Your special rifle/caliber?

Well for me it's a 700 in 280.
She's wearing an HS Precision stock in grey w/ black webbing and a 4.5x14x40 Zeiss.
Triggers breaks crisp and clean.Every time it goes bang something falls graveyard dead.Coyotes,whitetails.hogs and turkeys have all fallen in front of her.

After that it's my sons 700 VSSF in 308.

Out of all my rifles, I have 3 that tie for my favorites. My Rem 700ADL SPS 243 Win with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40, My Ruger Hawkeye 270 Win that came from the factory with the OD green Hogue stock and it wears a Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x40 Ballisticplex that is also OD green and matches the stock. And last but not least, my Marlin 336CC 30-30. Ive only killed one whitetail doe with it, but its probably the funnest gun I have to shoot.

Every year when I get ready to go to deer camp I look in my gun safe and see many options.....I usually take two rifles, and the one that always goes with me no matter of what my other choice is.....is my .257 Roberts.

My go to big game rifle combo is my M70 7mm Rem Mag with 160 Partitions. My wife and I also hunt with matching Encores and we are up to 8 different barrels to choose from. So if I can have 2 go to rifles it's my Winchester or TC.

Everyone has gravitated towards the larger calibers - I generally only use them during a short period of time during the year.
My one rifle - my Amex - The one I've had from day one is still the first rifle my partents gave me - It's on it's second barrel, but has an old time bedding job - two stage Canjar trigger - 12X Leupy w/ dot & target knobs and still looks as good as it did on day one.
Rem 700 BDL Varminter in 22-250

Powerstroke":q6g2gsk6 said:
Everyone has gravitated towards the larger calibers - I generally only use them during a short period of time during the year.
My one rifle - my Amex - The one I've had from day one is still the first rifle my partents gave me - It's on it's second barrel, but has an old time bedding job - two stage Canjar trigger - 12X Leupy w/ dot & target knobs and still looks as good as it did on day one.
Rem 700 BDL Varminter in 22-250

The BDL Varminter is the best pruduction rifle Remington ever released... I've had a couple... all were absolutely awesome rifles... sadly, I have none of them now. They were affairs with women way out of my class... a .243, a .22-250, a .25-06, and oh... a 6mm that was lovely. But alas I've settled on more utilitarian mates, les "high maintenance"... stainless synthetics...

There are currently 4 Rem 700 BDL Varminters in my safe that were all purchased by my parents I'm guessing late 70's through the 80's
.223 w/ Canjar that my Dad used to shoot a lot. My 22-250, A .260 that I had rechambered from a 22-250, and my safe queen - 7-08.

POP - Come to think of it, I don't think I can do without any of them - They pretty much all feel the same :grin:
The Remington line - ( sorry, one Sako in here )

Attachments

• Remingtons.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,182
Yeah P/Stroke, nice collection fer sure..

Favorite go-to rifle caliber... Dang thats hard, kinda like deciding on only one cookie from a holiday potluck> Cant do it, its more like this:

Lefse = 257 Ack, Cheesecake = 7mm RM, Blonde Brownies = 243, Oooh Little Smokies in bbq sauce = 204 Ruger, Whoa homemade buns with butter = my 6BR, Fresh glockamole with jalapenos = 6.5 Imp.

Sure, you try limit yourself to one item at the xmas holiday trough, I'm going in armed, err full....

Rod

Mine will be the riflemans rifle Winchester Model 70 chambered for the 300 Winchester Magnum, pictured 3rd from the right.

65025.jpg

IMGP2360.jpg

For many years, my only deer rifle was my Win94 30-30. It's always done what I asked of it, is a joy to tote in the woods, and has a "cool" factor that is off the charts. It wears a 4x fixed power scope, and for the 200yd range it works fine. Always fits me, always feels right, and after some judicious trigger work on my part (being careful not to render it unsafe) it actually has a crisp, albeit 8-9lb, trigger. Accuracy hovers around 1.2" from a rickety bench. Great gun.

In keeping with the, "I have to have two rifles" theme, though, I'll add this. I've lately become quite partial to my 270Wby Mark V synthetic. It's well machined, smooth as butter, and fits me like a glove, as well. I'd like a better stock, and I'm saving up for a Bell&Carlson Medalist (like the Accumark from the factory) in green. Maybe this January, even. We'll see. Why have I become partial to this gun? Well, in a few words, it's the polar opposite of my other favorite gun - the Hyde to my Win94 Jekyll. It's ultra-fast, and good out well beyond where I'm capable of taking anything on this continent that I'll hunt. It's highly accurate. In fact, I've shot more sub-.5moa groups with this rifle than with any other I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It's the only rifle I've ever shot a "sub-caliber" group - in this case, .249" for three shots at 100yds - on the first range trip! It is long, lean, and has plenty of reach. Again, it is the Mr. Hyde version of going afield, in that it feels more adventurous, and lethal than my Win94 Dr. Jekyll.

Polar opposites, and yet if I only had two centerfire rifles, it would be these two. And I'd never feel underserved. In fact, I'm not much of a "rifle namer" but I think I just hit upon a pair of monikers that will stick!

Mr. Hyde and I will be afield this weekend!

my favorite is an old Winchester model 670 that I purchased new back in the 70's. 30-06 I paid half and my dad paid the other half. it had a weaver 4 power on it then. it has a Leupold on it now. shoots great and looks great too!
I have a boat load of others now, and my next faves are my 300 rum rem 700 CDL and my Ruger #1 7 mag. my #1 458 Lott is fast moving up the list. I haven't seen any Elephants lately around the house so it has served me well! :)

I have two.
Thor, :twisted: 338 Win Mag , it is a LH Savage 116 SS weather warrior that I had bead blasted. Killed a ton of game with it.
Thor will be getting a new laminate stock after Elk season closes. Thor has earned better than savage tuppaware

The Operator, :mrgreen: My other favorite rifle is a home built m24/sendero clone. Took the rem 700 30/06 that I inherited from my dad. Replaced the barrel with a Sendro 26" 308 barrel. Wrapped in a HS stock, adjusted the trigger, glassed it with a 3200 10X40 Bushnell and propped it up with a Harris bipod. It is a boat anchor to carry in the field yet, it has is DRT everything I have shot with it. Shot placement is easy with Operator assistance. :wink:

338 win mag, 225 grains gets it done
308 win, 180 grains buck the wind nicely

Lefteyedom,

Good to have you on board. You list a couple of fine cartridges in the 338 WM and the 308. They cover a lot of ground for hunting in North America.

Desert Fox":uw0btwl5 said:
Mine will be the riflemans rifle Winchester Model 70 chambered for the 300 Winchester Magnum, pictured 3rd from the right.

65025.jpg

IMGP2360.jpg

If the third from the right is a 300WM what are the two on the right of it?
Inquiring minds wanna know. :mrgreen:

300 Weatherby loaded with 180 grain TTSX and the 338 Lapua Ackley Improved loaded with 300 grain SMK.

Powerstroke":3l6r8c8h said:
POP - Come to think of it, I don't think I can do without any of them - They pretty much all feel the same :grin:
The Remington line - ( sorry, one Sako in here )

I feel yah bud!

Back