Nickel Brass = VLD Chamfer Tool?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I have a bunch of new Win nickel plated brass for the 7-08 and loading the 140 AB's I noticed a very slight amount of jacket material is being shaved off the bullet..I chamfered them very well using my old Lyman 45* chamfer tool..I ordered a VLD chamfer tool and hoping that will solve the issue. It didn't seem to affect accuracy any, but it can't be good for it!

A VLD chamfer tool will solve the problem of shaving off gilding material and/or copper from the jacket. Perhaps it won't have noticeable affect on accuracy for a hunting load, but for such an inexpensive fix, why wouldn't you get the proper tool?

Dr. Mike, thats pretty much how I looked at..$12.00 for peace of mind..I think it would always be in the back of my head worried that the one I needed to take down a big buck might fly way off course..As improbable as it may be, I would still worry about it.

I use the VLD tool for everything now. It is in my prep center, and has helped me with some other frustrations as well (like seating flat base bullets)

On test pieces, I still occasionally use my trusty Wilson chamfer tool

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

hunter24605":27ovo33i said:
I have a bunch of new Win nickel plated brass for the 7-08 and loading the 140 AB's I noticed a very slight amount of jacket material is being shaved off the bullet..I chamfered them very well using my old Lyman 45* chamfer tool..I ordered a VLD chamfer tool and hoping that will solve the issue. It didn't seem to affect accuracy any, but it can't be good for it!

Where did you get the brass? I want some.

Paul Barnard":3mskcipb said:
hunter24605":3mskcipb said:

Where did you get the brass? I want some.

I don't know of anybody that offers them as a component..I pulled down a couple boxes of Win silver ballistic tips I've had laying around for several years.

I have a regular chamferer and a VLD on my 5 station RCBS trim mate.... I use the vld on all my brass and I use it also fairly often as the round count increases on my brass.... not always every loading but usually at least every other one..... I think it is help me a quite a bit with run out also.

I use the Lee trimmer set up. After chamfering while the case is still chucked up in my cordless drill I run the case mouth against some handheld steel wool. Smooths up the edges nicely.
EE2

Back