WY Elk!!

Congratulations on your draw, Cody is my favorite Wyoming town. The Buffalo Bill Museum is located there with one of the largest antique and old rifle and pistol collections. Fredrick Remington paintings and bronze statutes as well as other artists, and one wing dedicated to American Indian history. Plan for at least a 1/2 day there. The mountains are inspiring, and always tough to adjust to because of the elevation. It takes me three or 4 days to adjust, I always go early and scout on foot. I went just over 9,000 feet three different days last season. You can not exercise enough. I am sure your guide will fill you in on what you need to bring with you and fitness. Good luck.

Elkman":27nvflh7 said:
Congratulations on your draw, Cody is my favorite Wyoming town. The Buffalo Bill Museum is located there with one of the largest antique and old rifle and pistol collections. Fredrick Remington paintings and bronze statutes as well as other artists, and one wing dedicated to American Indian history. Plan for at least a 1/2 day there. The mountains are inspiring, and always tough to adjust to because of the elevation. It takes me three or 4 days to adjust, I always go early and scout on foot. I went just over 9,000 feet three different days last season. You can not exercise enough. I am sure your guide will fill you in on what you need to bring with you and fitness. Good luck.

Great info! I'm still deciding on driving vs. flying. Regardless I plan on allowing a full day before and after the hunt in Cody. I'll be sure to fit some of this in my agenda.

We will drive south out of town a bit and then have a 10 mile ride in to the base camp. From there we will ride daily to look for elk. The guide told me to ride as much as I can from now until the hunt to be used to the saddle. He also said to lose the 15lbs. we call carry around extra in our middle age. The only thing that sucks is there is no substitute for altitude. Especially when going from Virginia to 9,000 feet. The only saving grace is that I've snowboarded in Colorado and Taos (Taos was about 10-12k feet) and wasn't impacted by altitude....and I was in equally as poor shape.

Time to put the work in on the stairmaster, treadmill, and eat better.

I'll be sure to post some questions on here as they come up in advance.... you experienced guys can be a huge help.

TDMVA":orplqqih said:
Great info! I'm still deciding on driving vs. flying. Regardless I plan on allowing a full day before and after the hunt in Cody. I'll be sure to fit some of this in my agenda.
While not quite as far, I always drive from MI out west.
The journey is usually quite enjoyable and relaxing.

In addition, the cost of shipping elk meat back to VA will not be cheap. Hauling it back in the truck is quite a bit less money.

Dr. Vette":116xqrr1 said:
TDMVA":116xqrr1 said:
While not quite as far, I always drive from MI out west.
The journey is usually quite enjoyable and relaxing.

In addition, the cost of shipping elk meat back to VA will not be cheap. Hauling it back in the truck is quite a bit less money.

That's a fact! I'm just trying to convince my buddy from Boston to fly into St. Louis, I'll pick him up there, and we can go the rest of the way. Same on the return trip. Then I can bring his meat to VA and ship it to him from here which should save a few bucks for him.

Look into BeachBody.com for workouts. $99 for a one year membership and you will not get bored with doing planks, pushups and treadmill. I did p90x3 from September-Christmas and lost 15 pounds. I'm in the middle of Shift Shop now. This summer, I plan on doing p90x3 again or one of the other programs. I do it in my basement with a few hand weights and a pull up bar. No need for a gym membership or travel to workout.

My motivation picture is a picture of a guy with a 6x6 rack on his pack frame!!!!

Well, time is coming near. I have almost everything packed, food is ready, and I just shot out to 300 one more time to double check my rifle. This summer/fall I have been working out with P90x3 and feel like I'm in decent shape. We leave in a few days for the mountains and I will hope to post some kill pictures in a few weeks.

Good luck. I'm leaving in an hour for Colorado. A day and a half driving, we pack in Friday morning. Should be at camp by noon Friday. Ours is an outfitted drop camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy yourselves :wink: and I hope that you get a crack at a couple of nice Elk!!
Please remember Shoot Straight, have Fun & most of all be Safe!!
I can’t wait for you story with lots of photos (y) !

Blessings,
Dan

wisconsin teacher---good luck and enjoy your hunt

Don, best of luck to you as well in Colorado. Your niece just knocked down a blackmail in Oregon, you just got back from a summer of fishing in Alaska and your headed to Colorado for an Elk Hunt. Do you need or want a cook and bottle washer to tag along with you all year ? lol

Europe":1btwwsx9 said:
wisconsin teacher---good luck and enjoy your hunt

Don, best of luck to you as well in Colorado. Your niece just knocked down a blackmail in Oregon, you just got back from a summer of fishing in Alaska and your headed to Colorado for an Elk Hunt. Do you need or want a cook and bottle washer to tag along with you all year ? lol
Any time April

Sorry about the long delay. Life has been kinda busy.

The drive out to WY was boring until we hit snow at the eastern boarder of WY and had to drive on bad roads for 6 hours. After that it was smooth sailing. We set camp up and had 5 hours to scout the day before the hunt. I had a spot to check out so off we went. We got to the area and I said, "lets go to that big tree and pick a spot for the morning." Well, we walked 100 yards to crest the hill and see 8 guys, 8 horses and wall tents going up where we wanted to hunt. So spot 1 was out of the question. The next day we went on a big hike and saw a nice bull and in the evening a cow. I took a 426 yard shot off my shooting sticks and missed her. The following 4 days, we worked in an area where we saw a bull on the opposite side of the draw, but we never were able to get on any other elk. In total, we saw 6 elk, 3 moose and deer. The weather was great. The worst part was the mud. Man when the sun came up and the frost melted, it turned the ground into the stickiest mud I have ever seen.

The hunt was great, I felt prepared physically. We had a great camp and too much food but that is okay I guess. I learned a lot and the fire for elk is now hotter than ever. I really want to get a crack at one but this time a little closer and maybe with some antlers on his head.

WT. there are worse things than having the elk hunting fire burning in your belly. Sounds like they hadn't moved into your AO just yet, unfortunate but that's the reality of elk.
Will you pick a new area next year?

Certainly a realistic description of elk hunting. Still sounds as if it was a good time in WY. Now, on to next year.

I don't have a solid plan for my next trip, but I have a feeling it will be in CO with a muzzleloader.

We did a drop camp in Colorado, very good hunt, great value. Pm me if you would like more information. We've rebooked for next year.

Back