Worn out AccuBond

ss7mm

Beginner
Nov 13, 2004
I have read recently about people's questions regarding Nosler's AccuBonds. I have been using them in my 7mm Wby Mag and they work great for me. If I do my part the gun will put 3-5 shots into .5" or a little over at 100 yards with corresponding groups at longer ranges. Normally you don't get to recover them from animals harvested but during deer season this year I got to recover one. I had been watching the 3 point mule deer for about ten minutes. He would periodically stop feeding and jump and run a few feet and look uphill. Evidently something was bothering him but I never did see what it was. He had done this twice when I thought he had settled down and I took the shot at 356 yards. At the instant of recoil, and just before the gun came up a little at the shot, I saw him start his nervous jump again, but it was too late, the pill was on it's way down the tube. He turned slightly during his movement, and before the bullet arrived so the broadside shot turned into a quartering shot. The 160 grain AccuBond out of my 7mm Wby Mag took him in the rear of the right front shoulder and I recovered it while skining under the skin on the rear of the left rear quarter. It traveled alomost full length but held together and did the job. Pics of recovered bullet and gun are enclosed. I didn't have the camera with me, and with schedules and hunt changes I never got a picture of the deer. Just thought the pics of the recovered bullet might be of interest.
DSC00894%20jpg%20mix.jpg

DSC00921%20jpg%20mix.jpg

DSC00924.JPG

In discussions about the AccuBonds the thing that comes up is the way that the lead and the jacket are bonded and what the final result is. In these two additional pics you can see that the core is bonded and stays in tact right out to the edges of the peeled jacket. The frontal view also shows that the remaining core is fully intact.
DSC00896%20jpg%20mix.jpg

DSC00905%20jpg%20mix.jpg

SS,

Very nice pics and an interesting story. The only place you can see that far in the area I hunt is down a major road :lol: . Say, I guess I am ignorant but what are those black things on each side of your scope adjustment turrets?

Long

Long:
The black object in the front is a scopelevel and info can be found here: http://scopelevel.com/
The black object in the rear is the Angle Cosine Indicator and info can be found here: http://www.snipertools.com/
The scope level helps you keep from canting your rifle which makes a big difference at longer ranges. If time allows you simply put the level up, make sure the level indicates that your gun is level and then the tilting problem should be eleiminated if you do your part.
The ACI is used to help you allow for uphill or downhill angles which have to be accounted for at longer ranges. The one on my gun is the newest version and you simply sight your rifle uphill or downhill at the object of interest, look in the window and use that number as a multiplier to adjust for the uphill or downhill angle.

Long:
Here is a picture of one of the areas where we hunt deer, and sometimes elk. The view is from 900-1000 yards away. There are places where you can sometimes spot deer in the cliffs and rocks at ranges up to 1500 yards. You can see that the angles can be great at times for the ACI comes in handy. Also you can see the possible long range shots that would be effected by canting of your rifle.
DSC00888%20web.jpg

Aren't long range shots great! Living in Wyoming I get more than my fair share of cracks ato 500 + yard shots.

I haven't had the privlage of recovering one of my accubonds yet. All of mine have completely exited. Nice to see the performance looks perfect.

perkins42: Long range shots are great if you are prepared and know exactly where the bullet will hit at any range. Part of my year round fun is shooting all summer and really, all year round, at ranges to 1000 yards and more. Becoming proficient at longer ranges on inanimate objects make the shorter shots at game animals all that much easier. When you can pop milk jugs at 600-800+ yards then deer and elk at shorter ranges become chip shots if conditions are right. Clay targets make great targets at ranges up to 600-800 yards. Get your shooting capabilities honed and the clay pigeons are very satisfying when they puff at extended ranges. I limit shots on game animals to ranges and conditions that assure me of a clean kill. All shots I take are ranged with laser range finders and drop tables and ballistic tables combined with the laser range finder mean that if I do my part the bullet impacts where it should. I love hunting and the added precise nature of long range shooting makes the hunt even more fun. Coyotes and chucks at long range make great practice. Get to where you can pop a coyote at 600-800 yards and an elk at 500 becomes a very realistic shot. I’m not saying long range is for everyone but if you put in your time and do it year round then the long range shots are very doable and knowing that you spent the time practicing and that you are proficient at the range you are shooting is a very satisfying feeling. :grin:

What was the muzzle velocity of your load? I'm going to try the 160 gr. accubonds in my 7mm saum. They look like they're the real deal. Also, what scope do you have on your rifle?

The load I use gives me 3050 fps avg. velocity at 3' from the muzzle. The scope is the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 with the Boone & Crocket reticle.

This was a group I shot recently with this rifle and load combo.
265008.JPG

How did you mount the ACI on your scope? It looks like a pretty useful item. Also, does it add much weight to your rifle?

I used Weaver type ring that mounted on the scope and the base of the ring attaches to the ACI. There are different types of mounts that can be used. You can also mount the ACI to a special mount that attaches to a Picatinny type rail if that's the type of base you use.

Back