Smith & Wesson Mod. 19-3 6" value?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
I see my S&W Mod. 19-3, 357Mag., 6" bbl., as new with box and instructions, valued on for sale sites at between $500 and $600.
Why is it less than other S&W 357Mag revolvers from the same period.
Steven L. Ashe

The Model 19 was built on a standard "K" S&W frame which was originally designed for cartridges up to and including the .38 Special. The early .357 Magnums were built on the magnum "N" frame starting in 1935 (a frame which became the Model 27). This because the .357 Magnum could be loaded up to pressures in the range of 35,000 psi. At that time, most "K" frame guns were limited to 15,000 psi.

Later on, in the early 1960's S&W began to offer the Model 19, .357 revolver on a redesigned and strengthened "K" frame with special hardened tool steel components designed to handle the pressure of the .357 Cartridge.

These Model 19 revolvers are often valued at less money because if they were shot a lot with high powered loads, the components in the gun would wear faster and the guns became worn and loose in mechanical lock up which made them undesirable as a used gun. This is really a revolver which needs to be looked at in person before buying, and are especially considered undesirable to be bought sight unseen because of wear and loose action problems.

A lot of cop - used K-frame .357's were fed a steady diet of lead bullet .38's, and only shot jacketed .357 mag rounds occasionally - but some of those K-frame .38's & .357's saw a LOT of shooting...

Mine is one such. A 2.5" .357 Model 19. Pretty rough shape, but shoots good. Mine is NOT a collectors piece.

Guy

Thanks for the responses.
This one is so cherry, I hesitate to shoot it. Since I won't shoot it, it has to go, as soon as I finish fondling it. I enjoy holding a handgun when I watch films (at HOME) like "Dirty Harry". I practice by taking out bad guys, aiming at the screen.
So likely will play with it for awhile then put it in it's blue S&W box, with it's papers, and sell it.
The caveat regarding no high volume of fire with 357Mag stuck me. Besides, I have my old, three screw Blackhawk 357Mag to burn powder through. Same length barrel, so same tasking, in terms of effective range.
Steve

Steven, I happen to really like the Model 19 and have owned 4-5 of them over the years. Particularly the 2-1/2 inch Model 19, chrome plated. These 2-1/2 chrome now are collector pieces and I owned two of them for concealed carry. I have small hands and the Model 28 is too big for my hands. That is why I favor the 19. If yours has not been shot much, you should get a good price for it. A lot of people like the Model 19.

Yeah, the 19s were nice. Somewhere in the scrub of the badlands of west Texas, about 20 miles out of Marfa, there lays an unfired Model 19 that fell out of my holster unbeknownst to me at the time. It's been there for 27 years.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RR, it probably is about NRA 10% by now, even if you found it after 27 years, it probably won't fire. :mrgreen: Seriously, that would be an awful thing though, to lose an S&W Model 19 revolver somewhere and not know where to look! I would be sad about that also.

RiverRider":snikzt4l said:
Yeah, the 19s were nice. Somewhere in the scrub of the badlands of west Texas, about 20 miles out of Marfa, there lays an unfired Model 19 that fell out of my holster unbeknownst to me at the time. It's been there for 27 years.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RR,

You left off a sad face.

I've got a 19-2 that I absolutely love. It was one of my old man's (his other being a Highway Patrolman that resides with my brother). The 19-2 I have was shot a fair amount but almost always with light 38 cast lead loads with only the occasional 357 going down the pipe. Finish is still beautiful with a nice deep blue. I believe my dad may have had thought about competition at some point as the gun has some target grips with an ugly but comfortable thumb rest, large trigger shoe, and what feels like a nicely worked trigger.

Back