Your vote....coolest European cartridge and rifle.

Tough question.
6.5x54 MS and 9.3x62. Although I will admit fascinations with both the 9.3x74 (9.3x62 clone in a single or double rifle configuration) and 450/400.

I would vote for the classic Holland & Holland Double in 375 H&H.

JD338

Europe":2dkvjmrd said:
I do understand why both my new friend in Crete and my old friend in Alaska ( Hodgeman ) does not automatically include England in their thinking, when they think of Europe, but of course it is part of Europe and therefore I am going to stick with the 375 H and H ! LOL

I stand corrected about being the only one who likes the Blaser products, and gladly do so, as I think they make a fine product.

We had ( and my son still does have it ) a 6.5 x 54 MS. It was a very old one with a full length stock and we did not use it much, but it is a cool old caliber and rifle. I do like the 275 Rigby, but not the 7 x 57---( could not resist Hodgeman )

one more question. Am I the only one on the forum who likes double rifles and shotguns ? And I like them side to side not over and under. Just curious, if anyone else hunts with a side by side rifle and shotgun . I know they have their negatives, but I have always enjoyed using them.

I would love to own a nice double rifle but I can not justify the cost. I think a double is definitely something that is European and Africa. I also dont use or have a double shotgun either side by side or over and under, but several people I hunt with do have an over and under but I dont remember anyone actually having a side by side double shotgun that I hunt with.

Guy Miner":3rim96ft said:
5.6x52R - 'cause that's almost the only one I've got!
wJS2A5ql.jpg

It's actually the 22 Savage Hi Power, but from what I can tell the little rimmed cartridge is more popular in Europe than in North America anymore. Only factory ammo I can buy now is from Europe. Mine is a Savage 99 lever action from 1913.

The only other one I have is the 11.7mm Danish, which is similar to the 45/70, but just different enough to keep me from being able to drop a 45/70 into the chamber of the old rolling block. I am getting better at handloading it.
nwPAeQ9l.jpg

The bayonet is a great idea when your hunting bear with a single shot! :lol:

I have only ever owned one double firearm; a Browning BSS in 20 ga w/ 26" barrels and the field grip stock. Unforunately I never did get around to shooting it before I sold it to acquire another firearm higher on my priority list. Really liked the feel and balance of it and probably should have kept it as it took Almost 15 years to find one.

As for a double rifle, I think the one I mentioned in another thread last year (name escaping me in my cold-induced stupor at the moment LOL cough!) in 9.3x74R would be most useful and likely to be used here for brush hunting moose and bears. And it seemed reasonably priced for a double rifle.

Mark me down for 6.5x55, 7x57, 300h&h, and 375h&h. Tracking these are European cartridges, but they sure do go well in our ol’ friend the M70!
V/R,
Joe

Gonna have to go with my new love interest the 9.3x62. Followed by a previous love interest the 6.5x55. I have to add the 7x57 since I’ve yet to own own it, but definitely on my wish list. And if I were a rich man I would want all three of them on mauser actions built by rigby during the pre war years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europe":a4wgjtm1 said:
I do understand why both my new friend in Crete and my old friend in Alaska ( Hodgeman ) does not automatically include England in their thinking, when they think of Europe, but of course it is part of Europe and therefore I am going to stick with the 375 H and H ! LOL

I stand corrected about being the only one who likes the Blaser products, and gladly do so, as I think they make a fine product.

We had ( and my son still does have it ) a 6.5 x 54 MS. It was a very old one with a full length stock and we did not use it much, but it is a cool old caliber and rifle. I do like the 275 Rigby, but not the 7 x 57---( could not resist Hodgeman )

one more question. Am I the only one on the forum who likes double rifles and shotguns ? And I like them side to side not over and under. Just curious, if anyone else hunts with a side by side rifle and shotgun . I know they have their negatives, but I have always enjoyed using them.
I would love to have a double rifle in either .470 or .500 NE!

The only "double" shotgun I own is a stacked (O/U) one.

EOD Diver":3ry6dv9j said:
Mark me down for 6.5x55, 7x57, 300h&h, and 375h&h. Tracking these are European cartridges, but they sure do go well in our ol’ friend the M70!
V/R,
Joe

Amen to that... my dream rifle is a P64 in 7x57...

would someone please post a map of Europe so I will know whether or not my 275, 300 and 375 H &H caliber rifles are from Europe. If they are then those are my favorites as they are what I have.

oh I forgot. In reference to a double rifle. For the amount of money that they cost I could improve my dog team to a point that I might actually win a race, so no, I have no interest in a double rifle

Good morning Cheyenne,

Sorry but I am not practiced in adding attachments or pics on this forum...

Your cartridges from Holland and Holland were created in Britain, which is of course part of Europe, so technically qualify as "European", regardless of what the people who like to point their pinky finger to the heavens as they sip their tea may tell you! LOL (no offense to the Brits intended!)

The coolest I have ever owned was a Heym Drilling. Double 12 over a 7x57. As a shotgun, I've held very few that pointed and swung as well. The scope was equipped with quick release mounts and could be carried in a leather quiver, if you will. Rifle accuracy was adequate, about 1 1/2" at 100 yards. A perfect weapon for places like South Dakota where a buck may be jumped from pheasant cover.
I learned however one must take care in that most states do not allow hunting deer with dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man alive, there are a few cool European cartridges & yes, the UK is indeed in Europe (Even though we want out of the Federal States of Europe dictatorship) with the likes of H&H and Westley Richards etc making fair old contributions with their cartridges, guns and modifications.

Personally, I just love the early Mannlicher Schoenauer ever so slick actions and the 6.5x54MSch cartridge (y) .
7x57 drops into my likings too, but I'm still looking for an early MSch Stutzen to fill that slot.
Very very difficult to find one, but there are lots of GK Steyr Mannlichers out there. Although extremely close, just not quite the real thing for me.

6.5x55 and 6.4x47Lapua do it for me.

Just recently I bought a Mannlicher Classic Stutzen in 6.5x55. Currently not quite ready for use as I'm just sorting out the wood on it and have yet to scope it.
I think I've decided to put the Zeiss 8x56 1" tube off my Blaser K95 onto the Classic and fit a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 30mm tube jobbie onto the K95.
New scope rings to do that have just arrived at my dealer.

Over the next month or so the two will be done and ready for next season (y) :) .

Attachments

• Mannlicher Classic Stutzen 6.5x55SE a.jpg
    Mannlicher Classic Stutzen 6.5x55SE a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 536
  • MSch Scope Mounts 13.JPG
    MSch Scope Mounts 13.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 536
In a standard production rifle it would be hard to beat a Sako in 6.5x55. The calibers history is unquestionable
It's performance on game most of us normally hunt is stunning, if you could only pick one I would pick a Swede

Attachments

• IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 430
On the bolt side I think nothing touches the iconic, Rigby Rifle, in .416, it doesn't get any cooler than that. On the double side its harder because there were a lot more, a Westly Richards or a Purdey both in .500 NE would be my choice. On a more practice side, (of which I tend to be) would be a custom Mauser in .275 Rigby might be pretty cool, I understand that combination might be effective just about any sort pf big game.

Elkman":t0199oxd said:
On the bolt side I think nothing touches the iconic, Rigby Rifle, in .416, it doesn't get any cooler than that. On the double side its harder because there were a lot more, a Westly Richards or a Purdey both in .500 NE would be my choice. On a more practice side, (of which I tend to be) would be a custom Mauser in .275 Rigby might be pretty cool, I understand that combination might be effective just about any sort pf big game.

.275 Rigby is of course 7x57Mauser which is recognisable as the cartridge of choice in a Mannlicher Schoenauer of Karen von Blixen in the early 1900’s, others also of the period favoured it too and its popularity is still very evident.

Back