Your vote....coolest European cartridge and rifle.

I have a Ruger #1AB in 7x57 that I really really love and it's also a great rifle to start a young person or woman with. I don't have one but would love to have a sang safety Ruger model M77 in 6.5x55. I saw one in a gun shop years ago but didn't pull the trigger that day and when I went back it was gone! I've never come across another and regret not buying it to this day. I would also consider it in a 700 Remington Mountain rifle or a featherweight Winchester model 70, if it was available.

Wonder what the Europeans think of the 30-06 cartridge? I mean, it did cross the sea twice to sort things out over there.

:wink:

salmonchaser said:
I own a 375 HH but have always been fascinated by the 416 Rigby. I've never owned one but have probably been thinking about it since I was 12 years old. May have something to do with all the books on Africa I read as a kid.

salmon chaser, I took a 416 Rigby on my first trip to Africa, and after that trip traded it in for a 375 H & H, as at that time I felt it was just too much gun for me, but the 416 was a sweet, caliber. The 375 H & H served me well, but I think if I was going back today I would purchase a 450/400. I used a 450/400 on my last trip there and loved it, but it was not mine.

Rodger, I have been a very lucky woman and thank the dear lord for my blessings each day.
I was fortunate enough to have both a father and a husband that were true believers in Tim's song "live like you were dying" and I have. ( although my father never heard the song as he was gone before it was recorded) He did use to say to us kids, "time is the only thing you can truly waste, so dont do it, live your life to the fullest, because when you get to the jumping off point, it will be the things you didn't do that you will regret, not the things you did do"

Hodgeman, thanks for starting this thread--great thread!

Guy, you posted while I was typing. It is used in Europe and Africa, but it is not AS popular as it is in the U.S.

Guy Miner":16jjh05d said:
Wonder what the Europeans think of the 30-06 cartridge? I mean, it did cross the sea twice to sort things out over there.
:wink:

And so it did Guy, it remains a very popular cartridge over here.

But, you could have used the word ‘help’ sort things out on this side of the water :wink: we did do our bit before you got here and freely admit, without US aid (y) our forebears would have endured a lengthier as well as costlier time, in lives and cash.

It’s magnificent we have such good friends and allies across the pond.

Good point. The 30-06 helped the 303 sort things out over there.... :wink:

Long ago I noted how many military cartridges have become favored cartridges for civilian target shooters and hunters. European and American.

Guy

There is a movie ‘The Ghost & the darkness’ .. 1997 with Val Kilmer & Michael Douglas about the maneaters of Tsavo .. been there many times man & boy many hunters back then used .303 with fmj bullets to shoot dangerous game.

I have no knowledge of the .30-06 and its use in Africa in the early 1900’s, but I reckon some must have used it, certainly until the MSch was introduced in 1903 and became a favoured hunters rifle alongside the bigger calibres.

Back