X-mark pro trigger

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I have a Rem 700 in 280 with the new x-mark trigger. I was adjusting the trigger and one of the set screws stripped out. :evil:
I used the same allen wrench on the other set screw with no problems but, the rear screw didn't like it. I have adjusted many Rem 700 triggers with no problems except of course this one.
Last night I decided I would try to drive out the pins in the trigger assembly that hold the body of the set screw. After removing it I was going to drill out the set screw and tap the new hole for a new screw.
Well..... :evil: I broke the safety lever while driving out the pins. :evil:
Today I was talking to a guy at the gun shop and he said that alot of people are having the same problem when adjusting the new x-mark triggers. He also said that alot of guys will just remove the factory set screws, drill out the threads in the body , tap new threads and thread in a longer pin and back it up with a lock nut.
I thought that was a great idea as I was handing him a $100 for a Timney trigger.
Any way I think the Timney is nice but I don't thingk the Rem factory trigger is all that bad.

New and improved triggers, instead of a dab of Lok-Tite on the adjustment screw to keep the unwashed from changing some lawyers perfered setting, they have went to soft screws that strip when a tool is put to them??
Gotta love corporate thinking....

Ol` Joe":7zx7rxrp said:
New and improved triggers, instead of a dab of Lok-Tite on the adjustment screw to keep the unwashed from changing some lawyers perfered setting, they have went to soft screws that strip when a tool is put to them??
Gotta love corporate thinking....

I am sure the folks at Timney triggers do! And I sure like my 700 SPS Varmint better since it got "Timneyized"! :grin:

I have heard, but cannot verify, that the X-Mark trigger is designed to be adjusted differently than the orginal Remington trigger. My suspicion is that if that is the case, it is a design element intended to allow Remington to exert control over those of us who have been tuning our own triggers for years (without adverse affect, I might add) to either generate revenue through service or maintain lawyer friendly trigger settings, or both. I have a feeling it is both, and that goes along with Remington's overall disconnect with the market over the years. It's amazing they survive (simply on the standardization of their 700 as the pattern on which numerous competition rifles are built, IMO) after all the missteps they've made through the years.

dubyam, I would have to agree, that it is amazing the mistakes they have made in disconnecting with us and how inexpensive it is to product a Remington action and how much they charge us for a 700. It amazes me also.

Napoleon originally said "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". ;)

jim

Back