New Double Rifle

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
Gentlemen,

I have been searching for over a year for a new double. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to Heym, Merkel, Krieghoff, and Holland and Holland. In order to keep the cost down on the H & H , it would not have any engraving on it or very very little.

I have also narrowed my search down to the 450-400 NE 3 "

Please let me know if you have had any bad experiences with any of these four gun manufacturers and whether or not you you would recommend a different caliber. ( please remember I am not as big and strong as you fellows when recommending caliber's ) This gun would be used only for Buffalo, Hippo, and Elephant--possibly Lion.

Thank you

Jamila

Wow! I've never even fired a double barreled rifle! Everything I hear & read about the 450-400 indicates it is a very good cartridge, including being fairly mild to shoot - but again - I've no personal experience with it.

Looking forward to learning more!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":vofg5aiq said:
Wow! I've never even fired a double barreled rifle! Everything I hear & read about the 450-400 indicates it is a very good cartridge, including being fairly mild to shoot - but again - I've no personal experience with it.

Looking forward to learning more!

Regards, Guy

Same here. I'm with Guy. Don't know anything other than what I've read about them.

Cool cartridge though.

My interest in doubles is mostly theoretical since they don't really match my hunting style. I've been fortunate to shoot a few.

I was the most partial to a Heym PH in .375 H&H. Rimless cartridges are supposedly a bad thing in a double, but the tight tolerances of the Heym would seem to make up for it. I had no issue busting a clay at 100yds resting over the hood of a truck. The PH was sans engraving and seemed pretty much a straight up working rifle...that's probably what I liked about it. If I were to ever buy one, I'd get the .375H&H with a set of spare 20ga barrels.

The 450-400 has all the right numbers too, and should do the trick nicely. I did shoot a .500NE a couple times and found it to be just too much of a good thing- even when I was 15 years younger!

Everything I hear & read about the 450-400 indicates it is a very good cartridge, including being fairly mild to shoot - but again - I've no personal experience with it.
I cringe at the thought of firing anything larger than a .338 Winchester. Calling a 450-500 mild is a pretty far stretch for me.

Guy Miner":1fufnzxd said:
400 gr bullet at only about 2,050 fps

:)

That's about the equivalent of a hot 45-70 load (like a Buffalo Bore or Garret). Stout, but out of an 11lb double it'd be pretty mild as far as such stuff goes. Probably feel like a 3" goose load in a 12ga.

I know the .375H&H out of my Talkeetna feels entirely different than the same round out of the Heym PH.

Jamila.

staying with the ones you listed

I would get the Holland and Holland--1. they will build it to fit you and since you are female and small framed this can be important--recoil, balance---2. locking/cocking designs are excellent---3.. whatever you pay for it today and if you take care of it, you will get your money back when you sell it.

Negative--wait a year to get your rifle.

After the above, I would consider the Heym and then the Merkel. but would not consider the Krieghoff, as I do not like their cocking design, however they do make a good rifle,

The 450-400 NE 3, would be a perfect choice for you. with the perfect fitted rifle, the recoil will be mild and the 450-400 can work double duty, large plains game and DG.

I am sure your mother has already mentioned this to you but the next time your in London, check and see what William Evans has in stock. He will not sell a used rifle that he has not fully checked out and will give you a written warranty and of course he makes a few of his own using the same components as Holland and Holland and Westley Richards

Best of luck

Jamila,

Not having any, read that as zilch, nada, none, experience with any double rifle I'm inclined to follow Europe's advice.

With that said I offer you the use of my private shooting range to further acclimate yourself to any firearms you get.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince, thank you for the range offer

April, you make a good point about the K-Gun. How do you compare the H & H to the WR ?

Elkman, the fit, balance and weight all help to reduce the felt recoil, but it is there. Funny when a Buffalo or Elephant is headed toward you, recoil is the least of your worries and nine times out of ten, you wish it had more recoil ( larger caliber ) (-:

Hodgeman, you seem to be the only one, besides April who has an interest in the double, so I wanted to ask you, what is your opinion of the American made Searcy ? I have no first hand experience with their product.

Guy, the 450-400 is definitely my limit. The 375 flanged and the 9.3 x 74R are the doubles I will be replacing and wanted something a little larger. Also both of these rifles were hand me down rifles from my mum and I want to get something that fits me a little better, as she is taller, with longer arms, and bigger hands. Hence April's comment about having Holland and Holland build one to fit me has a lot of merit

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":1eazlfzd said:
Hodgeman, you seem to be the only one, besides April who has an interest in the double, so I wanted to ask you, what is your opinion of the American made Searcy ? I have no first hand experience with their product.
Jamila

Jamila- I've never seen a Searcy outside of a photo of one. I'm not sure once you discount some of the "economy doubles" (that's an oxymoron if there ever was one) there are really any bad ones around. It might be worth searching out one to see before you order. Although from an investment standpoint, a Holland might be the safest bet.

It is a toss up Jamila ( H/H or W.R.). They both hold there resale value very well. I do like the express and fore sights W.R. uses. You will probably get about 100 FPS more than what Hornady advertises.
Have you decided on a bullet yet-- you might want to consider Woodleigh or GSC.

Hodgeman, do you still hunt with your Heym ? I would think they would work for you very nicely on your coastal brown bear hunts. Heym makes a nice gun

Jamila, speaking for my self from what I've read barrels on double rifles are regulated at somewhere around 40 meters and most of my shooting is 50yds or longer so a double rifle would be a handicap. Plus we north Americans love a good bolt action or single shot since most of the game we hunt is of the DG category. I would love to own one since I think they are cool.

Jamila,

I to have no experience with double rifles so I am all ears.
Please post some pictures when you get your rifle. The 450-400 NE is a interesting cartridge.

JD338

Europe":20jh2yz2 said:
Hodgeman, do you still hunt with your Heym ? I would think they would work for you very nicely on your coastal brown bear hunts. Heym makes a nice gun

Not my Heym, a buddy's.... very nice. I'd love to take it out for bear one day. One day I'll have one- but for now that cash would pay for a lot of Supercub time!

Hi Jamila,

I too have only theoretical interest in a double at this point, but I would like to know about your selection process, including tips from Europe. Please keep sharing your decision process and let us know what you choose, why and how it works out.

Maybe someday I'll need one too.....

G'Day Folks,

African Huntress, here are some images of a very nice W.J.Jeffery Double (in .450/400 3") I imported for a customer/Mate of mine a couple of years back!
scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg
scan0007.jpg
scan0011.jpg
I hope that helps wet your appetite, for your pending purchase!

Regards
Homer

Isn't the 450/400 the rimmed equivalent of the 404 Jeffry? I liked the 404 bolt gun I had made up years ago. Recoil of a 375, hit like a 458. I pushed the 400gr to 2400 and it was not bad at all. Of course, due to a different medical issue, my left retina tore ( No, the recoil from the 404 didn't do it ,ha! They said the vitreous shrunk and pulled the retina away from the wall. Scary stuff)) so I quit all the heavy mediums and heavys after it took a year to sort it out. I miss them, but I favor the 404 J.

Preacher, yes, the 404 and the 400 are ballistically the same.

Homer, very pretty--what year was it manufactured. Is it a Roberts " Jeffery " or ?

Europe":4w1mmwjh said:
Homer, very pretty--what year was it manufactured. Is it a Roberts " Jeffery " or ?

Yes Europe, this one is what is referred to as the "Millennium Rifle"!

Regards
Homer

Back