Winchester barrels

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
I have put 32 rounds down my 264 win mag and I am currently in the process of cleaning the barrel. I'm using my stand by copper cleaner, wipe-out, and so far I have gotten almost ZERO copper out. This barrel just does not seem to copper up, which I am thankful for but for the most part are Winchester barrels like this or did I just get an exceptional one?

I've had barrels from the old New Haven plant that were terribly rough, and some that were as smooth as a custom barrel. I currently have four rifles produced in the SC facility, and all are quite easy to maintain. I suspect that more care is devoted to barrels (and assembly of the rifles) in the new plant.

DrMike":2dzepp9u said:
I've had barrels from the old New Haven plant that were terribly rough, and some that were as smooth as a custom barrel. I currently have four rifles produced in the SC facility, and all are quite easy to maintain. I suspect that more care is devoted to barrels (and assembly of the rifles) in the new plant.

Thanks Mike. This barrel cleans up like a custom, for what came out copper wise it was hardly worth the time, but I'm glad I did as now I know.

I'm with Mike. Have a few that clean up really easily but some that require some soaking.

All of mine shoot well though. Glad yours is so slick Bill. All of mine took some time to settle down, or at least more than yours.

As I recall, Winchester/FN was real proud of the way they were making barrels in the new plant.

Personally, have had mixed results with Winchesters from the old plant. Both of my Model 70's are shooting well now, with little fouling, as is the Model of 1917, by Winchester.

Regards, Guy

Back