You can pick only 3

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
If you had to live out your days with only three rifles (1 big game, low light rifle; 1 long range hunting rifle; and 1 varmint rifle) which 3 scopes would you own to cover the three applications? Max price for any individual scope is $1500 range. What scope/reticle combos would you choose, and why?

Big Game - Leupold 6x36 with LR duplex, simple light and tough and the dots help for long range work.

Low Light - A toss up between the Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 and Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x40 illuminated I keep going back and forth between them, both would be excellent.

Varmint - not really sure but probably one of the Burris scopes maybe a FF II or C4 in 3-9x40 or 4.5-14x42.

Big Game Low Light: Swarovski Z5, 3.5-18x44, BRH reticle for long range.
Varmint Hunting: Zeiss HD 5, 3-15x42, Varmint reticle.
All Around big Game: Leica 2.5-10x42 ER, BDC Reticle

They are each priced about $1500 at normal prices. As we speak, you can get that specific model Leica scope for $1050, the Swarovski for about $1500, the Zeiss HD5 Varmint for about $1000.

There are a lot of choices in optics out there for <$1500. That is particularly true if you go for Nightforce and Leica closeouts. Right now there are a number of clearance sales going on as manufacturers rationalize their lines, due to economy.

Oldtrader3":4kapsyym said:
Big Game Low Light: Swarovski Z5, 3.5-18x44, BRH reticle for long range.
Varmint Hunting: Zeiss HD 5, 3-15x42, Varmint reticle.
All Around big Game: Leica 2.5-10x42 ER, BDC Reticle

They are each priced about $1500 at normal prices. As we speak, you can get that specific model Leica scope for $1050, the Swarovski for about $1500, the Zeiss HD5 Varmint for about $1000.

There are a lot of choices in optics out there for <$1500. That is particularly true if you go for Nightforce and Leica closeouts. Right now there are a number of clearance sales going on as manufacturers rationalize their lines, due to economy.

I wondered if you'd throw the Leica in there w/o having it in hand yet -- that's a nice compliment to Leica!

For me, my varmint rifle of choice is a .204 ruger -- it gets used for ground squirrels and rock chucks (500+ yds), as well as coyotes during the fall/winter (where I'm walking a lot across snow-covered fields and shooting at coyotes on the move.) Great glass, fine cross-hairs, a holdover reticle, and target turrets fit my needs for the first part, while light weight, holdover reticle, and a forgiving eye-box are advantageous for the second. I just bought a Leica ER 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS and Target Turret to fill this niche.

For a long range hunter, my personal criteria would be something I can take mid-sized game with (deer, mountain goats, bighorn sheep,...). That rifle for me is a 6.5 Creedmoor. Knowing I can use the Leica for this as well, I'd be apt to grab one of Bushnell's new 3-12x42 LRHS. Have never held one, but from what I've read, I really like the looks of that reticle, the turret configuration, and the idea of 1 of my 3 scopes being FFP for the advantages they offer. A lot of tactical scopes would fit the bill here, but this rifle is the one that's going to log the most miles on foot, so I can't bring myself to go with the size and weight of a pure tactical scope.

My big game rifle is a .375 H&H. It's habitat is northern Idaho timber and brush, and prefers chasing elk in nasty weather. (It's already notched its moose tag, but has recently informed me that it's added an Alaska Brown Bear hunt to its bucket list, so the scope for this application would need to cover that dream.) I'm guessing the Bushnell might also work for me here, but I'm patiently awaiting the release of Meopta's MeoStar R2 in a 1.7-10x42, thinking that may be the better ticket.

Question for you -- does Zeiss offer the Varmint Z reticle in the HD5 3-15??? (I thought you had to step up to their 5-25x50 to get their Varmint Z.) If they do, I'd drop the Bushnell from the aforementioned list, slide the Leica into the long range hunting slot, and get the Zeiss HD5 in the 3-15 w/ Varmint Z reticle for my varmint rifle.

maverick2":249tve4q said:
If you had to live out your days with only three rifles (1 big game, low light rifle; 1 long range hunting rifle; and 1 varmint rifle) which 3 scopes would you own to cover the three applications? Max price for any individual scope is $1500 range. What scope/reticle combos would you choose, and why?

I think I am sorta going this direction, not with 3 rifles, but I am sorta trying to set up something similar.

For a big game rifle, my 338 Win Mag and 35 Newton are my go to big game rifles, everything else is there, but those two are my primary and back ups. I actually wanna set them both up as close to the same as I can.

I have the Swaro 2.5x10 on the 338 right now and will likely put the Leica or Leupold VX6 of the other. Once I have decided if I like them, I will try and match them. They are so close ballistically, that I would like to have matching optics on both, the drop and wind figures are just about the same so it would make memorizing or at the very least, having very close cheat sheets a nice thing.

As for a long range rifle, I think I would like to ultimately put a Leica on my 264, but probably the 3.5x14 with the #4 reticle and a turret. I bought that rifle to be my reach and do all deer rifle, so I think that would be a good fit.

I don't really own a varmint rifle of my own right now. Closest is my son's 243 which is alot of fun to shoot, so that'll probably get a 2-10 Minox for awhile. I would like to upgrade it to a 14-15X top end in the future, but that is sorta my lineup right now.

Cool topic though.

You can get the varmint reticle for the HD5.

My varmint rifles are a .204 CZ 527 and a .257 Roberts, Mauser Custom. They have a Swarovski Z3, 4-12x50 and a Zeiss V/VM, 5-15x42 scope on them. My general game rifles are a .270, Model 70 custom and a Mauser custom, 7mm Mag. They already have two HD5 Zeiss' on them. My larger game rifles are a .338 Federal, Sako Model 85 and a Ruger No. One 9.3x74R. They already have 3.5-10x44, Conquest or a 1.5-5x20, Leupold VX3 on them.. The Leica will go on my .30-06, Grade II Model 70. I am ready for about anything that I am able to hunt being disabled and all.

SJB358":36s3dw01 said:

I don't really own a varmint rifle of my own right now.

That's a disturbing admission. How do you sleep at night with that on your conscience??? Fortunately, I believe there's a cure for that...

maverick2":26jl2ehy said:
SJB358":26jl2ehy said:

That's a disturbing admission. How do you sleep at night with that on your conscience??? Fortunately, I believe there's a cure for that...

I know. I got rid of my last 22-250 about a year ago, but up to that point, I always had a 22-250. Used that rifle for alot of different varmint duties.

Thinking I actually want a small 6.5 for low volume varmint (coyote and such) hunting. I don't require a heavy barreled rifle, so something sorta portable with the ability to shoot decently far would be alot of fun I think.

If someone made a 22-250 with a 1-8 twist I would be all over it. It is sorta a niche market, so I suppose the only way to really go is a custom build.

Well I guess I have the 3 right now :).
1) RMR in a 35 Whelen with a 3-9X36mm Zeiss Davaria shooting a 225gr. AB.
2) RMR in a 280AI with either my Leuy VX6 2-12X42mm or Leica 4.5-14X42mm on top again shooting either the LRAB in 150gr or 168gr.
3) CZ-527 in a 204 with the B&L 4000-Elite 6-20X36mm shooting a 39gr. bltz. King.

I believe that I have been blessed :)!

Blessings,
Dan

If funds allowed:

Varmint - Leupold 4.5-14 VX3 with the varmint reticle and side focus
General/low light - Zeiss 2.5-10X42 Diavari, either the #4 or #8
Long range - A Z5 Swarovski with those fancy turrets seems like it would fit here...

As it is, I can do without the side focus on my .223s. I have a 5-15 Diavari that I love and would really like to get one of the above before they're gone, but at this point in my life I simply cannot justify spending a mortgage payment on a rifle scope. I don't do much long range work, so my lone Swaro is a simple 3-9X36.

maverick2":ab4shugk said:
SJB358":ab4shugk said:

Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels. Little guns are still little guns!!!

LR Swaro Z5 3-18X44 4W BT
Varmint Zeiss 6.5-20X50 with Mil-Dot
BG/LL Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6X44 #60 Illuminated in QR rings

Lots of good choices here and out on the market. Optics just keep getting better and better for better prices as well. We live in interesting times.

I will have to give this topic more consideration before I reply.
I will say I currently have two, and looking for a third, Zeiss scope on two, soon to be three, rifles.
Current: .338 Win Mag, HD5 5-25x50 with RZ800
30-06, Conquest 3-9x40 with Z600

Possible Change: .338 Win Mag, 3-15x42 with RZ600
30-06, Stays the same.
6.5 x 284, HD5 5-25x50 with Z800

Between those three scopes I could probably do anything I wanted to do with any three rifles I may care to use. I've become a big fan of the Zeiss ballistic drop reticles.

Vince

nvbroncrider":1t5v9ina said:
maverick2":1t5v9ina said:
SJB358":1t5v9ina said:

Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels. Little guns are still little guns!!!

Scotty's a tough guy. A .35 Newton is just about right for p-dogs! (I imagine ammo gets a little heavy, though...)

I'd have a tough time picking just three but I'll give my ideas.

I would do either a .375 Improved or a .416 Rem for my closer range big game gun and would probably lean towards the .375 for more range. I'd probably use a 3x15 Zeiss HD5 with target turrets and a standard Z-plex reticle unless I intended to go to Africa and then it would be the 2x10 version.

The long range gun would be a .30-8mm, a .30-338 Norma Imp, .300 Rum, etc with a Nightforce Atacr 5x25. It's hard to beat Nightforce for repeatability and toughness plus the new scope has much better glass.

My varmint gun would probably be more of a combo deer/antelope/varmint gun in 6.5-300wm with a Zeiss HD5 5x25 with turrets and the standard Z-plex reticle.

Current rifle scope combinations are:

1) Big game, low light is my custom Ruger 77 LH in 376 Steyr with a Leupold 1.5-5x 20 or my Browning BLR in 358 Win with a Leupold 1.5-5x20,
but have a custom Ruger 77 LH in 416 Taylor that will be getting a Trijicon 1-4x24 with the green post reticle
2) Long Range Hunting Rifle is my custom Sako AIV LH in 7mm STW with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 B&C, and
3) Varmint is my custom Rem 700 LH in 250 AI with a Leupold 4.5-14x50 VXL B&C
(but my varmints are coyotes)

Wow, it surely reads as though Zeiss has a winner with the HD-5 series scopes. For a new scope in that under $1000 price range, the HD-5 has shown legs for sales and within this posting, it has also shown a popularity and acceptance fo0r new technology that I would not have believed had I not read the responses here. Considering this product has only been on the market for 6 months now, it has grabbed the imagination of many riflemen in this country and in Canada that should support strong future sales. This HD-5 is a winner product category for Zeiss.

Varmint Rifle, the same rifle others have mentioned, a .204 Ruger CZ 527, with a fixed 12x using tapered crosshairs. It's been GREAT on prairie dogs, sage rats & rock chucks:

This .25-06 Remington and fixed 6x Leupold (42mm version) is pretty much perfect for me. It just keeps notching tags in Washington & Wyoming. That scope is BRIGHT:

Best big/dangerous game rifle I've got is the .375 H&H Model 70. Right now it's wearing the little 2.5x Leupold, but I think I'd swap to my 1.5-5x Leupold... On my other .375, the Ruger Number One, I've taken game at 300+ yards, and it's also a close-up scope:

But in reality, I do "need" a couple more rifles & scopes. Have to have my AR-15 with the 1.5-4x Leupold Mark AR. What a great optic for either CQB use, or out to longer distances!

Then there's this "lever addiction" I deal with... A simple .30-30 with a 2.5x Leupold does just fine:

Back