XS Rail

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I have been bumped in the head a few times by my 45-70 Guide Gun. A few days ago I took a shot and had a horrible body position and really creamed my brow with the scope. I have a great scope on the rifle, but with the Weaver Base and Leupold QRW rings, I cannot move the scope further forward. Oh, I never touched the deer either! The only blood was the stuff coming out of me!

Anyhow, I moved the scope forward and put the rear ring in the front slot on the Weaver rail! PRESTO, great eye relief, perfect sight picture and there is no way I will get hit again with the 45-70 shooting full house loads. I know I could back it down some, but that isn't my way. Besides, it isn't the recoil of the rifle, it is a baby, it is the muzzle jump out of the Guide's 18" barrel. So, I got on XS's website and checked out there XS rail.

http://xssights.com/store/scope.html

I ordered the rail and also found out they give a 10% discount to military and LE personnel. This way, I can put the scope anywhere I want. Get the scopes eye piece in front of the hammer and get rid of the silly little hammer extension. I think it is going to work out well. Hunting in a tree stand puts you in weird positions sometimes so I am looking for the best possible sighting set up. I will let you all know when I get it on. XS is pretty highly recommended and after looking how Guy Miner had his 2.5X Leupold on his old 45-70, it really got me to thinking.

The other bonus is being able to put an XS backup peep on the rail. This is going to allow me to keep the scope zeroed for the relatively fast (yeah 45-70 fast) 300gr PT's and use the back up XS ghost ring for something like the 425gr PDJ's. Hunting down here in Va allows a good mix of both and it will be an easier way to use either load without having to worry about rezeroing. Now I can kind of choose which load I want, when I want. Scotty

Sounds great. It is the embarrassment of the half-moon over the eyebrow that lingers so long after when we get scope bit that really disturbs.

The worst one that got me was a Remington 600 in 350 remington magnum, it had a 4 power scope on it. I crawl forward on my scopes anyway because I really tuck the rifle in tight. I didn't crawl forward on that one ever again. All of my scopes are mounted against the rear mount with just enough room to turn the power selector. I am not a big guy either but I always have shot with my head well into the rfle. I can't shoot a shotgun, I am so bad that I couldn't hit a car if I was on the inside.

I like that rail - provides a lot of flexibility for mounting. Nice & solid too.

Here is a picture of what I am thinking the end result will look like.

DSC_1241.jpg

I will actually be able to move the scope back about an inch, but I didn't want to mess with my zero till the rail gets here. I think it will be a slick set up. The eye relief on the Leupold is excellent so even having it where it is sitting I can get a full sight picture. Scotty

I hope the XS works for you Scotty cause im not gonna carry you back to the club house if you get whacked again! :lol: Its not funny cause it looked like it really hurt.

Your rifle does have alot of muzzle jump since i got a chance too "test fire" it after you got whacked.

Maybe I should have let you give it a whirl out of the tree stand so we had matching marks! Just kidding, it is a handful with full house stuff. It is so easy on the shoulder, you just need to hang a 5lb weight from the front! Scotty

That rail sounds like a good idea. I'll check them out. Those cuts sting pretty good but the next day when it's all swollen and tender and I do it again. OOOWWwwwwww.
Note to self: Never allow myself to get whacked by the scope when checking the sight-in the DAY BEFORE the HUNT!

I've got an extended rail on my 45-70 and I'm not sure it's going to work out the way you're thinking. The rail is helpful in placing a scope in any position and allows for the use of scout scopes which are mounted forward quite a distance. (loooong eye relief) Some shooters even use pistol (LER) scopes but they don't work as well as scout scopes for most users.

Using a standard Leupold rifle scope you will still have the ocular lens mounted over the hammer and it will preclude the use of a rear sight. If you switch to a scout scope, in QD rings, you can use either and will never get "scope eye" again. :grin: However, not everyone likes the scout scopes (myself included) because they limit field of view and take some getting use to.

I settled on a Leupold 1.5x5 mounted on the rail in the conventional position. I'm shooting 300gr bullets at about 2,000 ft/sec which is not a maximum load for the Marlin levers but is more than sufficient for most hunting scenarios. Recoil is manageable and I haven't had a problem. Heavier loads might make me consider a scout scope but I really don't plan on shooting anything that produces more recoil anyway. If you prefer heavier bullets (405gr - 450gr) just slow them down a bit and recoil shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the rail - it provides for many options in sight use.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to have the back up site on the rifle the same time as the scope. Not a huge issue, as I always have a pack with me, no matter where I go. I will just put it in a ziploc for use, if needed. I mounted the scope pretty far forward and it still worked good, have a full eye box and seemed okay? I guess I will find out shortly. Backing down the load isn't going to happen. I like them pushing out there quick. It is safe and the recoil is decent, plus it is accurate. I have a thick skull so it was merely a flesh wound anyhow. Been hit harder by other stuff before! I will post up pictures and such when I get it done. The rail showed up at the house in Va, but I am hunting up in NY till after Thanksgiving. Gotta try to put some blood stripes on this 45-70! Scotty

Here is a picture of the XS rail on the Guide Gun. Went on pretty easily and it is a stout rail! Very happy with it and I was able to get the scope about an inch or more forward. I will probably keep the hammer extension, but overall, I am pleased with it. I will get it out this week and confirm my zero hasn't changed. Scotty

DSC03388.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

Thanks Mike. The 1895G is really becoming a favorite rifle. It carries so well in the woods and has alot of Horsepower up close. I just like the way it carries and is so quick to point. The next mod will be the larger lever loop. Right now, as is, it works well. Hoping to get a chance at a deer with it. I REALLY wanna see what the 45-70 300gr PT does to deer! I love the load I developed. Can't wait to put together a 350gr FP load. I think that will be super for just about everything. Scotty

Have you considered working up a load with the 325 FTX? I've witnessed them shooting very well out of both my 358 and my 356.

I thought about it, but I have 5 boxes of the 350gr Hornady FP's on the bench, and I kinda like not having to mess around with the case length to load them. Plus, I kinda like the blunt force trauma they must produce! I will really get to loading for the 45-70 after deer season. Right now, I am trying my best to get it into some meat! Scotty

Back