes a classic, keep her that way, but use it!! CL

I would keep it a 264 WINMAG just for that fact that i own one myself and its an awsome caliber. I have an uncle that also has a 7mm stw and he is drooling over my 264.

I was looking at a gun identical to the one you got, at a pawn shop but they wanted about a grand for it. The stock was in a little better shape then yours but it wasnt anywhere near mint.

A 264 WM chambered in a pre-64 Winchester Westerner! What a great find. Congratulations. Maybe you'll shortly post some pics of how she shoots.

I had that exact gun in slightly better shape, AWESOME guns. It loved Retumbo and Noslers. I worked up to a hearty charge of retumbo with a 130 AccuBond and it was very accurate @ 3300 FPS. As I said, work up.... Be careful loading for that one until you know if it's been throated or where the lands are because of the odd throat winchester had on those. It was for a bullet that had two pressure bearing surfaces or some odd thing.
I traded mine away as I shot it lots and didn't want to be the one to wear out the barrel. I ran about 500 rounds thro it and traded it while it was still going strong.

JT.

That is a great find! Wow, a M70 Westerner in 264. I can't think of anything that screams long shots more than that rifle. I would definately get it cleaned up and get it out to the range. 264WM is an awesome round.

I saw a M77 Ruger at a gun shop yesterday with a dark blued barrel and a laminated thumbhole stock in 264 Win Mag. My buddy had to drag me out of the store. I have been wanting a 264 for a long time. Congratulations. Scotty

If it shoots good my plan is to refinish the stock and reblue . Though the stock looks rough it is all cosmetice. The finish has flacked off but no cracks or deep gouges. I think it will clean up good.
I can get a new recoil pad that looks like the original. I don't think the stock has been cut.
I will need to find a good smith to do the reblue and not buff out the barrel stampings.
Thanks for all the input.

chet":lxleoxbs said:
HEY!!!!!!

I have that same............

BLANKET!

oh, and nice rifle dude!

I do not have that blanket :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ram161 in all my suggestions I made in my post, I completely failed to tell you what a great find you got there. 8) I sort of got excited about you fixing it up and hunting with the darn thing that I failed to mention the obvious. :oops: :oops: Being one of the good ones, I bet that thing will feed rounds from the magazine like no-ones business :!: :!:

You have a great rifle there if the throat is not shot out on it. Be careful with the short throat on those. Your OAL will be pretty short compared to other 264 Win mag rifles. Winchester used a two step bullet diameter in their ammo so the nose of the bullet would ride the bore and the base would engrave in the rifling. I have a 264 Mag in a custom Rem 700 with a Shilen 27 3/4" barrel that is a screamer. Retumbo and 130 Nosler accubonds 3350 fps and will shoot in the .4's at 100. Those 130 accubonds really do a good job on deer.

Back