Wood or Composite

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I am looking at getting a new Browning X-bolt for deer hunting, i am thinking of going with the wood stock Hunter model, or should i just go with the Composite Stalker?

Composite for a workhorse! Plus it does not break my heart when I paint then over and over again!

Here you go 270 Win re done in maroon and black!

downsized951023001716-1-1.jpg

I like wood, but for an every-day, hunt in nasty weather, drop it off a cliff rifle, I'll take a McMillan. Plus, you can get them in cool colors!

Went on a tough coyote hunt a couple of weeks ago up in WY... a little windy, and a constant light wet snow. Two days of hunting later, I got home and discovered that the rifle weighed 7oz more than it did before I left. When I took it apart (Rem. 700)... the stock had swollen so much, that I had to pry the mag box out of the stock with a flat-head screwdriver. Not the first incident of such I can site... but it'll be the last. I'll take a plastic factory ADL stock over any hunk of lumber you could float my way....

......OFF WITH WOOD!

A sound composite stock is superior in every way.... that's right, I said it... Why, you boys like looking at other guys wood? I s'pose if you do have to swing that way... a laminate isn't a bad way to go... though they are a little hefty.

I like both, depending on the circumstances. I enjoy handling and shooting a nice wood rifle, as well as the way they look. I've also got good synthetics (and some tupperware) for days when the weather is nasty. The best of both worlds. To answer the OP question, I think it depends on two things. What do you already have in the safe? And, what is the intended purpose of the rifle? If you have a bunch of synthetics and the purpose is just regular old hunting, you could always use it on fair weather days, and the hunter stock would be perfect. (And, Browning has some nice wood on some of their guns, too....) But, if you have a safe full of wood stocks, and you need a rifle for those foul weather days, get the synthetic. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Always wood for me. I love the look of a nice chunk of walnut! Also, I fully bed all of my rifles and wood is a heck of a lot easier to work with.

A while back I got a very good deal moneywise on a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic in .338 Win. Mag. The POS Tupperware stock is so unstable that I cannot get a group at all out of the gun. Only patterns. My buddy says, You're flinching, let me shoot it." Guess what? His groups were worse than mine. :shock: I haven't decided whether I want to take it to a gun show and trade it off on something else or put the money into a decent stock. Right now I'm closer to the former rather than the latter. :(
Paul B.

I don't know what is more impressive......

the paint job on that red/white/blue stock or the confidence you have to let it sit like that for a photo shoot. :shock:

PJ, if you got a good deal on the gun, and you think you want a 338, I'd strongly consider getting a new stock for it (~$250 for a B&C Medalist). You won't be out too much, and you will have a great rifle, tuned to how you like it. If you had a lot of money tied up in it, a new stock isn't as economical, I think. But that's up to you, obviously.

Wise words from dubyam. Paul, you should be able to make that rifle into a shooter that will do you proud.

I've always thought a nice walnut stock is great for appearance and perfectly suitable if you're only taking the rifle to a range, etc. But for hunting, it's synthetic all the way for me. I don't have to worry about scratches or dings in the wood and if it gets wet I don't have to worry about the situation Songdog mentioned.

Ron

I primarily shoot Ruger No. 1s so I'm not even in the slightest interested in disgracing a fine rifle with plastic. Even my custom built 10/22 has a custom walnut stock on it.

Walnut all the way for me. I've got one synthetic stocked hunting rifle, well two if you count a project that is in desperate need of a piece of walnut.

I can appreciate the virtues of quality composite stocks, but a well sealed wood stock should not be a detriment in all but the worst of conditions. A few nicks and scratches just add character and represent fond memories.

I have plans for a synthetic stocked rifle or two in the future, but many more in wood. I've been thinking of trying a laminate as well.

There are cases for both. I've gone to laminates for my wood stock working rifles. The real backcountry guns are synthetic because it's lighter and dependable. The wood stock beauties are for sunny days and nostalgia. That's my take on the subject.
Greg

Back