Ya gotta love her!

dsnook

Beginner
Jan 20, 2005
greetings! I have been fighting my .280 lately. Accuracy has fallen apart. It has never been terribly accurate...around 1.5" with loads it likes. I bought it used so I have no idea of round count. I've tried the obvious stuff, but it went to shooting scattered patterns instead of groups.

So, I decided I was going to re-barrel it. I told my wife how much it would cost. Her remark was just by a new rifle, it's about the same cost!

Of course she is right, I found I can get an 7mm RM M77 stainless/comp for $559 through gallery of guns. I picked the 7mm, because I've got dies, brass, and plenty of bullet/powder. Also, she has kind of picked at me for getting rid of my last 7mm 20 years ago.

Now it looks like the .280 may have to take a ride down to Cottage Grove to visit the folks at JES!

D

That's great! Congrats on the new rifle! A good 7 magnum is pretty danged versatile.

What's your plan for the rebore!

Its a tough call, to re-barrel or to buy new. A new barrel will have much better accuracy potential, but many new factory rifles are pretty darn good (it can be a gamble though). Guess it depends on how much you invested in upgrades to your 280 already. If it's just a stock rifle, then probably no loss.

Your best bet…. buy that 7mm AND re-barrel your 280 :mrgreen:

What's your budget?

If you really like your current rifle I'd think about the rebarrel. Higher quality barrel will mean better accuracy, and I think will outshine anything new.

Nothing wrong with a 7mm Mag! I myself, as much as I love the 280 AI, decided to make it easier on myself ( at my age anyhow! ) and went to 7mm Rem Mag. I even had my Rem Mod 700 .280 rebarreled to a 26" 7mm mag Rem takeoff bbl (stainless, then Duracoated) ) and had the action converted to the magnum bolt face. ( My smith opened the bolt face and added an M16 (Sako style) extractor. He also added a Magnum magazine Follower. Aces to the Max! Good luck to you Pard!

Call me old fashioned but I think you were smart to go to a 7mm Rem Mag. If we have another Dem elected as POTUS there WILL be another shortage of ammo, components, etc. You will be able to get 7mm Rem Mag stuff nearly anywhere. I still can't find .284 Winchester components...

Ubiquity means a lot to me.

Dale

SJB358, I am thinking either a 35 Whelen or a 338-06. I have dies for the 338-06 but I also have a .338RCM, but I don't know that I need another .338. I need to see what interesting cartridges have been made on a 280 case...perhaps a .338-280AI. I have to be careful though, I do not want to make the RCM jealous!

D

Sending your barrel to JES and getting it rebored to a 35 Whelen is the way to go :mrgreen:. We have not had anyone join the family lately and I am sure once you get her back you will not be sorry (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Back