WT 2015 Antelope

I don't have time now to post pictures but I made it home and we had a great hunt. 4 tags punched in 2.5 days. I did miss a monster and ended up shooting a smaller buck later in the hunt, but that happens. We learned a lot from this hunt. The good news is that after the 13 hour ride home my buddy asked about applying for tags again soon.

What we learned:
1. Trust the range finder
2. Practice with the range finder before hand like you practice with your rifle
3. Leather gloves and canvas pants are needed to keep thorns out of the body
4. Have a game cart to get animals out of the field
5. Trust the range finder

Very, very happy to hear of your success! 4 tags in 2.5 days huh? Good pace!

My pard and I leave Weds after work & drive straight thru to Lance Creek with plans of filling 4 doe tags in 3.5 days. Tent camping; can't wait!

Looking forward to seeing pics,

Eric

Well done WT! Filling all your tags is a plus when the rive is that long. Good to hear all made it home safe. ANY day antelope hunting is better than a day at work. Nice that you got to see a good buck... That is disappointing but still a treat. CL

Sounds as if you had a great hunt. Congratulations. Four tags in two and a half days? Not bad! Not bad at all. (y)

We arrived in out hunting area around 1pm and by 2:30, my buddy had his buck on the ground. After taking care of things, we went for a ride and I passed up a few smaller bucks that didn't get me excited. Day 2 was a tough day for me. I missed a really nice buck 2 miles back off the road. We were with him and his heard for an hour and when I finally took the shot, it went over his back. We were sitting in the sage and getting a good reading was very difficult. Before the shot, we talked and both guessed the buck at 300. After the miss, we looked it over and realized he was closer to 225. I simply shot over him and was sick about it but the lesson was learned and would not happen again. After that, we went to check out some new land and lost 3 hours of driving and not seeing much due to the landscape. It was classic mule deer county so that didn't help moral. Lastly, the wind was blowing 25-30 which was keeping the antelope down for the day. So all in all, day 2 was a bust. The plan for day 3 was to go back to where we missed the big one but as we were driving out, we spotted a buck that from the road looked nice in the early morning light. We made a good sneak on him and he looked good so I settled on him and shot. He went 100 yards and was done. We were pumped and I said I was happy with him no matter what because it was day 3 and time was running short along with the fact that the animals were aware it was hunting season and were skiddish. As I walked up to him, there was ground shrinkage but that happens. He was mine and I was happy. Not the monster of my dreams but I made a good stalk and shot on him. By that time, it was only 8:30 so we took care of him and drove to the spot we wanted to hunt just to see if the big boy was there. What we found was a truck with 2 other hunters in the spot and no animals around. I had made the right decision to shoot my buck. Knowing it was early and that we had 2 doe tags for a different zone, we went for a ride and by 11:30 found a doe on BLM land that we were able to stalk and get. With one tag left we decided to hit one last road and right at the end of it found the last animal of the trip to go after. That doe made the mistake of stopping at 233 yards which allowed the 25-06 to bark and drop her.

It was a great time to be with a buddy and to learn about hunting antelope on the prairie. On the 13 hour ride home, we started planning our next trip and talking about how big of bucks we are going to shoot.

I want to thank everyone here that helped make this a great hunt. Dr.Vette and efw were great at providing me with information. Thanks guys. Now on to planning the next hunt.

Friends buck.

My buck

One of the does

Looks to have been a successful hunt in every way. Again, congratulations to both of you. (y)

Awesome work man that's fantastic! Really glad it worked out so well! Pronghorn are an absolute hoot to chase!

I'm hoping to have pics of my pard & me w/ 4 does in the next several days!

efw":3nug1zs5 said:
Awesome work man that's fantastic! Really glad it worked out so well! Pronghorn are an absolute hoot to chase!

I'm hoping to have pics of my pard & me w/ 4 does in the next several days!

And we'll be looking forward to your pictures! Good luck in your hunt.

I shot my buck with the 270 shooting 130 Btips. The shot was a little back but got liver and the back of the lung. The does were shot with the 25-06 shooting 110 AccuBonds. All ammo did the job when the shooter did his.

Back