Z6 vs MK4

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Did a comparison the other night in an extreme low light condition after cutting hay. I had 20 head of deer out on the field and trying to get rid of a few badgers. Well my targets were hiding but I did get to do a good comparison of the scopes. The Z6 mounted on my 280AI and the MK 4 mounted on my brothers AR-10. It was about an hour and a half after sunset the last rays of sunlight could be seen behind me in a pink haze over the mountain tops. We were scoping the field for a badger I had seen but no luck. I could easily track the deer at 200 yards with the Z6 on 15 power and could easily count 20 head with no moonlight. It was clear enough to watch individuals pass each other and if they were in season been able to take a clean shot. With the MK 4 not only on the low setting of 8.5 but with a larger objective 50 mm vs 44mm you could barely make out where I had stopped cutting about 100 yards in. I was impressed to say the least. The Nikon on my 22-250 also was there and you could make out the deer but there was no way to actually pick out an individual. A friend of mine was with me on the AR first and he said he couldn't see anything out there not even the deer. So I handed him my rifle and he was totally blown away. "I thought you were lying when you said you were tracking 20 head of deer."

I guess good optics are worth the money. Thanks Mike!

I'm sold on spending the money on good glass. I do enjoy being able to see game. Consequently, Jake, the comparison with good binoculars is just as dramatic. In similar light conditions, my Geovids allow me to watch deer (and range them as well) to 600 yards. These are no better, but certainly no worse, than Zeiss Victory and/or Swarovski binos.

You aren't kidding. The Zeiss Bino's are pretty awesome glasses. I really am in love with them. The Swaro Spotter has spoiled the bejesus out of me as well. It has put me on a quest to find a proper Zeiss, Leica or Swaro on my new 338 Win Mag. The Minox's I have eat all my VX3's lunch. I always thought the VX3's were awesome till I started looking through the high end Euro stuff..

Man, this place seems to cost me alot of money..

Idahotrophyhunter":3vxvdnkk said:
schmidt bender zenith - you will like it low light!!!!

I was all set to start saving for one or two, right until they raised the price $500! :evil:

Good report Jake.
I need to check out the Z6.

JD338

I knew it was good. Not that good. I paid $400 more for the Z6 than my brother for that MK 4 and got at least twice the scope. Don't get me wrong the MK4 is very nice but it just doesn't compare. My friend doesn't know hardly a thing about rifles or scopes and it was blatent to him which was better at first look.

Scott, you might want to look at the premier Hunter or light tactical, the kahles, or the stieners. Lots of good reviews on all of them. there has been a few guys moving away from the schmidts since they raised there ransom, however the Schmidt is still the scope to which all others are judged. I will either go with a premier or a Schmidt for my next scope purchase. almost traded two of my nightforces for a premier on the hide this week.

I'm really digging this new Zeiss over my Leupolds and can see a Swaro Z5 in my near future. Can't wait to see Joel's Premier Tactical this weekend.

usmc 89":2a7gzwez said:
Scott, you might want to look at the premier Hunter or light tactical, the kahles, or the stieners. Lots of good reviews on all of them. there has been a few guys moving away from the schmidts since they raised there ransom, however the Schmidt is still the scope to which all others are judged. I will either go with a premier or a Schmidt for my next scope purchase. almost traded two of my nightforces for a premier on the hide this week.

I plan on looking at a few of them Jeff. I am really thinking it will be a Swaro, Leica, ect for the rifle. The darned scope will end up being more than the rifle is, but it should be a nice package when it is complete.

I want to look through a Stiener scope as well. I have read some really good reports on them. You never know if it is hype by a writer or the real deal until you look through it in a field setting. Steiner makes great quality bino's, so they should be able to translate that to quality scopes. The secret is making a good repeatable target turret to go with the quality glass.

I have been really impressed with the Premier light tactical I bought recently and want to see what a full blown 34mm tactical version is like. S&B quality glass from what I can tell. It is a first focal plane reticle, which takes some time to get used to, but I really like the A7 reticle in the scope.

257 Ackley":2go9oroo said:
I want to look through a Stiener scope as well. I have read some really good reports on them. You never know if it is hype by a writer or the real deal until you look through it in a field setting. Steiner makes great quality bino's, so they should be able to translate that to quality scopes. The secret is making a good repeatable target turret to go with the quality glass.

I have been really impressed with the Premier light tactical I bought recently and want to see what a full blown 34mm tactical version is like. S&B quality glass from what I can tell. It is a first focal plane reticle, which takes some time to get used to, but I really like the A7 reticle in the scope.

Joel,

Many years ago, I looked through a S&B scope and it was a first focal plane reticle. The glass was awesome but as you increased the power, the reticle got bigger. Why is the first focal plane better?

JD338

Jim, ffp scopes maintain there moa or mil value throughout the power settings, that is why you will see the reticle get small when you turn them down and get larger when you turn them up. an ffp is faster and more universal when using holdovers on different magnification settings. a second focal plane scope the reticle is constant but the reticle value changes at different magnification. in other words if your reticle is calibrated at 22 power and you want to use a holdover at a power other than what its calibrated for there will be some math involved. ffp also has a catch when you are on the lowest power the reticle is tiny, and when your at max some reticle get rather large and sometimes block out a good portion of a small long range target. most guys that shoot a lot of tactical matches and precision rifle matches will use a ffp scope for the reason it is faster using the reticle for a holdover and the turret to dial the change ie 3.4 mils would mean hold on the third dot and make a 4 click adjustment on the turret up, rather than dialing the full amount on the turret.

Has anyone have experience with the Stiener? I might look at one after I get my current projects done for a custom long range varmint rifle. 6-284 on a M70 LA in a Micky A-3 with a 26" tube. I hate when my mind is spending all my money before I even get close to a project.

snipers hide has a few reviews on it from field use. the people that own them really like them. the top tier tactical is right at 3k along with the rest of the top tier scopes. There has been several premier tactical scopes in mint condition selling for 2500 lately on there as well. I am really looking hard at the premiers right now. there may be a couple of nightforce scopes for sale here shortly.

usmc 89":wdcn929l said:
there may be a couple of nightforce scopes for sale here shortly.

I'm with you Jeff. The more I shoot the "small" Premier scope I have, the more I like it. The 34mm tubes are even better. I figure selling a couple NF scopes should pay for one Premier. :roll:

Back