Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 am

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:04 am 

Go get em Jamilia!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 am 

Born and partially raised in Athens and I can not stand it! I love Crete

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 am 

FOTIS wrote:

ohhhhh Fotis---so do I--in fact, I love it

April steered us to the Elounda Peninsula Hotel on our last visit and I loved it. I like several beaches, but the Han;s Kokkini beach seems to cater to my age group.

Have you hunted the Kri Kri on Crete, that would be something to accomplish, for sure

I dont want to start another thread so hopefully some of you will see this here as I have been asked what does the local's use. I am not exaggerating when I say everything, but there is still a lot of 404 Jeffery's in use, and the 375 H & H is very popular. The 450/400 in the double is a very popular rifle as well. The P.H. if they can afford it will carry a larger caliber double than the 450/400 or usually just a larger caliber bolt. It is not like America, where everyone has a Winchester.

Charles, if you see this, Dallas's granddaughter ( if you remember her ) was using the double her grandfather used when he first met Bill at Victoria Falls----a lot of history in that old rifle

Best Regards

Jamila

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am 

Jamila,

I am reading this and hope to see Victoria Falls. Preferably while having a drink with a few folks I've come to be fond of. :>)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 am 

FOTIS wrote:

Fotis---I am another who agrees with you and Jamila, on both points

Jamila, glad you liked the hotel, no real beach, but a great marina and spa and the rooms are well appointed, however your choice of beaches is definitely not for women of my age, I will leave that beach to you and Fotis

It is funny that Ruark literally made the Rigby famous ( 416 ) when there were so few of them sent to Africa and literally hundreds of thousands off 404 Jeffery's

charles, you have the rifles, 9.3x 64 and 404 Jefferey, plus a 340 Weatherby, enjoy the trip

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:49 am 

Jamila
I have been known to blast them with a shotgun, an 06 and even a 338. Pissed of snakes are bad.
Pissed off woman are worse. I remain a fan, I'm also single. If you think you can keep up we should talk:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:56 am 

salmonchaser wrote:
Jamila
I have been known to blast them with a shotgun, an 06 and even a 338. Pissed of snakes are bad.
Pissed off woman are worse. I remain a fan, I'm also single. If you think you can keep up we should talk:)

Hoo, boy, there's an offer you can't refuse, Jamila! :mrgreen: Now we are hunters, shooters and "match makers." :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 pm 

Salmonchaser, I will be in Hong Kong this weekend, then a quick stop in India and then back to Namibia to teach a fellow how to hunt the river without getting killed by hippos and mesquites --your welcome to tag a long --if you can keep up Ha

Seriously, I am currently traveling on business for my mum in China and India and then after a short stop over in Cape Town you could watch for and snakes and chase off the hippos along the river so I could concentrate on helping this gentleman learn that hunting a river in Africa is not the same as hunting along the banks of the Missouri

Fotis, still curious if you have stayed or visited the hotel I mentioned and if you also like the same beach I do, and if you have hunted the Kri Kri----if you have I am very envious sir, that would be a trophy

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. I will have to check your replies later, I am off

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:04 pm 

DrMike wrote:
salmonchaser wrote:
Jamila

Hoo, boy, there's an offer you can't refuse, Jamila! :mrgreen: Now we are hunters, shooters and "match makers." :lol:

Hey hey there! I'm still single, and I asked her that question over a year ago this past August..... I got shut down pretty fast! :o Seems Jamila already had a BF, and replied she's not married-Yet! Months later I remember something to the effect her BF isn't seeing her too much with all her work..... and Oh, the hunting she been doing! :shock:

I would have thought my love for Africa would have swayed her over...... and Oh, my love affair for being in the field with a great woman that shares my same passion..... and for each other! :grin:

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 pm 

Competition my friend is always good!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 pm 

I have only seen a few rattlesnakes here in Mississippi. Now copperheads and cottonmouths is a whole different story lol. They are everywhere, as I seem to run into them all the time during turkey season. My parents house is apparently a copperhead haven. Been more than a few get beat to death in the hallway early in the morning ( that will definetly wake u up lol). All up and down the road by my parents is always a couple copperheads ran over a week. To me the copperhead seems to be the most aggressive. Now African snakes seem to be a whole new ballgame! Lol. Took my daughter to the Memphis zoo last weekend, and saw the gaboon viper (pretty sure I misspelled that). Boy I bet that thing hurts when it hits you! Those fangs are impressive, so is the mass of that snake. I bet it feels like getting hit in the leg by a 2”x4” !

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:39 pm 

The copperheads in Kansas used to crawl under the windrows when we were haying. They would be pressed into the bales. Every now and then you'd grab a bale with your hooks and as you were kicking it to the top rack, the head of that snake would be flopping around. It sure built strong abs in a hurry as we held the bale at arms length so that head could reach our face or chest. Likely account for more than a few hernias, as well. We had lots of copperheads around, but not so many rattle snakes. We saw them occasionally, but they were not common.

I've always warned my grandchildren about ice snakes since we moved to northern British Columbia. The evident danger of this beauty helps keep rambunctious children in line. Much like the story of hoop snakes kept me in line many years ago before I moved from Kansas.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 pm 

I've never seen a copper head or cotton mouth, bet my little Ruger Would take care of them too.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2