Zeiss Optics

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
I just wanted to say a quick word about my Zeiss Rangefinder and scope.

It is very ture, "You get what you pay for" in regards to optics. Yesterday was the first time I had the pleasure of turning the turrets on my scope. Never before have a felt such positive clicks. The rangefinder, I trust it more than two others, mine and a friend's, and can't wait to be getting readings on game instead of just paper targets at the range.

I'm finding that while one can make do with less it is sometimes worth it to save a little longer and get better than just plain "good enough". I was told a long time ago, "You can only ride as good as your equipment." If you have junk equipment you will ride like junk. The same adage can apply here. :)

I'd rather have one high quality item than three not so good items but have to keep proving that method is correct as I will often buy less to save money and end up spending more later, getting what I should've gotten the first time, in the first place.

Vince, your statements should be a sticky. Hard to go wrong with stuff like Zeiss. What scope did you get?

Vince, I agree with what you say in principle. However, the rub comes in the fact that of having nine rifles of which seven are centerfire rifles with which to support your hypothesis. I am now to the point after a ten year upgrade program where all seven of my centerfire rifles have at least a Leupold VX3 on each of them and four of my best rifles have Zeiss Diavari, Kahles or Swarovski optics on them. The other three CF rifles have Zeiss Conquest, or Leupold VX3 optics. The two rimfires have a Leupold VXII rimfire and a Minox ZA5 on them. So, I am pretty well set except for the rimfires but they are certainly adequate optics. Plus, I have a Zeiss Conquest scope as a spare.

This is a long term program and requires some asset commitment as I have nearly $5,500. in scopes that would cost $6,500 today. Plus another $1,500. in spotting scopes and binoculars and $300 in laser finders. This represents a total of over $8,000 replacement cost just for optics without having purchased one rifle! Add to that another $6,500 in rifles, which would cost $8,000 to replace and you are up to a $16,000 investment for only seven high power rifles and rwo rimfires, plus their optics. You will notice that optics equal the cost of rifles, unit for unit, across the board

This is a major financial commitment without adding any shotguns to the mix which in my case is only one Beretta O/U presently for a cost of $2,000. This also does not include $4,000 worth of handguns. Altogether, this can get to be an expensive hobby if you are committed to expensive optics and decent quality firearms.

SJB358":1alvwnoa said:
Vince, your statements should be a sticky. Hard to go wrong with stuff like Zeiss. What scope did you get?

I got a HD5 5-25x50 with a Z800 Reticle.

I just talked a friend in to a Zeiss today too as she is starting to shoot bolt action rifles and is sponsering a Sig Academy Precision Rifle Class later this year. She got a Remington .308 rifle, which will get her to 1,000 Yards at the range, and the Zeiss scope with a Z1000 reticle.

The Z800 should fill my needs as far as hunting goes. I'm liking the optical clarity but still find the scope pretty "busy" for my eyes. At least the reticle is bold enough that I don't have a problem seing it. :grin:

I just bought a Zeiss Conquest last month in order to make sure that I could get a 3.5-10x44 before the current stock is exhausted and becomes Terra. I picked the #4 reticle to be able to see it in any light, the present Z800 looks like an eye chart to me. The new 800 that is coming out is less cluttered it appears.

I'm pretty close to decided on a Z600 for my 338 Win Mag. A little less going on in the reticle and still enough elevation to get my 338 to 600 which would be about as far as I would shoot anyhow.

That sounds like a plan, Scotty. I should think it will serve you well.

My newest Conquest is mounted on my very accurate, BOSS, .30-06, 22 inch barrel which completes the upgrading of that rifle with #4 reticle. I now have (3) Zeiss scopes and (1) 10x42 Victory binocular. No more excuses for poor shooting allowed just Senior Moments!

Mine came back yesterday with a real "adjustable" elevation turret. I will install it on my 300 WM and send the Leupy to Leupold for a tune up. This is the second of these same scopes that have gotten funny for me on windage adjustment. When it comes home it will probably go on the tactical 308

Back