Winchester supreme 780?

widgeon

Handloader
Feb 19, 2011
I'm just getting ideas for this summer when I'll be able to start loading again and work up some 140AB's for my .270 win. Prior to moving to the east coast in October, I traded my remaing powders and primers ( 5 canisters that probably totaled about 2 lb) to a guy for a six pack of good beer. :mrgreen: So, I'll be starting from scratch in that department. I had good success with H4831 in the past and may start with either that or IMR 4831, but I am doing some research in to other options as well.

What can you all tell me about the 780?

Thanks,
Tony

I haven't tried W780 yet, but it was brought to market as the same powder used in many of the Winchester Supreme factory ammo offerings, the 270 Win being one of those. It would be one to consider as a top option if starting from scratch.

I used it in my .270 wsm with decent results using 130 and 140 grain bullets, the 150's were not as good though.

I heard some of the WSM's were loaded with some....

I've used a fair amount of 780 in a variety of cartridges. It is a good powder with application in a number of cartridges. My primary concern with Winchester's newer introductions is continued availability. I began to use WMR, and they ceased manufacturing the powder. Fortunately, I managed to grab a few pounds for those cartridges that I loaded with that propellant. I began to use WXR, and suddenly they ceased manufacturing the powder. Again, I grabbed what I could so I would have a dwindling supply for those cartridges that were benefitting from it. I've been somewhat reluctant to push 780 for this reason. I have no idea when Winchester will suddenly and without warning cease manufacturing the stuff. W780 appears to share some similarities with the long-discontinued W785, another powder that got people excited only to leave them wondering "What happened?"

I'm certainly hopeful that with Hodgdon managing the powder business for Winchester these days, that there may be some additional stability regarding availability of powders, long term. There are no guarantees, however.

For the record, I'd love a reintroduction of H870 and Accurate 8700, too. Both were stellar powders for a number of applications. I've hoarded up four pounds of 8700, but at 82gr per round in my 270Wby for one hyper accurate load, it won't last...

I'd love a reintroduction of H870 and Accurate 8700, too.

I'm down to my last three pounds of A8700 and three and a half pounds of H870. These are for my own use and not for others.

H870 and the 160 gr in the 7mm rem mag! Marriage made in heaven.

FOTIS":34zgpacx said:
H870 and the 160 gr in the 7mm rem mag! Marriage made in heaven.

That is just about my favorite combo out there. RL22 has really taken its place recently, but I still have a few pounds just in case. My old M70 7RM really sings with H870 and 140 and 160PT's

Interesting, Fotis. It would, indeed, be a good load. I used the H870 with a 175 Partition. It shot accurately and hit game with a tremendous impact.

I am telling you Doc. 80 gr H870 with 160 AB.

From my 700 FS 7mm rem mag 3100 fps and 3/4"at 300 yards.

DrMike":67vlv79l said:
I've used a fair amount of 780 in a variety of cartridges. It is a good powder with application in a number of cartridges. My primary concern with Winchester's newer introductions is continued availability. I began to use WMR, and they ceased manufacturing the powder. Fortunately, I managed to grab a few pounds for those cartridges that I loaded with that propellant. I began to use WXR, and suddenly they ceased manufacturing the powder. Again, I grabbed what I could so I would have a dwindling supply for those cartridges that were benefitting from it. I've been somewhat reluctant to push 780 for this reason. I have no idea when Winchester will suddenly and without warning cease manufacturing the stuff. W780 appears to share some similarities with the long-discontinued W785, another powder that got people excited only to leave them wondering "What happened?"
>>>>>>>>>>>> I couldn't agree more !!!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

widgeon":2keaxfzm said:

Thanks,
Tony

Well, I've worked with it in 7x57AI, .270 a little, .300 Win Mag, and 30/06.

First, the only truly outstanding results I've experienced with it was in the 7x57AI with a 160gr bullet. WLR primer and warm weather. This powder seems to be quite temperature sensitive as in warm weather this load shoots under an inch at 200 yards, but in colder temps it's terrible. This can happen with any powder, especially ball powders, but it seems significant with 780.

In the other calibers I got acceptable accuracy but velocity could be bettered by other powders. W785 was mentioned, I could get better velocity with 785 in the .270 Win than I can with 780 with 130 and 150gr bullets.

In the .270, ya can't go wrong with H-4831.. Unless you just have a burning desire to work with a new powder, I'd stick with H-4831.

RDub":2hia0xni said:
widgeon":2hia0xni said:

Thanks,
Tony

First, the only truly outstanding results I've experienced with it was in the 7x57AI with a 160gr bullet. WLR primer and warm weather. This powder seems to be quite temperature sensitive as in warm weather this load shoots under an inch at 200 yards, but in colder temps it's terrible. This can happen with any powder, especially ball powders, but it seems significant with 780.

In the other calibers I got acceptable accuracy but velocity could be bettered by other powders. W785 was mentioned, I could get better velocity with 785 in the .270 Win than I can with 780 with 130 and 150gr bullets.

In the .270, ya can't go wrong with H-4831.. Unless you just have a burning desire to work with a new powder, I'd stick with H-4831.

Have you worked with IMR4831? I was thinking of trying it, but not sure if I should deviate from a proven ( to me) powder for my .270win. I'm hoping to buy one canister of powder and go. Never seems to work out that way, but I'm still hoping. :mrgreen:

Have you worked with IMR4831? I was thinking of trying it, but not sure if I should deviate from a proven ( to me) powder for my .270win. I'm hoping to buy one canister of powder and go. Never seems to work out that way, but I'm still hoping. :mrgreen:[/quote]

IMR4831 is a good working powder in many calibers. What I think can be used in an even greater rage of calibers is IMR 4350.

Good performance of IMR 4831. Nothing negative about it other than it throws from the dispenser like crap because of the type of powder it is. So if you are someone...and I am not implying you are...who doesnt weigh every single reload...then IMR 4832 might not be for you.

I always throw less powder of IMR and then trickle in.

Maybe new powder thrower/dispensers there is one out there that will drop IMR to the exact weight every time but my Hornady thrower does not.

300wsm, thanks for the input. I don't load a lot of rounds at one time and don't own great equipment. One thing I do own is a powder trickler and generally do throw a light charge and bring each one up to wieght. Assuming that is the only issue with the IMR4831, would you think it would be much different than H4831? From my experience, H4831 can be tough to work with for the same reason, but Hodgdon makes the SC version to help with that. I have not used the SC, but have not had to split grains to come within my tollerances for a hunting cartridge.

p.s. forgive me for spelling errors. I'm working on an Ipad with no spell check.

I have no experience with Win 780 but do have a lot of experience with 140gr NAB and SSTs. I have had good success with IMR-4064 and IMR-4350 and H-4831SC gives me excellent results from a 22" Rem barrel.

This summer I'm going to mess with 140gr Partitions just because... My .270Win likes boattails but has been picky with flat based bullets. This is contrary to what most of my other rifles prefer. Usually I have to exert much more effort trying to find boattail loads that will suffice.

widgeon":r7zpbdzx said:
RDub":r7zpbdzx said:
widgeon":r7zpbdzx said:

Thanks,
Tony

Have you worked with IMR4831? I was thinking of trying it, but not sure if I should deviate from a proven ( to me) powder for my .270win. I'm hoping to buy one canister of powder and go. Never seems to work out that way, but I'm still hoping. :mrgreen:

Yes, but in this rifle it did not produce the best groups. In another .270 I had a while back, I got superb groups with IMR4831. So you never know until you try it.

In the rifle I have now, H-4831 gave me the best performance with 130gr Ballistic Tips.
Rx-22 gave the best performance with 150gr Sierra's.

Back