Seating depth

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
Shooting my 6.5 creedmoor with 41g of h4350 and nosler 140 bt jumping 80thousands. The gun is shooting right at 1inch or under at 100 yards. The 3 shot groups are a perfect triangle. Do i need more jump or get closer to the lands?

Thank you Michael

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Michael, it won't hurt to try 3 shot groups in .020" increments closer to the lands. What is your magazine length? Hopefully seating them out further will fit your magazine if you find a tighter group.

TackDriver284":pwvjmqad said:
Michael, it won't hurt to try 3 shot groups in .020" increments closer to the lands. What is your magazine length? Hopefully seating them out further will fit your magazine if you find a tighter group.

I’d go a 1/4 turn in each direction, approximately .010. I’d have to shoot a few groups over top one another to be completely sure though.

all you can do is try going each way . I'd guess you would want to go closer to the rifling , but this is just a guess , .080 jump seems like a lot for the ballistic tip bullet .

it seemed I always was getting in this predicament of which way do I go , so I started loading at the max length my set up would allow . I would check for the length my bullet touched the rifling , then I'd check my magazine length . I start loading ammo at the shorter of these two lengths . by doing this I only have one way to go for finding seating depth , this is shorter .

Thanks everyone. I thought I remembered a post where someone said triangle shape groups was a indicator of needing to change the seating depth but couldn't remember which way they said to go. Guess I need to load up a few more and burn a little powder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back