Wood or Composite

ROVERT":1addc566 said:
I fixed one my two deer rifles that had the poor sense to leave the factory in plastic.

Before:

DSC09062.JPG

After:

DSC09863.JPG

DSC09868.JPG

DSC09870.JPG

It is a .270 111 DBM. I ordered a 114 Compact stock from Numrich which arrived today. It was supposedly for a side bolt release rifle, but I had to inlet it for the bolt release. I also had to remove a little material for the mag to fit properly. Its looking much better and should be a great rifle for my kids someday. My kids are 2 and 3 1/2 and I'm already putting together rifles for them.

Nice work Trevor! Looks really good.

As much as I appreciate the heavy duty qualities of a good synthetic stock, most of my hunting has been with wood stocked rifles. Well sealed, straight grained wood works well and looks great.

Both have their place. No synthetic stock will ever have the presence of a fine piece of carved walnut. On the other hand, I don't worry about my synthetics if they get banged up on the rocks or spend a day in the rain.

Guy Miner":8p7cxrxx said:
As much as I appreciate the heavy duty qualities of a good synthetic stock, most of my hunting has been with wood stocked rifles. Well sealed, straight grained wood works well and looks great.

Same here. Between the laminates and wood, they all get hunted pretty often. Gotta grab some was and give them a good coat, now that I am thinking about it!

Back