Zeiss Conquest upgrade to HD5?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I kinda was bad the other day. I went to look at a VXR, and the shop also had a couple HD5's in stock. I just had to see what Zeiss has done, and I was VERY impressed. I looked at it, looked at it, looked through it, and couldnt put it down...

Now, I have a 3-9 Conquest on my 7mm08, and also have a 2.5-8 with Turrets NIB without a home. I really do like the COnquests...but the HD5 seemed much better to me. I am seriously considering either trading them both for or selling them for a HD5 for the 7mm08.

Wise move, or better to stick with what I have?

I didn't compare mine at low light levels but in bright light I didn't notice a ton of difference between the Conquest and HD5. Both were clearer than my Nightforce. The 5x25 weighs a lot more and has nicer target knobs than the standard Conquest.

AJ, if that is what floats your boat buddy, I can't see you losing. I am not sure the new HD5's are that much better than the Conquests, but they are nice. Which one are you looking at?

SJB358":3nw975tx said:
AJ, if that is what floats your boat buddy, I can't see you losing. I am not sure the new HD5's are that much better than the Conquests, but they are nice. Which one are you looking at?

I was looking at the 2-10 model, but I did some more thinking and am gonna put the 2.5-8 on the 7mm08 and save the 3-9 for a backup scope/scope for another rifle down the road. The 2.5-8 is too nice to send down the road, and with the turrets I have a hell of a good setup for the 7mm08.

Think you're on the right track here. I recently acquired a 2-10 HD5 and while it is very good optically, it is noticeably heavier than an MC Conquest. For your 7-08, the 2.5-8 is perfect.

Hegland":3s0gfxb2 said:
Think you're on the right track here. I recently acquired a 2-10 HD5 and while it is very good optically, it is noticeably heavier than an MC Conquest. For your 7-08, the 2.5-8 is perfect.

Hope so. The rifle weighs 9 pounds with the 3-9 right now, and thats a tad heavy for a 7mm08 to me. Hopefully this lightens it up a bit otherwise I may have to put it in a McMillan Edge

Back