Help with loading Nosler 64gr BSB in .223

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
Looking for some advice here. Anyone had any luck loading the Nosler 64gr. BSB bullets in a .223 (AR-15)? I am burning a lot of powder and time trying to find a decent load, and I am failing miserably. So far, I have tried H335 (which is what I have used successfully with other loads) and CFE223 (which is what Nosler lists as the best powder in their tests). I have run ladder tests for each, 4 shot groups. The **best** I have been able to get is about 3" at 100 yards, and some groups have been much worse than that. I have never had this much problem finding at least a half-decent load, with any bullet. Anyone have a good load they have worked up with this bullet? BTW, I'm shooting these in a 20-inch barrel with a 1:7 twist.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I have used 25gr. TAC with the 64 BSB for 1/2 to 3/4" groups. These are just shy of 3000 fps in a 24" barrel.

Tjay":qzicnugd said:
I have used 25gr. TAC with the 64 BSB for 1/2 to 3/4" groups. These are just shy of 3000 fps in a 24" barrel.
That's not a powder that I currently use, but may have to give that a try. Thanks!

Charlie-NY":3dkw12y1 said:
My most accurate loads with the Nosler 64gr bonded bullet were CFE223 and H322.

How accurate were they? I have a couple of boxes of 'em but haven't tried to load them yet.

Thanks, Guy

Guy Miner":j55hcghw said:
Charlie-NY":j55hcghw said:
My most accurate loads with the Nosler 64gr bonded bullet were CFE223 and H322.

How accurate were they? I have a couple of boxes of 'em but haven't tried to load them yet.

Thanks, Guy

H322 was producing groups between 1" and 1.75" at 300yds from a lightweight bolt rifle. CFE223 about 1/2" larger. I never used this particular bullet in my AR.

A DMR AR-15 I built about 3 years ago with a 20" ARP barrel- 3R rifling. It has a 1:7.7 twist and generally prefers heavier bullets in the 70+ grain area, but the BSB's just plain shoot. And its easy to find a good load with just about any of the established 223 powders.

25.0 gr of Varget worked for me in a M4 type AR. Can’t vouch for velocity. However, it did punch through a deer shoulder my daughter shot years ago.

If you can't get the Nosler 64 to shoot give the Sierra 65 Game King a try. I have not shot them but everybody I know says they shoot well and do a wonderful job on deer and hogs.

1Shot":3jvb05vd said:
If you can't get the Nosler 64 to shoot give the Sierra 65 Game King a try. I have not shot them but everybody I know says they shoot well and do a wonderful job on deer and hogs.
That's what I'm working on now. First ladder test I found a decent starting point, about 1" group. Now to tweak it a bit and see what happens.

That's what frustrates me about the BSB's. I haven't been able to get that kind of results.

Some barrels just do not like some bullets. I have two 6.5 Grendel ARs with different make barrels and both will not shoot the Hornady 123 SST bullet either in factory or handloads and that bullet was specifically designed for the 6.5 Grendel. They will both shoot sub moa with 120 Sierra PH and Speer GD.
I have a Shilen barrel 26-06 that just does not like boat tail bullets but will shoot 1/3 moa or better with flat base bullets. By the way Speer is making Gold Dot rifle bullets in 22 cal. 55,62 &77 gr. that you may want to give a try. I shot a deer with the 120 gr out of my 6.5 Grendel this season and I have killed hundreds of deer in my life and I have never seen a bullet do this much damage and still exit. Damage from hydrostatic displacement of tissue was unbelievable and penetration was about 20" to exit from 111 yards to center of chest out the belly just in front of the crotch. I found some of the Speer GD 62 gr .223 pills but I have not loaded up any to shoot. When weather gets better I plan to give them a work out in my newly built Oden Works 18" 8 twist 223 Wyald chamber AR I built a few months ago.

I get just over 1"groups with 25gr of Varget. With a Lee crimp on the canalur out of a Marlin X7 The rifle will stack 10 64gr Winchester power points under 3/4" with the same 25gr Varget load.

I respectfully disagree with 1Shot about some barrels not liking a certain bullet. Twist rate would be the only exception I can think of.
I went through: CFE223, Tac, Varget, IMR4064, 322, and several others before trying Benchmark. There I found a load for both the AR and my bolt 223.
It's best if you have a friend that loads 223 that will loan you enough of the different powders so you don't end up with a closet full of 1 lb cans that you most likely won't use. Keep trying, there will be a mixture of powder, case, primer and your rifle that will shoot them.

Thanks, Guy
I have some Nosler 64gr Bonded what was your load with H322 I have a M4 carbine that’s inching to try those bullets for hunting ?

Back