New carry pistol...big change

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Pocket rockets... always understood they have their place in the world, just never liked the idea of depending on something so.....weak.

But, things change, situations change - and we gotta adapt or get left behind.

After my heart attack a while back I've been talking a long look at how I earn my living... I'm a flatbed truck driver, which is and always has been a young man's game (I've come to understand that I'm no longer a young man) ... the hours are long (12-18 hour days), the work is hard (lifting 160 pound tarps, throwing chains over loads, etc.), and it's outside in the 100+ degree heat or below 0 cold, depending on the season.

I'm too old and uneducated to change... so... I'm going to get some help... I'm going to become a driver trainer and see if I can teach these new kids a thing or two.

Hence the pocket rocket... having someone in the truck with me 2-4 weeks at a time means no more conventional carry, it's gotta stay truly hidden and out of sight...100%, all the time.... the company has no rules or policies against carrying, but I figure it's best kept out of sight and out of mind.

After weeks of research I settled on the M&P Bodyguard 380 without the integrated laser...lots of people love that gun, lots also hate it.... the trigger has a very long, very heavy pull that most folks just don't like.

I figure a true pocket pistol should have just such a trigger to be truly safe, it took some practice but I got used to it.

The gun has been 100% reliable and is way more accurate than it should be for what it is (something a lot of people who hated it still also noted about it).

Carried in a Sticky Holster it just disappears into the front pocket of my work pants (Dickies, Carhartts, Wranglers).

I'd feel better with my M&P 9mm, but that's a no go... the Glock 43 and Sig P365 are too big for "me" to hide in a pocket (others say they can).

The little M&P Bodyguard is a cute little thing, kinda like a puppy, lol....I didn't choose it based on looks, but it is in my opinion the best looking of the polymer micro pistols.

Oh well, it beats a sharp stick anyways.

Last edited:
Very nice rib sticker. Makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. Don't know if you have any options but maybe use your 9mm as a back up. If you kept it in your duffel bag you would have it if the SHTF. For EDC, the 380 is perfect.
Hopefully you never need it.

JD338

Very nice rib sticker. Makes sense for the reasons you mentioned. Don't know if you have any options but maybe use your 9mm as a back up. If you kept it in your duffel bag you would have it if the SHTF. For EDC, the 380 is perfect.
Hopefully you never need it.

JD338

I keep a "go bag" kinda thing with me... it's a Rush 24 backpack... it'll hold my Bible, a change of clothes, meds, and other things I need to take if I'm out of the truck for a couple of days (like if the truck is in the shop and I'm in a motel)... but I'm just not comfortable having a gun that's not on me in the truck, with a stranger (a new one every few weeks)... If they decided to go snooping through my stuff and all that.

And yes sir...I pray I never need it... but its kinda like the fire extinguisher... better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I've said many times that the small pistol that you do carry is much more effective than the big pistol that you leave home because it's just a PITA to carry.
IMO the Kahr PM9 is hard to beat for a totally concealable pistol with enough punch to get the job done.

I've said many times that the small pistol that you do carry is much more effective than the big pistol that you leave home because it's just a PITA to carry.
IMO the Kahr PM9 is hard to beat for a totally concealable pistol with enough punch to get the job done.
I agree that Kahr is a nice option... it just wasn't quite small enough for me to hide conveniently...I looked over and handled every possible 9mm option... the Glock 43, Sig P365, the PM9, the Kimber micro 9's, the Springfield options, etc.

I really liked some of the 1911 style options, even the 380's... but that beavertail killed them for me, for this.

The only real options I had, that I could hide in pants, were the Bodyguard, the LCP's (not the Max), P3AT, and the Seecamp LWS380 (which I'll probably still buy if I find a deal on one).

I kinda wish there were more new options in 32 acp... something the same size as the Bodyguard, but with a few more rounds on tap.

I'm happy with the Bodyguard though, after working with the Bodyguard for several weeks and getting used to it my M&P 9 2.0 Compact (that is GREAT in every way) feels like a huge pistol in my hand, lol.

Yes. Agree with everything Ridgerunner665.

I used to carry the full size, all steel 5" 45 cal 1911 pretty much all the time. Got good at carrying it discretely and it made sense as it was also my duty gun and the gun I shot most often and best.

BUT... Older now. Not "on duty" anymore. But I want a gun. Something with me. Like many of us I've accumulated revolvers & semi-autos over the years. One was specifically for "backup gun" duty when I was a cop, a little 9mm Kahr CM9. It's so easy to carry! Light, compact. I've carried it like you in a pocket holster. Works well. I've also carried it a surprising amount in an ankle holster. Not quick to draw from, pretty easy while seated in the car or Jeep... And nobody ever notices it! Like the danged thing is invisible.

Also have a "Gunfighter Inc" kydex belt holster for it, outside the waistband. That's a little less discrete, but very comfortable and I like having the Kahr on my belt, strong side. I also carry a spare mag in my pocket. No, it's not the 45 1911, but it's a gun, and it's almost always with me, unless I decide I need something bigger. Just wore it to church this morning. Nobody noticed. Of course many of the folks there just expect that I'll be carrying. :)

Oh the Kahr also has that long smooth DA trigger pull you mentioned. I like it for this type of gun too.

I think you made a good decision. Regards, Guy

I have a Ruger LCP2 in a 380 and it fits in a shirt pocket, let alone a pants pocket. I love that little thing. It goes with me whenever I need a truly concealed pistol. I have no doubt that a 380 with XTPs will do the job if need be.

I also feel you on the truck driving. I've been doing it for 3 years now and I'm already over it...Too long of hours, too much time away from home, no time to do much of anything really. It's not a great life these days. The pay isn't near what it used to be, the work is long and hard, on your body and mind. There's no retirement, no benefits, nothing really worth it anymore period at the end of the day besides a pay check. That's why I'm in the process of becoming a CO at the prison in the next town over. Better pay, better benefits and retirement, and less hours.

I have a Ruger LCP2 in a 380 and it fits in a shirt pocket, let alone a pants pocket. I love that little thing. It goes with me whenever I need a truly concealed pistol. I have no doubt that a 380 with XTPs will do the job if need be.

I also feel you on the truck driving. I've been doing it for 3 years now and I'm already over it...Too long of hours, too much time away from home, no time to do much of anything really. It's not a great life these days. The pay isn't near what it used to be, the work is long and hard, on your body and mind. There's no retirement, no benefits, nothing really worth it anymore period at the end of the day besides a pay check. That's why I'm in the process of becoming a CO at the prison in the next town over. Better pay, better benefits and retirement, and less hours.
I'm a 2nd generation driver... Dad had his own truck, I've always been a company driver, I never wanted the headache of being an owner operator...I been at it almost 20 years, 3 million miles, and have enjoyed it... mostly.

As a company driver I do have decent benefits and retirement... but making it that last 12-15 years to 62 - 65 as a flatbed driver might be rough lol... I'm almost 51 now.

Its not as much fun as it used to be, I loved it back in the day but a lot has changed over the years.

I got my tanker and HazMat endorsement (X) while I was off the 2 months for the heart attack... thinking I'd have to make the change but then the doc started telling me that I was one of the lucky (blessed) ones in that I had no damage to my heart, despite the massive heart attack, cardiac arrest, CPR, no working heart for quite a long time (on the order of 15 minutes)...doc said everything he sees says I can keep going, as hard as I ever went.... on that, I can go harder now than I've been able to in a few years, I didn't realize how bad the chest tightness and shortness of breath had gotten until it was gone...I feel 10 years younger, truly.

I prayed on it for weeks, no doors opened showing me a way to make a change, I figured that was God telling me He wasn't done with me here yet... then the door did open for me to be a trainer here so I'm going to keep moving forward believing it's where He wants me and doing what He wants me to do.

As they say... someone somewhere is depending on me doing what God has called me to do.... I really don't want to let either one of them down.

That Body Guard is a nice pocket pistol. My wife chose it because it has a safety. I like because it will fit in the cargo pocket of my 5.11s.
I wish you could train them all, there are too many drivers out there that graduated from the we don't fail anybody school. Good luck in your new vocation.

We do need to know... That shot placement is king. This is a group of hunters here for the most part, so I think we understand that well.

As a cop I saw quite a few cases of folks being shot yet sustaining little damage, and not even being taken out of the fight... Sometimes multiple hits, but none in important areas. I strongly suspect that shot placement is vastly superior to bullet type or cartridge choice.

Guy

We do need to know... That shot placement is king. This is a group of hunters here for the most part, so I think we understand that well.

As a cop I saw quite a few cases of folks being shot yet sustaining little damage, and not even being taken out of the fight... Sometimes multiple hits, but none in important areas. I strongly suspect that shot placement is vastly superior to bullet type or cartridge choice.

Guy
Agree completely Guy. Over the years I saw a number of different caliber strikes and it didn't seem to phase the person on the receiving end unless the placement was in the right area.

Guy

Long before I became a LEO, I worked in a LGS. Back then the tiny SS Budachowski (sp) pistol in 25ACP became very popular as an off-duty gun for our NYC PD customers. That was until 3 officers got involved with a deranged man while they were out to dinner with their wives. Two officers opened fire on the guy as one of them was stabbed. The perp took several hit in the chest without even flinching. The third cop pulled our a Browning High Power in 9mm and dropped the guy on the spot.

It didn't take long before all those 25ACP pistols came back to the store and put into our used gun inventory. Moral of the story:
"It's always good to carry enough gun."

I purchased my wife a Ruger LCP Max 380. We haven't been out for her to shoot it yet, but I know I sure like it. It's small and light and 13 + 1 is not too shabby for such a small pistol. I've probably put 300 rounds through it without a glitch. It shoots pretty darn nice for such a little thing. I think she's going to really like it a lot. If she can pry it out of my hands that is.

I feel ya. I've been running a flat bed tri-axle straight truck hauling mining equipment to coal mines for 30 years, it's definitely much harder on the body and soul than people think, some of the places I go a billy goat would think twice about. Sometimes you find yourself all alone in the middle of nowhere. I think you've made a good choice, there. I ended up with the Glock 33 Sub 357 Sig. It's a snappy little rascal. Glad you're back up and running!

Long before I became a LEO, I worked in a LGS. Back then the tiny SS Budachowski (sp) pistol in 25ACP became very popular as an off-duty gun for our NYC PD customers. That was until 3 officers got involved with a deranged man while they were out to dinner with their wives. Two officers opened fire on the guy as one of them was stabbed. The perp took several hit in the chest without even flinching. The third cop pulled our a Browning High Power in 9mm and dropped the guy on the spot.

It didn't take long before all those 25ACP pistols came back to the store and put into our used gun inventory. Moral of the story:
"It's always good to carry enough gun."
I can agree that the .25ACP is not enough gun since I took one to the back of my head from a perp that was never caught. But I'm very thankful that it was a .25ACP and not a .22 rim fire which would probably have killed me.
The .25ACP bounced off the back of my head. Though it felt like someone hit me with a hammer it never penetrated and gave me a mild concussion.
That incident occur in our Nation's Capitol of all places back in the early 2000s.
I always carried a full size 1911 when I was driving over the road after being told it was better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 by a NJ State Trouper.

I can agree that the .25ACP is not enough gun since I took one to the back of my head from a perp that was never caught. But I'm very thankful that it was a .25ACP and not a .22 rim fire which would probably have killed me.
The .25ACP bounced off the back of my head. Though it felt like someone hit me with a hammer it never penetrated and gave me a mild concussion.
That incident occur in our Nation's Capitol of all places back in the early 2000s.
I always carried a full size 1911 when I was driving over the road after being told it was better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 by a NJ State Trouper.

Woah - that's a rather disturbing incident. Someone was watching over you on that day. Good to hear that it ended as well as it did.

I like the bodyguard, but I do not own one. I find the controls are just too small for me to manipulate effectively with my meat hooks. When I carry pocket, I prefer a DAO revolver, or one with a shrouded hammer. Yes, I like a full size whenever possible, but sometimes you just can't carry one and maintain concealment.

I've got a Ruger LCP and LC9.
Both are pretty easy to hide in a front pocket. I've got a IWB holster for the LC9. With a gun belt, you can wear it all day and never notice it.
These days, my EDC is the Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro with a red dot. My truck gun is a S&W 629 3".

JD338

I put 200 rounds through it yesterday, mostly WWB but also some Hornady Critical Defense.

I don't find it hard to shoot, just different... it's not a Glock 19 or M&P 9 2.0.

After some practice, I can make rapid 15 yard hits on an 8 inch steel gong just fine...maybe not as rapid as with my M&P 9 2.0, but still pretty rapid.

Back