Your plans for this falls hunts

bigrifleman, e-mail sent. Sorry for jacking this thread.

Back on topic...I will be hunting 3rd rifle season in Colorado for elk and deer. Hoping my wife can shoot her first deer. Shouldn't take long. I doubt it takes past the first day. After that, I'll get serious :)

Drew like a champ this year, archery antelope early august, big horn sheep late august, wyoming 89 antelope late september, muzzleloader deer end of october, muzzleloader cow elk for december. The big horn sheep tag blows my mind, i was pretty sure you had to be a non resident to draw a sheep tag for new mexico, been applying for years but it never once crossed my mind that I would actually draw, figured I had better odds playing power ball...now i just have to get some work done so I can go play! good luck to everyone that drew out

Congrats on your tags, especially the bighorn, make sure you take a big ram :)

Tobey284":3rss0pas said:
Drew like a champ this year, archery antelope early august, big horn sheep late august, wyoming 89 antelope late september, muzzleloader deer end of october, muzzleloader cow elk for december. The big horn sheep tag blows my mind, i was pretty sure you had to be a non resident to draw a sheep tag for new mexico, been applying for years but it never once crossed my mind that I would actually draw, figured I had better odds playing power ball...now i just have to get some work done so I can go play! good luck to everyone that drew out

Congrats on the sheep tag. Is the bighorn sheep in NM the standard bighorn or the desert version?

Tobey284":3e2uscab said:

Congrats on that sheep tag! Good luck out there! Scotty

Thanks guys, I'm really pumped about the sheep, still in shock kinda as I never thought I'd get to do it.
257-It's for rocky mountain bighorn in the pecos wilderness NE of santa fe. New Mexico only offers ONE desert bighorn tag per year in the public draw. There may be more tags offered in the future as they are considering delisting them as a state endangered species, apparently the numbers are up and stable.

I'm really pumped about the sheep

I can't imagine why you would be pumped. :lol: Seriously, that is a terrific opportunity. Do you plan on being in the field for an extended period? Are you doing any scouting of the area?

yotesmoker, our tags are good only for unit 131. At the beginning of august my buddy and I are due to mail in the second half of our hunt deposit and at that time hopefully the property manager will have some answers. On tuesday I'm going to call DOW and see what our list of options are. The only upside to this if you can call it one is the sale happened early and not three weeks before the season. Thanks for your help. I'll be in contact as your familiarity with the area would be of great help.

DrMike, I had planned on scouting most of the summer and then hiring horses and going in 5 days before the hunt to try to locate a ram before the season opened. Unfortuneately due to the high fire danger (half the state is burning :( ) the forest service has completely closed the area for the next 2-3 weeks at least so there won't be much scouting getting done. Although I have serious reservations about hiring an outfitter to hunt my own state, I prefer to do it myself whenever possible, I'm thinking it may be my best option. There was only two months prep time for the hunt since the draw results came out and the hunt itself is only 6 DAYS (pretty small window for a once in a lifetime opportunity at an animal I know little about)

I prefer to do it myself whenever possible, I'm thinking it may be my best option.

I hear what you're saying; and I am cognizant of the fire danger for NM. A good guide can be worth his weight in gold if he understands the quarry and knows the area. Again, all of us here are pulling for you on this hunt. Good luck to you.

yotesmoker, got a correction on what units our licenses are good for. Our licenses will cover units 11, 12, 13, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 211, 231. I believe you mentioned unit 33. These units encircle and are relatively close to unit 131. Our plans are to get to Oak creek three days earlier and this will be a great benefit in finding a place and doing some scouting. I'm hoping that none of this is necessary and our original plans will work out but as everyone knows "if it can go wrong it will go wrong" Thanx for any help.

Both my 16yr daughter and I drew our buck tags for ND. Draw results came out today. Shes pumped and ready to roll.... Lol. Time for some range time for her and her Bob!!

I still hunt in November's deep freeze for time with her. No matter how much it sux trudging out to the deer stand in dark, sub zero wx, her smile and zest for the hunt is worth every flippin single digit below freezing.. :)

Rod

Congrats on you and your daughter Rod! That will be a lot of fun. Is the Bob the rifle wearing the stock you got from me? :lol:

Congratulations to both you and your daughter, Rod. Yeah, it can suck to trudge out to the stand in the cold and the dark, but you will reap a rich reward from watching her smile at the memory of being with Dad for many years to come.

Got a antelope-tag in eastern WY. for opener! Landowner says one will go 16-17" and then theres the one that is bigger. BIGGER? Well, I have the .270wsm already for anything out to 600, so they better have their heads down come Oct one.

Sorry for any confusion in this post.

Jim

Good luck on the hunt, Jim. We'll all look forward to pictures of a beautiful billy.

Kodiak":1a1nvir8 said:
Got a antelope-tag in eastern WY. for opener! Landowner says one will go 16-17" and then theres the one that is bigger. BIGGER? Well, I have the .270wsm already for anything out to 600, so they better have their heads down come Oct one.

Sorry for any confusion in this post.

Jim

Jim, what are you shooting out of you WSM?

Good luck on your prong buck hunt. Should be a fun one. Scotty

big rifle man, that is a whole lot of land from Grand Junction over to the Flat Tops and all of White River National Forest, both sides of the road. Are you sure about that? What season are you hunting? Archery? I'm not aware of any license that covers that many GMUs. The one I was thinking of you might have had is close to 131 and 211, but not one you listed, surprisingly. I wish you well. At most, I have only been able to hunt 4 GMUs with the same license. Hope you aren't being misinformed.

See what you can get nailed down and then PM me with any questions and I'll try to help. This Oak area you speak of is, is it in GMU 12? I am hunting in one of the units you mentioned and hunting public land is very competitive. As friendly as folks here are, I don't want anyone to be upset or on the other hand feel I'm sharing free info to the general public so, please PM me with respect to all, and I'm sure you mean well, as do I.

Back