WY Antelope Zone?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am looking at applying for a buck tag in zone 7 because I have a lead on some land but they did not have left over doe tags last year so I a guessing they will not offer them this year. I am wondering what zone would have the most public land to hunt for a few does near zone 7? Looking at last years numbers, zones 24, 23, 4, 5, 19, and 22 had left over doe tags that I would be willing to travel to in order to hunt if we tag out on bucks. Also, when we apply, is there a way to not be awarded a doe tag if we don't get a buck tag in zone 7? I would hate to waste my point on a doe tag in an area where there will be left overs.

Or, would we be better off just applying for a buck tag in zone 7 and if we get one, try to buy left over reduced tags in one of the areas listed above?

I hope that is clear to those who understand the WY system.

Do you know if the left over tags were not offered, or where they sold out? All the leftover tags I went for last year sold out within a few hours of them being available. I don't think that you'd loose your point if the doe is your second choice. According to the preference point explanation:

"Drawing a license for your second or third choice does not cause preference points to be deleted and the applicant will still be awarded a preference point for the year.

For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, an applicant will lose all accumulated preference points if they draw their first choice license in the initial limited quota drawing or if they fail to purchase a preference point in the initial drawing or during the appropriate application period for two (2) consecutive years."

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elsapplication/docs/preferencepoint.htm

You could always call the Wyo G&F and get a solid answer.

Not sure if you've seen this, but if you go to this link, it will give you areas for walk-in hunting. Click on the county and then click on the green area in the map and it will give you a more detailed map of the area. Scroll down to view hunting information. http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmWalkinHuntingHome.aspx

I completely understand what you are saying Wyo7200. The issue I am having is simple. I don't want to put in for a second unit for doe tags and then not get our first choice buck tags. I only want to hunt in one zone for bucks and if we don't draw, I don't want to get stuck having to pay for doe tags that we will not be traveling west to use. If we don't get buck tags, we are not going west. The areas where I am looking had doe tags last year and again this year. Last year they were still available when the season was open.

Learning a new state's system is not an easy task at times.

Understood. I see you what your wanting to do now. I don't think they allow you to pull your doe application if you don't draw for a buck. I know you could donate unused tags to a program they have for Veterans.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001196.aspx

I'm still learning Wyoming's G&F website... I find difficult to navigate and the links aren't always where you think they should be or they take you to last years information. It's hell trying to find information on archery.

Put in for your preferred zone, but put in for another impossible-to-get one as a second chance. That way if you don't get your first you probably won't get your second, and you just get a preference point.

FYI traveling out there and hunting doe only is still a LOT of fun.

Dr. Vette, wouldn't just leaving the second choice open still let us keep our point even if we didn't draw on the first choice?

Yes, you will earn a BP even if you do not apply for a second choice.

I would apply where you want to hunt bucks, and then buy left over doe tags in that unit or one adjacent or along your travel route. Good luck in the draw! Antelope are a ton of fun to hunt!

I just saw this when I was putting in for my draw. Im not sure if they offer it for non-residents, but it would be stoopid if they didn't. This was in the reduced price doe/fawn antelope application.

WITHDRAWAL BLOCK:
This block is to be checked only if the applicant wishes to withdraw his/her Reduced Price Cow/Calf Elk, Reduced Price Doe/Fawn Deer or Reduced Price Doe/Fawn Antelope applications from the drawings in the event the person is not issued a Full Price license in the initial drawings for Elk, Deer or Antelope. The withdrawal of Reduced Price Cow/Calf Elk, Reduced Price Doe/Fawn Deer or Reduced Price Doe/Fawn antelope applications from the drawings is not linked to hunt areas. Therefore, it is possible to draw reduced priced and full priced licenses for different hunt areas when the withdrawal box is not checked. If the withdrawal block is checked, the application will be removed from the drawing, regardless if a Full Price application was submitted.

So it looks like you have that option to withdraw if your desired tag doesn't get drawn.

Dr. Vette":cjvemei1 said:

No doubt!!

I hunted 7 in '10, and took my son to 26 in '14, but am saving PPs for a red desert hunt.

This year a hunting pard & I are buying as many doe tags as we can and taking a long weekend to run out, fill as many as we can in a few days of hunting, and come home w/ a car full of meat and a fantastic adventure to remember!

Doe pronghorn are a blast and a half to chase!

efw":3s42z414 said:
Dr. Vette":3s42z414 said:

No doubt!!

I hunted 7 in '10, and took my son to 26 in '14, but am saving PPs for a red desert hunt.

This year a hunting pard & I are buying as many doe tags as we can and taking a long weekend to run out, fill as many as we can in a few days of hunting, and come home w/ a car full of meat and a fantastic adventure to remember!

Doe pronghorn are a blast and a half to chase!

The Red Desert is a great place to chase some really big antelope. Tags are tough to get but well worth it if you do get drawn. We are applying again this year for both buck and doe tags. This is a guided hunt with my fearless goat guide, Fotis. (y)

JD338

Back