6.5 swede bullet failure.

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Lost a match today. 3 shots, 1 sighter, 2 for record, shed the jacket at about the 150 yard mark. Just a cautionary tale, this bullet may not be suitable for a Swedish M96 at near hodgedon max velocity with 4064. 123 cc

Why do you think that the bullet
She'd it's core at 150 yards?

JD338

Shooting in a vintage bolt rifle match. Numerous witnesses saw a distinct smoke puff downrange. Happened 3 times, shots were scored misses, called 9 ring or better. Lowest shot for record the entire match w was an 8 in offhand other than the 2 that went poof.

Still took second with 2 misses but really frustrating. I was on fire today with this rifle.

When I have seen bullets poof. We found lead cores had been shaved as it was pressed in jacket. A half moon shape missing from lead core causing the bullet to come apart due to the out of balance spin. Weighing bullets told us which to dissect and inspect. They where Sierra and Hornady. But any lead core bullet could potentially have the issue.

Sent an inquiry to Nosler customer service. I will share response when/if I receive it.

What is your twist rate and velocity? I have pushed the 123 CCs out of a 28" 1/8 twist .260 at 3025 fps without an issue.

Wow! It's been a while since I've seen that happen!

Was fairly common in target shooting, 10 - 15 years ago when fast-twist barrels started becoming really popular.

Guy

Don't remember the twist offhand, but you can look up the m96, they are all standard. Velocity was ballpark of 2800

Twist should be 1 in 7 1/2". Velocity under 2900. That bullet should not have a problem with those conditions. Something amiss...

Back