Your thoughts on the 7MM Mag

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
What are the pros and cons of a 7MM Mag over say a 300 win mag? I'm mostly just curious right now, but I am looking for a rifle for my son to elk hunt with in the next couple of years. I heard of one at the local gander mountain. It was a used savage with a muzzle break.How would the recoil compare with that of a 300 with a break, or a 30-06 with out one? I am leaning toward another 300 since I already have one and load for it so components are already here, but wouldn't mind buying another set of dies if I had to. I have never owned or shot a 7MMmag
Thanks,
JD

The 7mm Remington Magnum took off in popularity because it shoots as flat as a 300 magnum and kicks less. This was the idea of it from its promoters and it caught on.

Its a good cartridge. It blasts them dead just fine.

There were a number if riflemen who promoted the cartridge and got Remington to introduce it. Warren Page talked of his Mashburn magnum and so did Bob Hagel. Perhaps Les Bowman was most effective at the time with the necked up 264 Win. Mag. that he presented to Remington.

Yup. I've had both the .300 Win mag - which I like a lot - and the 7mm Rem mag - which I like more.

Remington really has this 7mm Rem mag thing down pat - I haven't seen one that wasn't a shooter from the 1960's examples to those of recent manufacture. For me, I noticed a lesser recoil with the 7mm Rem mag that helped me shoot better. That was the real advantage, smaller powder charge, slightly lighter recoil.

The only other advantage I can come up with is that the 7mm bullets have some mighty fine BC's going for them. It takes a real heavy .30 caliber bullet to beat the BC's of 160 - 175 grain 7mm's.

Either one is a great cartridge though, and I'd use either. Took my bull elk a few years back with the 175 gr Nosler Partition from a 7mm Rem mag. A .300 Win mag, or a .338, or a .375 H&H wouldn't have worked any better on that shot. I got complete penetration from side to side, through about 3' of elk, and one heck of a dead elk within seconds.

In your shoes - with one good .300 already and a set of dies, as well as components on hand, I'd likely stick with the .300 mag, but otherwise, I'm pretty well sold on the 7mm version. In the field, I don't think there's a whole heck of a lot of practical difference.

Regards, Guy

JDMAG":2ak1a5yu said:
What are the pros and cons of a 7MM Mag over say a 300 win mag? I'm mostly just curious right now, but I am looking for a rifle for my son to elk hunt with in the next couple of years. I heard of one at the local gander mountain. It was a used savage with a muzzle break.How would the recoil compare with that of a 300 with a break, or a 30-06 with out one? I am leaning toward another 300 since I already have one and load for it so components are already here, but wouldn't mind buying another set of dies if I had to. I have never owned or shot a 7MMmag
Thanks,
JD
...............For elk hunting? Flip a coin on those two.

If elk is the only larger game in the equation, I see no real advantage the 300 would have over the 7mm Remy mag.

Although the 7mm mag will do the job, if in the future your son were to ever hunt the big bears, moose, bison etc., the .300 with the heavier bullet options would have an advantage.

From deer sized game on up to the biggys, better overall bullet weight versatility or options with the 300.

Either one would make for a great all around caliber in NA. If you are going to do a lot of elk hunting, along with moose and bear, the 300 Win Mag would be my choice. There are more bullets available in 30 cal vs 7mm so you would also have more flexibility. The down side is that the 300 Win Mag will have more recoil than the 7mm Rem Mag.

JD338

I dont see my income ever getting back up to where I can afford a big bear or moose hunt. If his does then he can buy a bigger gun! and take me with him instead of the other way around. but you never know! :wink:

I`d go with the 300... Hey! You never know what the future could bring.

Forgot to add earlier that I owned & reloaded a 300 Winny for 35 years. It can be reloaded up to max levels or down to `06 levels and less depending on your needs.

You have more bullet options with the 300 to play around with, especially in the 180 gr and heavier.

My gun safe has one 7mm caliber in it and it is my wifes 7-08. It also doesn't have a 308 cal of any kind. If I had to pick one for me I'd go with the 7 mag and never think twice. Have some family that have killed everything from small coastal blacktail to a few Alaskan grizz. The lesser recoil of the 7 will make it more enjoyable to practice for your son, and with practice and the right bullets should be able to shoot anything in NA he wants. Plus 7 is just a much cooler number!

Simply one of the best cartridges made, simply excellent, you can't go wrong in choosing it and you will be happy with it. I like the 300Wby more than either the 300Win Mag and the 7mm Mag but then again my favorite cartridge is the 30-06 even thought the first deer I ever killed was with a 7mm Mag. Once again it is a great flat shooting hard hitting cartridge and I think it is at it's best with the 140gr bullet and the 150gr bullet.

What's not to like?

great accuracy
awesome array of ammo and bullets
modest recoil
shoots flat

I can go on 4ever.

I gladly traded my browning 30-06 for my dad's m70 7 mag with boss last week. Why? He liked my browining and I loved his winchester. It is very very pleasant shooting with the 140-160 grain bullets, which are the only two i ever tried both in ballistic tip and Partition. It's the only gun I carry when elk/deer hunting now because its accuracy is half MOA and it will reach way on out there accurately if need be. It recoils much less than the 06 and no where near the muzzle jump off the rest. The 160 Partition is all I shoot in mine now, but I do have some 140 ballistic tips that I would use for antelope/deer and my next venture, long range prairie dogs LOL.

i have both but have only killed elk with the 300. just got the 7mm last year and shes a shooter. recoil is less. i shoot the factory fed's in 175b and can touch holes at 100. my 300 is wore out and gettin a new barrel. both are great, and you can find ammo for both almost anywhere. if you have a pet load for the 300 just get another, saves on brass, dies and etc. then you both can shoot each others gun if need be. i prefer my 338 its got a brake and is compariable to my 7mm. enjoy

See if you cam get your hands on both for him to try. Might be hard to get two with brakes and two without tho. I like both calibers.

Short list of my safe in .284 Cal but starts with the 7-08, .280 & 7mag. The 7mag belongs to my Dad and is either a very late 60's or early 70's Rem 700 BDL. I have yet to see an elk walk away from that gun and can honestly say a larger round wouldnt' have done any better. All three of the above mentioned have taken elk to include down to my wife's .260 which now has three under it's bolt :grin:
I relate the recoil on the 7mag to a quick sharp crack as opposed to a heavier thud..( my explaination )
I put a brake on my .280 which took it down to a 22-250 type recoil so they do work excellent.
7mag gets my vote

JD338":23brl02n said:
Either one would make for a great all around caliber in NA. If you are going to do a lot of elk hunting, along with moose and bear, the 300 Win Mag would be my choice. There are more bullets available in 30 cal vs 7mm so you would also have more flexibility. The down side is that the 300 Win Mag will have more recoil than the 7mm Rem Mag.

JD338

+1

Back