Winchester & lubalox

MNsportsman60

Beginner
Apr 23, 2007
Just like to get your opinion, There is some rumblings that MN may consider going lead free in the centerfire ammo requirements in the future. Trying to stay ahead of the curve I was searching for sources of E-tip ammo and came across Winchester CT (combined Technology) and they are selling accubonds and E-tips (yeah) but both of the their offerings have the lubalox coatings on them. I don't have any experience with this. I have heard more negatives than positives about moly coating but what about this stuff? Does it plug up rifling quicker? Do you need special cleaners to get it out? Since the E tips have a longer bearing surface and this stuff is supposed to reduce friction would it help keep velocities up with lower pressures? Or is this just snake oil from Winchester to get you to buy their Nickel plated cases with black noslers in them.

Steve

I won't say if it is bad or good because I truly don't know. Here is my experience with the "Darth Vader" bullets. They are just plain Ballistic Tips or Accubonds, nothing more. There is more black stuff on the patch after shooting the Lubalox coated bullets compared to standard bullets. It certainly is not moly. Winchester has had some special coating on their bullets for decades...remember Lubaloy? I feel that they are more of a marketing strategy with the shiny nickel cases and the black and silve bullet. They do look cool! I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them, but if they are handy then use them.

The Lubalox coating is supposed to reduce fouling, some folks claim a big difference, some don't. In any case, you don't have to treat Lubalox coated bullets any different than non coated ones.

The lubalox makes a big difference in my .338 Win. The 200gr BSST's produce a less fouling then the AB's.

Because of the increased friction, and increased pressures, E-tips don't really interest me....Coated E-tips might be a different matter. Especially if copper prices continue to decline.

Been shooting the BST in 7mm (140grn, 150grn) and 30cal(168grn, 180grn) for years never had a problem with excess fouling. They shoot good in my rifles and expand well. Works for me.

I love these bullets, VERY ACCURATE!!!
I bought the Winchester supreme silver ballastic tip bullets and so far, these are by far the most accurate load i have shot through my ruger hands down. Dont know if its the coating that makes a difference or not. I finally figured out the exact load that winchester uses in their factory ammo. Now i can reload my own!!! These are the only bullets i put through my 270 for deer now. As far as making the barrel more dirty............they do not make it any worse than normal. I have taken 2 deer with these bullets so far and they are devastating. Went out the other side leaving a silver dollar hole. Nosler has me sold on the CT Bullets.

Back