Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:07 am

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scope Mounting issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:22 am 

Putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 on my Rem 700 in 243. I have medium Leupold standard bases on it and the objective has plenty of clearance, but there is what looks like a set screw under the eye piece that sticks down far enough to keep the bolt from closing. I was either thinking of filing it down to clear but afraid it is used to purge the scope with the nitrogen or argon gas and filing it will make it leak out or just go buy some tall rings and be done with it.

Last edited by Richracer1 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Scope Mounting issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 am 

A picture or two of the screw and scope resting in the rings would help in discussing how to fix or what to do to take care of the problem.
Also it could be a factory defect and a call to Vortex might be in order.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 am 

Remington action bases use a short screw closest to the barrel.... that's what's going on with your problem.

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am 

Here's some pictures:

The problem piece sticking down:

The scope mounted:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 am 

longrangehunter wrote:
Remington action bases use a short screw closest to the barrel.... that's what's going on with your problem.

Nothing to do with the bases as they have been on and in use for around 12 years.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 pm 

I see what you're issue is now. I'd call Vortex before filing that down, maybe it could be screwed in further down since that should be flush with the eye piece.

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 pm 

longrangehunter wrote:
I see what you're issue is now. I'd call Vortex before filing that down, maybe it could be screwed in further down since that should be flush with the eye piece.

Bingo there's your answer.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm 

Does the eyepiece turn to focus the reticle on that model, or just the ring at the end?

If the eyepiece turns, turn it then lock it back down... That little bit of adjustment won't get it out of focus.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm 

I hate to say it....but I do so from experience. If you are running that close that the set screw is an issue, you will likely have enough "bolt wobble" to scratch the bottom of the bell anyway. Up to you if that's an issue, IF you can get that set screw out of the way. I have to stay with a leuplod so my bolt will clear the ocular bell. For me it was an excuse to by a leupold. Never a problem.
Can you experiment with some other base/ring combo's? Its been my experience that not all "medium" height set ups are exactly the same. Maybe you can find a friendly Smith who has an assortment of ring /base combos you could try, or perhaps just measure? Just a thought. CL

PS- if you are really set on that ring/ scope combo (everything else fits you perfect) you could "go all bubba" on the thing and take a few thousandths off the bolt handle and re-blue it. But Im probably the only one who has crazy thoughts like that..... at your own risk. CL

PSS- (sorry) I think Leupold custom shop could maybe help you too. Is I recall they sell an "unprofiled " base. A good smith might be able to grind that a "little taller". Course, anything is possible, all it takes is money. My Mauser has a .010 shim under the front base. Never gives me any trouble. Maybe shim the bases? Not the best ideas , I know.....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am 

^^^^^ Great advice from Troy! He's spot on about that's way too close for my liking while running a bolt gun.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm 

If that tiny set screw on the scope was causing a problem on my rifle...

I'd laugh and go get some taller rings. I figure if that itty-bitty screw is causing a clearance issue, I need quite a bit more clearance, not another 1/64"

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 pm 

cloverleaf wrote:
PS- if you are really set on that ring/ scope combo (everything else fits you perfect) you could "go all bubba" on the thing and take a few thousandths off the bolt handle and re-blue it. But Im probably the only one who has crazy thoughts like that..... at your own risk. CL

I had a similar problem getting a scope to fit well on a Mauser action rifle because of the 90 degree bolt throw. Spent a little quality time with a grinder, some emory cloth, and polishing compound to take some meat out of the bolt handle, and haven't given it a second thought since. Works great.

Signed,

Bubba

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm 

Got word back from Vortex, install high rings. So I go buy some, take the current rings off and notice a huge difference between the 2 ring sets. Silly me, the current rings were low ones. Fortunately, I had a set of medium rings here.... :roll: :roll:

New scope w/medium rings is on and all is good. :wink: :wink:

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4