Your pick of scope for a 30-378

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
If you had an accumark MKV what would you choose to mount it with? What make and power scope?

TIA

It would depend on if I wanted to dial the scope, use a BDC type reticle, or a standard duplex without knobs. I personally like a standard duplex with target turrets for anything long range and I'd classify a 30-378 as long range. I just don't like the confusion and cluster of compensating reticles especially when a quick shot is needed.

Depending on what I was going to use the rifle for it would be either a
Zeiss HD5 Conquest 3-15x42mm or a 5-25X50mm.
My buddy has a Nightforce 5-22x50mm on his McMillian M700 30-378 Wby and it does a great job.

JD338

I chose this. Hope I did OK

rfl_vhs-lr_s_4-16x44_moa_fr-t.jpg

Magnification 4-16 x
Objective Lens Diameter 44 mm
Eye Relief 4.0 inches
Field of View 27.4-7.4 feet/100 yards
Tube Size 30 mm
Turret Style Tactical Elevation
Capped windage
CRS Zero Stop
Adjustment Graduation 1/2 MOA click elevation
1/4 MOA click windage
Travel per Rotation 24 MOA elevation
12 MOA windage
Max Elevation Adjustment 75 MOA
Max Windage Adjustment 50 MOA
Parallax Setting 50 yards to Infinity
Length 13.7 inches
Weight 19.8 ounces

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle

I hope so. Some guys at 24 hour campfire are trashing the Vipers so it did concern me a bit to be honest.

They are always trashing something over there including the members. If it's anything like my Diamond Back I put on the Whelen I'm sure you will like it. One thing for sure if it breaks they fix it no questions asked.

I liked the one I had just fine...it was the 4-16x44 HS model (no exposed turrets)...I sold it to a friend when I got the Zeiss HD5, I'll be mounting the Vortex on his Browning A-bolt 270 when I get back home.

It should work well for you on antelope and elk up close or far away.

JD338

The scope lists for 650 MSRP or so. The 1/2 MOA is designed to dial in quicker and give more elevation per revolution,

Guys I also have a new in box Zeiss HD5 3x15x42 with target turrets. Will this one do better?

opplanet-zeiss-conquest-hd5-3-15x42-rifle-scope-w-lock-plex-reticle-matte-black-522627-9920-000.jpg

FOTIS":m3nevd75 said:
The scope lists for 650 or so. The 1/2 MOA is designed to dial in quicker and give more elevation per revolution,

Guys I also have a new in box Zeiss HD5 3x15x42 with target turrets. Will this one do better?

opplanet-zeiss-conquest-hd5-3-15x42-rifle-scope-w-lock-plex-reticle-matte-black-522627-9920-000.jpg

I hunted a few years with the Vortex, haven't hunted with the Zeiss yet...it was your initial review of the HD5 here on Nosler forum that got me looking at it...

The Zeiss will have noticeably better glass, a smaller footprint (1 inch tube), and maybe more durable...

The Vortex should have excellent tracking and usable glass...

I guess it all comes down to the application...what kind of hunting/shooting are we talking?

Fotis,

What are you going to use the rifle for?

JD338

LR everything basically (hunting)

I would choose the HD5 Zeiss myself. Vortex is still establishing their reputation and are Asian built. Not a knock, just a concern?

Either will work...

I like the locking turrets myself, and the 16.5 MOA between the zero stops on the HD5 will get you way out there with a 30-378...it should get me to 850+ with the Ackley, so I'm guessing that with the right bullet in the 30-378 it should get 1,200 yards without the zero stops...and 900+ with the zero stops.

I would have a little concern with the "target turrets", especially in the timber, or heavy brush. I have three Zeiss Conquests, and love them.

I have (5) Zeiss scopes and (2) of the regular turret HD5 3-5x42. Mine have covered turrets for hunting. The clicks on mine are not that easy to turn and I would not worry too much about the target turrets.

Back