Wood or Composite

Nutmeg laminate, crisp sharp checkering, pillared and bedded oh my! Gives me the vapors just looking at it. Makes a guy want to go grab it out of the gun safe and fondle it ever so gently. :lol:
David

C0E6.jpg

002.jpg

Boyd's JRS with the lazer cut checkering I presume? Good looking stocks to be sure... though I gravitate toward the salt/pepper...

I do like laminated stocks... and can stand them on varmintish type rifles.... the last two JRS Rem. 700 LA/BDL stocks I had from Boyd's weighed 40+oz. I prefer the Bell and Carlson Carbelite with sound epoxy/pillar bedding to the laminate, as they're about the same amount of dough... and require about the same amount of sweat/love to make truly shootable... but the B&C comes in well over a 1/2 pound lighter and I've used them for 20 years now.

300WSM":2zf7022m said:
I don't know what is more impressive......

the paint job on that red/white/blue stock or the confidence you have to let it sit like that for a photo shoot. :shock:

The colors are in the outer shell of the stock, so it's not technically paint.

And there was absolutely no way, outside of about an R.S. 6 earthquake, that thing was moving. The bottom of that stock has about a 3" wide flat bottom.

If I have to choose it'll be wood. I have had good luck with my wood stocks. If you finish them all around in the action inlets and barrel channel they hold up well. I've even waxed them to seal the checkering. There is a place in my safe for both - I hope I never have to give up one for the other.
Scott

Songdog":16ye4hes said:
Boyd's JRS with the lazer cut checkering I presume? Good looking stocks to be sure... though I gravitate toward the salt/pepper...

Boyds JRS nutmeg laminate yes, but hand cut by a lady who is the lead checker at Cooper Arms in Stevensville.

The rest of you guys following Songdog, those are some wonderful photographs! Wow!
David

There aren't many things that make a guy as happy as a beautiful wood stock. OK, there are quite a few but, it really boils down to versatility.

Whatever makes YOU happy is the best choice.

crap i thought i would be the first with the arctic camo stock, oh well i guess i will be the first with the artcic camo A3 sporter. I did get the 6.5 barrel back from getting spiral fluted by kampfeld kustoms the rail is coming from bat machine and my smith is threatening to get started on it today so we shall see. if you guys ever want a barrel fluted without tooling marks left in it talk to kampfeld kustoms i have had two done and they were both done and back in seven days.

BK, I'm with ya on the mcswirlys, most STABLE stocks I have ever used.

Can't beet the toughness and choice of colors at Mcmillan. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• alaska 085.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 409
  • alaska 089.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 409
  • alaska 075.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 409
All the credit goes to BOB HART at RWHART in PA. It would be interesting to see a thread of the different colored Mcswirlys of members on this site. Should start a Mcswirly thread!!!!!!!

That's a fine looking stock! I have a Ruger Classic coming for my Hawkeye SS .358 in a 60% light green/40% white mix. I hope it's as handsome as yours.

BK":2rt6lzzf said:
That's a fine looking stock! I have a Ruger Classic coming for my Hawkeye SS .358 in a 60% light green/40% white mix. I hope it's as handsome as yours.

That little Ruger 358 is going to be a sweet rifle Kurt. Love the 358. Talk about alot of juice in a little package.

If I only had the Ruger SS Hawkeyes in .308 and .358, I think I could get by...

(Did I really just say that?)

I fixed one my two deer rifles that had the poor sense to leave the factory in plastic.

Before:

DSC09062.JPG

After:

DSC09863.JPG

DSC09868.JPG

DSC09870.JPG

It is a .270 111 DBM. I ordered a 114 Compact stock from Numrich which arrived today. It was supposedly for a side bolt release rifle, but I had to inlet it for the bolt release. I also had to remove a little material for the mag to fit properly. Its looking much better and should be a great rifle for my kids someday. My kids are 2 and 3 1/2 and I'm already putting together rifles for them.

Back