Your vote....coolest European cartridge and rifle.

DrMike":27dgq3pq said:
Lovely works of art, ET. Have to love the MS.

Thanks DrMike, nice to have it appreciated.
Currently, the original barrel is shot out and though all the provenance is there, before it can be used once more on live quarry, it will be rebarreled.
The original MSch M1903 6.5x54 chambering will be preserved.

A Krieger barrel is due to arrive at the gunsmith in Scotland in May, so I guess by the end of this year the MSch will be fully functional again.
I’m sure it will be very accurate & with a tight twist for the heavy 160gn RN bullet.

I have pictures on file of the original 1922 barrel proof stamps, so they will have to be good enough for anyone in the future.

ElmerThud":1c9vtt0q said:
DrMike":1c9vtt0q said:

Currently, the original barrel is shot out and though all the provenance is there, before it can be used once more on live quarry, it will be rebarreled.

A Krieger barrel is due to arrive at the gunsmith in Scotland in May, so I guess by the end of this year the MSch will be fully functional again.
I’m sure it will be very accurate & with a tight twist for the heavy 160gn RN bullet.

I have pictures on file of the original 1922 barrel proof stamps, so they will have to be good enough for anyone in the future.

Can you keep the original barrel, after the re-barrel? Just for collector's purposes?

Guy

Guy Miner":kob7e5q2 said:
ElmerThud":kob7e5q2 said:
DrMike":kob7e5q2 said:

Can you keep the original barrel, after the re-barrel? Just for collector's purposes?

Guy

Unfortuately not. It’s highly likely/virtually certain the original barrel will be destroyed during removal. A bit of a bummer really as that was my initial hope.
P.M. sent Guy.

Guy, no

Elmer--nice!, very nice! very very nice! congratulations

Salmomchaser, that was a very useful drilling. why did you sell it ?

Elkman, The original Rigby company, Purdy, and Westley are all excellent rifle builders, but was curious why you left out Holland and Holland. IMHO their rifles are not chopped liver lol

John, the 275 Rigby and 275 H and H are two completely different calibers. The H & H being bit "more" ballistically than the Rigby and comparable to the 7mmRem. The one Cheyenne has is an original and therefore takes the .287 diameter bullet, not the .284. You can buy correct diameter bullets for the 275 H & H from Woodleigh and a couple of other places. Hope this helps, as you are not the first to get these two mixed up or lumped together

Perhaps Europe or another European member can chime in on this.

I mentioned the 7,5x55 Swiss cartridge in passing. Very similar ballistics to the 30-06 when loaded to full potential, and highly accurate, at least in the Swiss Military Schmitt Rubin series of rifles. It's a bit of an antique short magnum, having a wider case body similar to the .284 Win. Probably the reason it hasn't seen widespread commercial acceptance a long time ago, it's not compatible with the "standard" Mauser family bolt face. A fellow on a military collecting forum I frequent re-barreled a Rem 700 action in a LR precision platform for this round, and has posted some spectacular results using Swiss military GP11 ammunition and .30 cal heavy match handloads. It's also a solid short-medium range performer with appropriate hunting bullets, as many on this forum have adapted their K-31 rifles to sporting use.

Wondering if this caliber is encountered in any sporting rifles abroad?

Polaris

I have not, as the 6.5 x 55 Swede is considered a better option and the Swede does show up.

If you remember a while back Jamila attended an auction in Austria ( that was discussed on the forum ) and we bought a couple of rifles. There was a Schmidt -Rubin at the auction that was build from memory around 1900 or a bit before, but neither Jamila's mother or I wanted it so we did not bid on it. I have seen them but have never shot one or from memory been with anyone who has shot one

Lefty 315 I like your thinking on the Ruger #1's. I love those rifles and true the design was European in nature.

I also have to expand my original list from just the 7x57 a bit!

7x57 in a Mauser 98 , Ruger #1, or Sako
6.5x55 Swede in the above rifles
308 Norma Mag. I completely forgot about this wonderful little beast. My father started to have his 03-A3 Springfield re-barreled to 308 Norma mag before he ran out of dollars to do it. Can we hear some love for the .308 Norma??

6.5x55 Swede in a Sako Bavarian Carbine is my personal favorite Euro combo. I also have a Mauser M12 in 9.3x62 that is a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman, The original Rigby company, Purdy, and Westley are all excellent rifle builders, but was curious why you left out Holland and Holland. IMHO their rifles are not chopped liver lol
I didn't really leave them out, I just failed to mention them. I thought of Bell, and of course that led to the Rigby brand. The other two just jumped into my feeble old mind.

ElmerThud":16p6ihr9 said:
SJB358":16p6ihr9 said:
What about the awesome 358 Norma! Forgot about that sucker.

Sounds like far toooo much gun for me Scotty, I like the gentler touch :wink:

Several pieces of good English stuff on this link though:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/ ... -6e40-812e

Yeah, I can understand that. The big 35’s are certainly a touch or skosh large for most animals.

Elkman":16p6ihr9 said:
I didn't really leave them out, I just failed to mention them. I thought of Bell, and of course that led to the Rigby brand. The other two just jumped into my feeble old mind.

Who are those companies? Are they like P64 70’s :lol:

"Who are those companies? Are they like P64 70’s :lol:"

No, they are more for the bespoke trade, AKA expensive and way over priced. Probably the best European rifles/actions ever made were based on proper German made Mausers. Seems Mauser has brought back the vaunted M98. The "budget" priced rifle starts at $10K. I have several rifles based on genuine Oberndorf Mauser actions and some on FN clones. JMHO, but I consider them superior to even the vaunted pre-64 M70s. Before you strike the matches to start the flaming, I've owned a few and felt them while rather nice, inferior to a Mauser in decent condition. Again I will state, it just my personal opinion based on ownership of the rifles in question.
Paul B.

PJGunner":8xh8juet said:
"Who are those companies? Are they like P64 70’s :lol:"

No, they are more for the bespoke trade, AKA expensive and way over priced. Probably the best European rifles/actions ever made were based on proper German made Mausers. Seems Mauser has brought back the vaunted M98. The "budget" priced rifle starts at $10K. I have several rifles based on genuine Oberndorf Mauser actions and some on FN clones. JMHO, but I consider them superior to even the vaunted pre-64 M70s. Before you strike the matches to start the flaming, I've owned a few and felt them while rather nice, inferior to a Mauser in decent condition. Again I will state, it just my personal opinion based on ownership of the rifles in question.
Paul B.

I’ll take that Paul. No flame from here. The 98 Mauser was the beginning and probably still the best there was.

I have a 6.5x68 Imp, 300 H&H Imp., and 375 H&H Imp plus technically a 35-375 H&H Imp since the 300 and 375 H&H cases spawned a ton of offspring. I call them 30-8mm mag and 308 Baer in .30 caliber, 358STA in .35 caliber, and 375-358STA in .375 caliber but I've used 375 H&H brass in all of them before. The 6.5x68 Imp shoots 140's at 3300fps, the 30-8mm/308 Baer shoots 210's at 3100, and the 375-358STA shoots 250's at 3080fps.

Since I'm probably going to build my 375 Ruger on a different action now I'll have a freed up Winchester M-70 that might become a 404 Jeffery in preparation for my return to Africa. If not that I'd probably build a 416 Rigby on a CZ or Montana action.

Gee fellows you all missed the one here on the forum.
Europe is 80cal hunted more European countries and African then most of us plus she's tuff as nails and not scared of any animal or man.
Wait you said rifle didn't you. :)>)

I own a 375 HH but have always been fascinated by the 416 Rigby. I've never owned one but have probably been thinking about it since I was 12 years old. May have something to do with all the books on Africa I read as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back