Winchester 70 D-I-Y trigger adjustment.

A

Anonymous

I took my "new to me" M70 7WSM apart. The trigger from the factory was entirely unsuitable. A few You tube videos later and I though "what the heck...".

From the factory I could suspend the barreled action from the trigger without it releasing. It took the weight of the action plus a pretty hard tug to get it to release the sear.

I scraped all the mess of hot glue out of there and using a 1/4" wrench adjusted the two nuts down the spring shaft, leaving about 1/8" space to the bottom. Result are a pretty good 4ish lb trigger pull that is smooth, creep free and about the right for a hunting rifle. Not as good as a Timney or Rifle Basix...but entirely acceptable for field shooting.

I did a few tests, including dropping the stocked rifle from 30" or so onto the butt and whacking the action pretty hard with a rubber mallet...sear held just fine.

Any other tests of the safety I may have missed?

After messing around with this (my first example of the old style M70 trigger)....why would they go to the box trigger? Seems pretty easy to adjust, not terribly complicated, and about as robust as rifle triggers get as well as not affected but dirt, grime and ice.

The old trigger was much better than the new style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certain the new trigger was dictated in no small measure by the legal department. Everything is affected by such decisions. The old triggers were simple and quite good.

Thebear_78":17k7w15j said:
The old trigger was much better than the new style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen... You and Mike nailed it.

With a small, flat fine stone they are amazing triggers that can be as good as any of the others, plus as you already said, dirt, grime, ice, etc won't stop them unless you literally soak them and freeze them under water.

I love my Pre64 triggers. Very easy to adjust down to a safe 2.5-3lbs which is what I strive for in all of mine. Can't say enough good. It wasn't called the Riflemans Rifles just because it shot like a devil... :lol:

After reading the posts I had to mention the old Remington "Walker" trigger. I know there was a big lawsuit which was formed around the fact that on "some" occasion the rifle decided to fire without touching the trigger so a new trigger was designed. All my Remington rifles have the old style trigger which is a very easy trigger to adjust and actually they feel very good at 2.5 lbs. The creep was easy to eliminate and I didn't have to stone anything. I also added a Tubbs firing pin assembly on my Remingtons' which I feel helped a bit.

I have 2 M70s I stoned and adjusted to a reasonable pull and the old 725 Remington factory trigger breaks like glass and has only been adjusted but the 1980's tang safety Rugger 77 has the best trigger of all my rifles.

Back