Outfitter in '06 or Whelen

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I have decided that when I can save up the pennies, I am going to invest in a Nosler Outfitter. I have a 7mm08 and a 7mm WSM, but nothing bigger. I have been eyeing the Outfitter rifle, and I want it, just dont know if I want a '06 or 35 Whelen. If I could, I would have both...

It will be used for hunting hogs, deer, and hopefully bear and other big critters. I plan on using factory Nosler ammo, 180AB's in the '06 or the 225 AB's in the Whelen. The data on the factory loads show that they are almost ballistically the same.

Given the choice, and not being able to reload yet, would you choose a '06 or Whelen?

I have a 30-06 and wouldn't trade it for anything but I would like a Whelen to go along with it.
Buy both or find a nice used 06 for now and save for the Whelen.

Much as I love the Whelen, the '06 probably has more utility. On the other hand, the '06 will show quite a bit of overlap with the 7WSM. Because you have the 7WSM, I'd wind up recommending the 35 Whelen, primarily because it will give you good performance on bear, elk and/or moose. On the other hand, it won't kill any deader than the '06. Okay, now that I've left you thoroughly confused, either chambering will serve you well.

ajvigs":28eyyb68 said:
Can you explain this overlap Dr. Mike?

I would bet Mike would tell you the 7 WSM handles 160-175 grain bullets which is right in the same working weight class as the 30-06. It is an overlap, but they are both good ones.

Now, get the Whelen. Anything that poor, old, broke 30-06 can do, the Whelen will do with more energy and bullet weight! :lol:

How's that for an unbiased opinion! Ha.

I love the Whelen. Really is an easy shooting cartridge that would handle the larger end of the North American game with bigger bullets that won't beat the shooter.

Scotty nailed my rationale. The 7WSM in the 160-175 weight class has considerable overlap with the '06 shooting 165-190 bullets. Truthfully, overlap has never kept me from buying a rifle. I enjoy them all, and there is considerable overlap in my arsenal. Buy the Whelen. This is the Nosler forum and it is virtually mandatory that you have a Whelen. :grin:

I knew it was going to be the Whelen :) I hope that Nosler action is as good as my Model 70's.

Will the 22" barrel affect performance at all? I much prefer a 24" tube...

As a note, this will leave me room to pick up that CMP Garand in '06 I have been eyeing ;)

ajvigs":33744mf9 said:
Will the 22" barrel affect performance at all? I much prefer a 24" tube...

Fifty to sixty fps. Insignificant in the real world.

DrMike":3fccz3yk said:
Scotty nailed my rationale. The 7WSM in the 160-175 weight class has considerable overlap with the '06 shooting 165-190 bullets. Truthfully, overlap has never kept me from buying a rifle. I enjoy them all, and there is considerable overlap in my arsenal. Buy the Whelen. This is the Nosler forum and it is virtually mandatory that you have a Whelen. :grin:

Totally agree with the good doctor. Overlap doesn't mean a darned thing.

I wouldn't be one bit shy of a 22" barreled Whelen. Jim and I run the same load. I run about 2650 and he runs right at 2600. It would take better riflemen than us Marines to note the difference. Plus, it would be a very handy rifle, which means alot to me too.

Personally, I would seriously consider getting a Professional Nosler rifle chambered in 9.3x62mm. My reasoning would be the same as the reasoning that I used for my Ruger Number One purchase in 9.3x74R which is essentially the same horsepower as a 9.3x62, just chambered for a single shot or double rifle on the 9.3x74R. My reasoning was that I was replacing a .340 Weatherby and wanted punch and power for a woods rifle for elk. The British designation for the caliber is the .360 Nitro Express (2-1/4 inch).

The 9.3mm cartridges gives you the 250 AccuBond, 286 gr Partition and the 300 grain Solid bullet weights for hunting, not that you would ever need a solid for hunting in North America. Plus, there are many excellent European bullets (like Norma's) available. This caliber does however give you .366 caliber punch and power at woods hunting velocities between 2350 and 2500 fps (or a little more if you handload). This caliber was originally designed for moose, boar and bear hunting in central Europe, something it still does very well with modern powders. Something more to consider if you are thinking about a .35 Whelen power class cartridge?

No love for the .338?

With a 7WSM and a 7-08 there's no reason to stop at the '06. It's good, but not enough more "oomph" to warrant.

(don't listen to me as I have a 270, an '06, a .308 and a .300WSM...which all do about the same thing).

The Whelen is OK, but a .338 gives you a lot of bullet and a flat trajectory.

We probably all overlap somewhat. For serious hunting, I have: .257 Roberts, .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, .338 Federal and 9.3x74R. I could probably live without three of these rifle calibers. I do not really consider the .30-06 as being in the same power class as the mediums shooting 250 to 300 grain bullets though.

35 Whelen all the way

1) Because 35 is bigger than 30 :)
2) Because there is almost nothing the 30-06 can do that you can't already do with your 7 WSM
3) Because it's noslerreloading.com and any other answer is near sacrilege.

I am going with a Whelen, and going to push the 225 AB's when the time comes.

Now, what are the advantages of choosing the Outfitter over the Trophy Grade? Are the iron sights on the 22" barrel worth it when compared to the 24" barrel on the Trophy Grade?

Only you can decide that AV. I like the idea of sights on a medium bore hard hunting rifle but I can't say it would sway me hugely. If I ever build a big 358 or 35 Newton, I would like a front sight on the rifle in order to use Talleys rear sight for backup. Just cool factor more than necessity though.

Good choice on the Whelen. With those 200's you can pick up right where the 7WSM leaves off but with a better trajectory I think out to about 300 yards than the 06 plus then you can go up to 250's at 2500-2600 and everything in NA is cover.

Now to just scrap up the pennies for this. Maybe I will get lucky around/after Christmas and Nosler will have one of those rifle sales again

Back