300 WSM, 180 AB with Re16 & Re26

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I wanted to calibrate the Ba, or burning rate, factors in my QuickLOAD program for Reloder 16 and Reloder 26 in my 300 WSM with 180 grain AB bullets. So, I loaded up five rounds each with a range of relative mild charges.

I was surprised that the velocities were as low as they were. However, it was only 23 degrees when I shot. For theses lots of powder, my rifle, new Norma brass, the 180 gr. AB, a .10" jump, and 23 degrees the following Ba values (Weighting factor of .5) seemed to fit the data.

Re16 = .4380
Re26 = .3270

The velocities for the Re16 tracked very well in the range of charges that I shot with a possible accuracy node at about 61 grains. See shots 4 & 5.

The velocities for the Re26 tracked less well in the range of charges that I shot with a possible accuracy node at around 69 grains. See shots 3, 4, & 5. However, I would like to find a velocity plateau.

So far, the accuracy of the 180 AB's looks very promising. However, I will need to use a drop tube to go higher in charge weights with the Re26.

I think I definitely hit the correct amount of bullet jump at .10".

I am going to run real ladder tests with each powder going up in charges and see what I find. However, I will use once fired brass which should increase the velocities a tiny bit.

300WSM-180 AB with Re16 and Re26.jpg

after you adjusted the "Ba" did your estimated pressure look to be a believable number ? when I adjust the Ba on RL26 my estimated pressures go sky high , but the brass shows no pressure signs .

on the 300 wsm I'd try using a .42 weighting factor and use the default Ba , see if this gets you any closer to actual .

did you correct the water capacity?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention , you can adjust the temperature by clicking on the hand by the selected powder . then click on the "T" by the "apply & calc" button .

jimbires":18of98y2 said:
after you adjusted the "Ba" did your estimated pressure look to be a believable number ? when I adjust the Ba on RL26 my estimated pressures go sky high , but the brass shows no pressure signs .

on the 300 wsm I'd try using a .42 weighting factor and use the default Ba , see if this gets you any closer to actual .

did you correct the water capacity?

Jim, yes, I adjusted the water capacity, the bullet length, and OAL to measured values. Since my measured velocities were lower than the velocities with the default values of Ba, the Ba adjustments I made were to lower values. I looked at weighting factors of .42 and .5. The .5 weighing factor seemed to work better with my data.

With these Ba values, the pressures seem reasonable. The results with the Re16 seem reasonable compared to the velocities on the Alliant website. I only have QL data for the Re26 so I haven't compared those results to any book data.

My QL projections are shown below. Since I am still a novice at this, I welcome any suggestions.

QL_Re16_180AB.jpg

QL_Re26_180AB.jpg

jimbires":3okqnb88 said:
EDIT: I forgot to mention , you can adjust the temperature by clicking on the hand by the selected powder . then click on the "T" by the "apply & calc" button .

Thank you. I did not know that. I will check it out.

Dan

I just checked it out. Holy smokes! That made a perfect correction to the default Ba for the Re26 and fits my data exactly (for the three middle charges).

Thank you. Dan

glad I could help . all you can do is use it and ask questions . you'll keep getting smarter with it .

I've been using quickload for about 10 years , and I know I'm not using it to it's full potential . something about RL26 , throws me a curve ball fairly often .

Very cool stuff..

I have been working with a 300 RUM and the 210 ABLR's and Retumbo, using Nosler brass and CCI250. So far I've gotten up to about 3000'ish FPS with the bullet, and have worked a few seating depths and have shot a number of groups with 2 touching snugly and then a 3rd outta the group. I am debating running the 210 into Nosler's 3.600" COAL and trying one more group OR, shooting a ladder with Retumbo and bumping the velocity up slightly to see if I am just outta the node range with my current charge.

I say all that to say, there isn't much data out there for the 300 RUM, or at least useful data. I love Nosler, but when they list RL25 and about 10 others ahead of Retumbo and RL33 for speed and their 25 data is WAY over anything my gun could take I scratch my head some. Especially when you cannot swing a dead cat without finding a billion folks who run Retumbo with the 200 AB, Partitions and various other 200-210 grain bullets and are knocking down 3100 pretty easily..

QL is about the only tool that is giving me decent numbers, but not having good data. It's almost as bad as working with the old 300 Wby..

Good luck Dan, when you get it sorted I am asking you for load advice! :mrgreen:

I'll say Scotty , I've loaded up some ladders , shot one or two , and headed home . wondering how I came up with these . I've figured out when the starting load tightens up the bolt , it ain't gettin no better .

jimbires":205z3pnc said:
I'll say Scotty , I've loaded up some ladders , shot one or two , and headed home . wondering how I came up with these . I've figured out when the starting load tightens up the bolt , it ain't gettin no better .

That's a fact. Nowadays, before I load anything I load what I think is a safe starter and burn one off over the Magnetospeed. Saved me many a mile!

Yesterday I was able to shoot a ladder with the Reloder 16 and a ladder with the Reloder 26. This time I used once fired cases (shoulder bumped back). I was surprised to see that the velocity increase I saw using the Re-16 in once fired cases. It averaged about 30 fps over the new cases. Maybe, that isn't unusual given that the shoulders on the new brass were all about .007" short. So the new cases had a lot to expand. With the once fired cases the Ba came right back to the default value.

Here are the results of the Re-16 trial:

300WSM-180AB-Re16-Ladder.jpg

Charge Weights 60.9 - 61.8 grouped very well. There seemed to be a velocity plateau from 61.2 - 61.8. I think my load is in the 61.2 to 61.5 range. I think I will load up a few at 61.3 and see what I get for a group.

The results for the Re-26 trial are:

300WSM-180AB-Re26-Ladder.jpg

If I didn't have the results form the Re-16 I might that charge weights 68.8 - 69.7 were pretty good. But, the velocities for the Re-16 seem to be more consistent. With the Re-26 I am maxed out as far as case volume goes so I am only getting about 25 fps more velocity for the additional 8 grains of powder.

In my opinion, my results with the Re-16 (coupled with the claim for temperature stability) don't warrant pursuing the Re-26 any further.

I would welcome any opinions on what charge weight to use for the Re-16. 61.2 or 61.5 or something in between.

Dan

My first glance would have loading 61.5 of RL16 dan. Great numbers on that one.

I almost think 26 isn’t fully up to pressure but if you’re outta space, you’re outta space. Might work better with 200’s in that one.

Looking forward to seeing your groups with 16.

I agree with Scotty , RL16 , shots # 3 - 4 - 5 have a velocity spread of 6 fps . the target shows little vertical in these impacts . I'd be loading #4 , 61.5 gr and playing with seating .

I don't like to do anything meaningful with new brass , it causes a guy to chase his tail . my one 7-08 I use norma brass ,there is 50 FPS between virgin and once fired brass .

Scotty, Jim, I went with your advise and loaded up 4 rounds with 61.5 gr. Re-16. Way too windy to shoot here today so it will have to wait until another time. Now, I need to go snowplow. Dan

Back