woodleigh bullets

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
Any thoughts on the woodleigh bullets looking at the 140gr in 7mm caliber looking to use it in the 7mm-08 and possible the 280. Any pros/cons is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Their website is really good, and lists a performance window for each bullet, and there should be pics of expanded projectiles at different velocities.

DrMike":1di7e7kw said:
First rate bullets that are noted for their performance.

Very well bonded from the few I have stuffed into the water jugs as well. They expand wide and hold onto their weight. Also, if you speak to them, their upper window is really just a guideline from the tech I spoke to. They mentioned you can't hardly push them fast enough to destroy them. I like them and have a few boxes to monkey with in the Mashburn.

Thanks for the info, how do they compare say to the Partition or AccuBond.
They seem to be cheaper in price and there is some available so may just try
them instead of looking for the others. From what I see on there site just load them
like you would the Partition does that sound correct SJB358.
Thanks

stew":3hauy3sz said:
Thanks for the info, how do they compare say to the Partition or AccuBond.
They seem to be cheaper in price and there is some available so may just try
them instead of looking for the others. From what I see on there site just load them
like you would the Partition does that sound correct SJB358.
Thanks

I actually losd them a little further from the lands, but yeah, just like any other Bonded bullet.

They are tough Bullets. Tempted to try some of the 175's outta my 7mm this year if they shoot.

I'm following this thread because I am thinking of trying the 180 grain in a 300 win mag. All I've read says they are tough and should be good for 400 LB and heavier animals. Just me thinking that if you wanted a bullet to expand violently then these might not be them. If on the other hand you want them to stay together and get an exit then they might be the cat's meow..............

c. schutte":6eovomos said:
I'm following this thread because I am thinking of trying the 180 grain in a 300 win mag. All I've read says they are tough and should be good for 400 LB and heavier animals. Just me thinking that if you wanted a bullet to expand violently then these might not be them. If on the other hand you want them to stay together and get an exit then they might be the cat's meow..............

Going to load some up in the 7mm Mashburn pretty quick I think. If I can I will put them into water jugs. I'm fairly excited to see what they will look like.

Scotty,

All I've read says they are excellent bullets that will hold up no matter what. They'll keep expanding until they turn inside out while retaining close to 90%. If true that is one tough "mutha"............. They might be an excellent choice for the 300 win mag in 180 grain (protected point) because they will open easily being a simi- spitzer and they have close to .435 B.C.

The same bullet in a .284, 175 grains is .510 B.C.? If you get one of those things launched at close to 3K while up at 8 to 9000 feet elevation, you should have a bullet capable of 700 yards for elk. And the woodleigh will not stop expanding like other bullets will, you might get 3x if they hit enough resistance? That mashburn pushing a woodleigh at those speeds would make the bullet expand better than a .338 using a Partition. What a freakin combination that would be????

Probably not an accident you got so excited with that cartridge???

c. schutte":248ry9bj said:
Scotty,

All I've read says they are excellent bullets that will hold up no matter what. They'll keep expanding until they turn inside out while retaining close to 90%. If true that is one tough "mutha"............. They might be an excellent choice for the 300 win mag in 180 grain (protected point) because they will open easily being a simi- spitzer and they have close to .435 B.C.

The same bullet in a .284, 175 grains is .510 B.C.? If you get one of those things launched at close to 3K while up at 8 to 9000 feet elevation, you should have a bullet capable of 700 yards for elk. And the woodleigh will not stop expanding like other bullets will, you might get 3x if they hit enough resistance? That mashburn pushing a woodleigh at those speeds would make the bullet expand better than a .338 using a Partition. What a freakin combination that would be????

Probably not an accident you got so excited with that cartridge???

With the BBCs going to about 3/4's to 7/8's they were wicked killers. The Mashburn should get the 175's up to 3050-3100 pretty easily.

If the Woodleighs will do similar I'll give them a shot. That sorta wide, flat expansion seems to really slow things down in a hurry.

c. schutte":ewu2irrn said:
They would put the .284 caliber in a new directory................................

Truly reiterates the meaning of it's the Bullet, not what's stamped on the case. Great bullets allow a lot of things that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

longrangehunter":2t5n7q6z said:
I have two-three boxes of them laying around in 7mm, only they are the 160 gr. PP I was going to use in my 280 AI.

Well, don't let them go to waste buddy!

SJB358":1fvjkgv0 said:
longrangehunter":1fvjkgv0 said:
I have two-three boxes of them laying around in 7mm, only they are the 160 gr. PP I was going to use in my 280 AI.

Well, don't let them go to waste buddy!
I hear 'Ya! After the first few years of shooting and testing my 280 AI Jarrett with different bullets I decided why bother when the two loads Kenny gave me worked so well! Although I did have to back them off a bit, the 150 BT was way too Hot! The first two rounds I ever put into the gun blew the primers! :shock: I thought Oh No, not another Ed Brown move! :evil: I called Kenny and he asked that I just reduce the load, so I ended up doing that with both loads sent with the gun. Easy fix really! (y) My first thought was the high elevation I was living at 6,000'+ vs. the 203' in Jackson SC where the ammo was assembled?

That was almost two decades ago, and I still use the two loads he gave me, a Nosler 150 BT, and a 175 Partition. Speaking of which I just saw a partial 20 rd. box of 160 TSX's I developed w/RL-22. I remember using that powder with the 160 North Fork bullets I was testing too. Like you I was testing this and that, only to put it away so when I wanted to get back to hunting with it again I still have a barrel left. :roll: :cry: Somewhere I have a logbook with the number of rounds I've tested, and/or shot through that gun?

Maybe one day I'll test those Woodleighs Scotty with the four or five boxes I have from the first run of Nosler 280 AI brass I still have! When I saw those I had to have them! God that was a long time ago!

HA! I understand all of that. I goof around with different stuff, but I don't think most of you would lose any money with betting on a Nosler in my rifle when it actually comes to hunting.

Back