Zeiss Terra, etc

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Hello all,
Thought about adding a scope or two for some ongoing builds I'm doing.
On the lower end of the scale (at least for Zeiss) I saw the Terra's.
Any experience with these?
How do they compare with the same price point Vortex, Minox etc? (Not trying to get any maker bashed)
Thanks in advance!

Hi Dewey, I just have bought three new Conquests, including (2) HD5, 3-15x42 scopes. Plus I own a Zeiss Diavari V and another smaller and older Conquest. That is (6) Zeiss total, out of (12) scopes, just for reference.

There is still confusion in the optics world about the new Terra models, where their components are made and is assembly done. There also seems to be some disenchantment with optical clarity and softness of field. I pass on the Terra, at least until I know what I would be getting, containing who's components, made where?

I am certainly not a Zeiss knocker. Zeiss has changed the game on this product and I won't ever be guinea pig again for an optic's company.

Thank you very much!
Zeiss is a great name I agree.
I saw a couple Terra Scopes and was curious as to clarity and value.
Sounds like I should just go up a step and buy the proven ones.

Zeiss does make great scopes and I will continue to use and enjoy the ones that I have. I still do not believe in the free optical lunch though. There are many fine scope brands out there to choose from without crippling your enjoyment of shooting.

I looked at a 3-9 Terra today and it had Japan marked on the bottom ? But for 399.00 it seemed like a decent deal and I liked the clarity of it myself ?

I spoke with a Zeiss rep and was told that its typical Zeiss German engineering but assembled in Japan. It was designed to replace the Conquest line and price point. The Terra tested better color resolution than the previous Conquest, held to the same or exceeding quality, durability and stress testing as the Conquest. The Conquest HD5 is an entirely different premium line. For $399 or so, I see it as a wise choice compared to others in that price range. Zeiss carries a great warranty and have customer service to back it up.

Thanks MG.
Saw a couple yesterday and looked through them in the store....but that's in a store. Kind of difficult to objectively see much difference there.
Dewey

Color resolution is all in the coatings and using enough lenses to correct the differing diffusion indexes for the three wavelengths of the basic colors. Having color correction is nice but having softness in the outer curvature of these lenses means that Zeiss is not holding grinding tolerances as well on these lenses. If I had to trade, I could live with the color aberration better than the softness of image. The older Conquests correct the Cyan and Magenta well but do not have the extra lens to correct the diffusion index of the yellow light. Most people do not even notice the uncorrected yellow.

The fact of life is: You do not get a $1000 lens package in a $400 scope, no matter where it is made. Zeiss jacked the selling price of the Conquest up $200-$300 and inserted a Japanese product in as their own (Leupold type tricks) product. However Zeiss gets themselves somewhat off the hook by producing a better consumer scope in the HD5.

I like the HD5, I like the new, upgraded Conquest and I will not buy a Terra (or a Duralyte). Keep upgrading Zeiss and I will stay with you (I now own 5 Zeiss scopes). Keep playing games, Zeiss, and cheapening products and I will switch to Swarovski or Leica, or?

Nicely stated.
Kind of hard to argue with the Swaro. Ive been lusting after a certain Swarovski scope for a while. Probably should just break down and buy the darn thing.

I'm kind of interested in an opinion from a specific perspective. Charlie, I know you're pretty unimpressed with the Terra lineup. If your budget were $400-500 for a big game scope, which would likely put 3-9x40, 2-10x40, and maybe some 4-16x40 scopes within your budget, what do you think is the best glass in that price range? I know what I think, but I'm not going to introduce that info yet so as to leave the discussion impartial for now. Curious to see what you (Charlie) and others think of the question, as an extension of this particular post's original question.

Dub, from what I have read recently, I think that Burris may be coming back into the US Made scope fold. I would be willing to give them a chance if this is true and their new scopes are good. Also, I have bought both a new Leupold 1.5-5x20, VX3 and a clearance, 3.5-10x44 Zeiss Conquest in the past year, both for $500 (less for the Leupy). These, in addition to the two HD5 Zeiss, 2-15x42 scopes that I have bought.

My scope selection is pretty full at the moment, having 12 scopes for 10 rifles. This gives me the opportunity to take the 2-10x40 Minox out of use even though it is on a rimfire at the moment. Plus, I still have a VXIII Leupy 4.5-14x40AO as a spare.

I'm certain this isn't anything you don't already know, dubyam, but...

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-35-10x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P67509.aspx

I am also a Leupold fan; I know we may have somewhat different views there, but the general-purpose VX3s are squarely in that price range. Also, I found a 3-9X36 Swaro on clearance at Scheels for just over $600. A little outside your stated price range but definitely worth it. Sample List also has them from time to time. If you can find the right price, the Z3 has to be one of the best values out there.

I bought a "open box" 3.5-10x44 Zeiss Conquest scope last summer when they were being discontinued, at least in that objective format. It was the best $499 that I ever spent. The scope is great! It has high contrast and resolution as well as being a better performance scope than some of the older Conquests that I have owned or seen. If the newer, discontinued Conquests are all that good, I would not hesitate to buy another one. This one is mounted on my .30-06 Model 70 and is a great scope.

Back