re-seating affects accuracy?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I last loaded up 50 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor and 140 Hybrids about 3 weeks ago, and I made another batch just tonight and I normally check ogive after seating the first bullet, but I knew I only seated Hybrids and did not bother to check ogive length knowingly did not change the seating depths since last batch. So I seated 50 rounds and was about to put everything away but had the itch to measure the ogive to double check before I closed that ammo box. Yikes, the caliper read .020" deeper. :hammer: I just remembered loading 20 rounds for my buddy's Creedmoor and realized my mistake. So I got the kinetic hammer and lightly tapped all of the rounds until it was a tad longer than my desired ogive length of 2.260" and re-seated to my proper length.

I was curious if it will have any change of accuracy compared to seating it once. That question came to my mind.

I'd say you'll be fine. My only concern would be concentricty of bumping them out and reseating, but if the gauge still shows good numbers I wouldn't be concerned.

You could also loose accuracy because if different neck tension between the two. Only way to know for sure is to go shoot them.

The neck tension is light, only .001" and I also checked bullet runout out of curiosity, its between half a thousand to .001 and a half. Looks like its good to go. I'll see how it shoots at the range tomorrow. Thanks guys.

After knocking the bullets further out of the cases, reseating and checking bullet runout, I showed up at the range with the 6.5 Creed and shot those 140 Hybrids / H4350 and its stupid accurate still. Three shots at 100 yards at 2780 fps average with ES of 4 at 62 degrees with 12 mph wind, ignore other holes in targets, its a random target I picked at the range someone else used. Seems re-seating did not have any effect on accuracy. :grin:

CdBfOdAl.jpg

I'd say that is pretty conclusive in that particular instance, and suggestive in a more generalised sense.

Back