Beam Scale Leveling Base

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I wanted a way to raise my beam scale so its easier to read and a way to keep it level because my bench isn't perfectly level. I went to Lowes and picked up four threaded inserts, 4 rubber caps and a piece of threaded rod. All came from the "Furniture Parts" drawer in the pullout drawers in the hardware section. I drilled 4 holes in a 2X4 and pressed the threaded inserts in then cut the threaded rod to equal lengths and put a rubber cap on each one and threaded the rods into the inserts. Using a 2-way surface level that came with my washing machine, I turned the rods in/out to achieve level. Works well and easier to read being raised a few inches..All the parts came to to just over $4.00 (not including the level)
level 1.jpglevel 2.jpglevel3.jpg

Excellent idea. You might be able to put wing nuts on the threaded rods to lock them in place, if you're so inclined.

That is a great concept. Excellent build that may just become a "must have."

Also a good idea for those with electronic scales, as they are supposed to be used on a level surface also.

20170511_171046.jpg

I went with a longer 2x4 so the trickler would fit also
Thanks again for such a GR8 idea

Very crafty, I may just be trying this. My bench is also not completely level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tuned 505 is on a fixed level base on a shelf a tad below eye level.
v48jfm.jpg

The "nub" on the adjustment foot rides in a steel bushing. The two angled pins on the right, one each in front-back, locate the right side of the scale body. Between them I can remove the scale and replace it back to it's original position w/o readjustment. I also applied a few wraps of teflon tape on the adjustment screw threads to eliminate any slop.

To aid my old four eyes I use a cell camera to magnify and eliminate any eye position parallax.
2qwnbj5.jpg

A video of the mess in action made with the cell > My 505 in action

Bill

Back