Your special rifle/caliber?

Mine was my Rem 700 BDL custom deluxe in 7 RM shooting anything I fed it quite frankly, it thrived on 140g NBTs and 162g AMAX with RL22 and H1000 however. It was ridiculously accurate for a factory sporter weight rifle, hands down the most accurate big game centerfire rifle I've ever owned, and that includes my semi custom built 338 EDGE with a trued action, HART barrel, floated and bedded, etc, which by the way the 7 RM was not bedded or floated, or trued up, just a trigger job and a Holland QD muzzle brake, Leupold vx2, 6-18x w/target knobs, and my handloads. Would ring a 15" gong all day in good conditions laying prone w/bipod at 1K. Damn I hated to see that rifle go...

Other one could possibly be the last 2 of the 25-06s I owned which was a winchester classic model 70 sporter, which still holds my smallest 3 shot group to date at 100 yards, which measures .045", or my light varmint contoured shilen 700 in 25-06 that was right on the heels of a factory 257 WBY velocity wise, 3500fps with 100g NBT and Retumbo, 3275fps with 115g VLD's and Retumbo and 3250fps with 115g NBT and Retumbo, all 3 of these above loads shot 1/2 MOA out to 400 yards on a regular basis, and sometimes less. Kinda wished I still had the Winny model 70 25-06 actually, would compliment my new winny model 70 in 264 quite nicely. SOld it to a friend, but he is waaaay hard on rifles, it looked good as new when I sold it to him after owning it for 5 years. Within a year, that rifle was trashed, still shoots 1/2 MOA or better though with anything he feeds it. Dam, I kinda miss those 25's...

0.045 inches! :shock: Wow! That is some fine shooting. Bragging groups, for certain.

Oops it was actually .043" :roll:

213k5k5.jpg

This was a solid 1/4"-3/8" load at 100 yards from a bench 90% of the time if I did my part. Unreal for a factory sporter IMO...Guess I've been overly spoiled by a few factory sporters over the years...

That is the sort of group you pull out of the wallet and show off at every diner, drive-in and dive. :grin: I can't believe you allowed yourself to be off by 0.002 inches!

Factory Winchester rifle can be very accurate right out of the box. Here's typical group with my 300 Winchester that was featured in the previous page.

Picture097-1.jpg

The first 10 shot group that came out of the tube during barrel break in.

Picture009.jpg

DF,

That is very much akin to the accuracy witnessed with my Winchesters. I have only had one that didn't shoot to my specs (a 7 X 57 Featherweight), and I shouldn't have let it go simply because of its rarity.

Lefteyedom":2o36my2x said:
I have two.
Thor, :twisted: 338 Win Mag , it is a LH Savage 116 SS weather warrior that I had bead blasted. Killed a ton of game with it.
Thor will be getting a new laminate stock after Elk season closes. Thor has earned better than savage tuppaware

The Operator, :mrgreen: My other favorite rifle is a home built m24/sendero clone. Took the rem 700 30/06 that I inherited from my dad. Replaced the barrel with a Sendro 26" 308 barrel. Wrapped in a HS stock, adjusted the trigger, glassed it with a 3200 10X40 Bushnell and propped it up with a Harris bipod. It is a boat anchor to carry in the field yet, it has is DRT everything I have shot with it. Shot placement is easy with Operator assistance. :wink:

338 win mag, 225 grains gets it done
308 win, 180 grains buck the wind nicely

Hey Garry,
Welcome to the forum buddy. Nice to have another USAF Cop Veteran here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We worked nuclear security together!

Ahh, worked for the government. You're a masochist. No wonder you like the big Weatherbys! :grin:

Now you figured this out?

You should see the scope marks on my head! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Same here, I have matching marks! Must be my pronounced cave man brow! Scotty

My favorite rifle would have to be my M70 Classic stainless. Caliber choice is a little more difficult, It started life as a 7mm Rem Mag and shot good, but a friend of mine went to gunsmith school and offered to build it into a custom rifle for the price of parts. I couldn't pass that up so it became a 300 win mag and I shot it at everything for years. I killed many coyotes, some hogs, and all but one of the whitetail on my wall with it. I had lots of faith in this rifle. I shot several thousand rounds through it and it started losing accuracy and making me flinch so I had it re-barreled to a 264 win mag. It now has a Bell & Carlson ultralight aluminum bedded stock, Wyatt extra long magazine box, 4.5x14 Leupold VH, and a 25" Mcgowan #3 fluted barrel. It weighs 9.2lbs ready to hunt, so I don't carry it up the mountains but use it alot for everything else. I am still tuning on loads and chronographing everything so I can have all my data right when I order my Greybull precision scope for it before next season. If I had to use one gun for everything this would be it, the blend of performance and mild recoil fits my needs.

But I'd hate to have to use one gun for everything.

Another favorite is my custom 243 "truck gun" with a thumbhole stock and 20" #5 barrel I use for varmints and does. This gun took over the smaller critter duties from the 300 a few years back and helped with my flinch. My girlfriend and several other new hunters have taken their first deer with it. It shoots most any 75-90gr load to the same point if impact at 100yds, and 100 grainers exactly 1 inch lower, so it is easy to work with for any application. I also have a Browning 270WSM with a 2lb trigger kit, Leupold 4.5x14 CDS, and Bell & Carlson ultralight aluminum bedded stock that is rapidly becoming a favorite for hunts involving lots of hiking. The Browning and my 264 accompany me on all my big game hunts.

I love the 270WSM... Great ballistics and rifle size is very easy to manage! Wished it could have drawn blood again this year. Might need to sick it on some coyotes or something! Scotty

Back