300 RUM 220 Scenar / Retumbo

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here are my results from after I put the extended mag box in the rifle. Seated these at 3.775”

88 grains

89 grains

90 grains

I believe these will come together pretty quick once I get the gun back. Darned folks know how to make an accurate Bullet!

That definitely appears to be moving in the right direction. Looking good, Scotty.

Those look like great starting and stopping points to me. Scenar bullets worth a hoot for hunting or just long range plinking?

OU812":10lnoeyb said:
Those look like great starting and stopping points to me. Scenar bullets worth a hoot for hunting or just long range plinking?

Million dollar question Bill. Most of what I read makes them out to be relatively tough. Folks say they have a harder core than a Berger so they are much better penetrators. A few of the folks that I’d trust run them in a bunch of 6.5 and 7mms. One of our own here on Nosler (30338) swears by them in a 7 Rem Mag. He’s kinda the reason I’m trying them out. I’m not sure if I’ll hunt them for elk but if they shoot well when the gun comes back I’ll stuff a few into jugs at various distances and see what they do.

If they expand, I’m not too worried about penetration since 220 grains is a whole lotta mass. I’d be interested in hearing from others with experience with them.

Mike, thank you.. kinda fun monkeying around with this big cannon. Definitely a change of pace.

Looks very good, those bullets must be long enough to look like a javelin :)

Scotty
Looks like you have a load.
Nice shooting buddy

JD338

Scotty,

It looks like that is coming together for you. That 90 grain load looks very promising.

Dan

I shot 1 deer with a scenar, there will be no more, not worth a darn as far as terminal performance on game.
RR

Went out and verified the load with the 220 Scenars. Also ran three over the Magnetospeed

Pretty happy with how they shoot. 3 shots went an average of 2975’ish.

Those 220 Scenars continue to be easy. Took these last three shots at 200 to verify my zero and it clubbed out a decent group. It’ll be tough to not carry this load.

Looks like a potential elk-getter!

All I ever loaded for my 300 RUM was 200 gr bullets. Sierra SPBT Gameking bullets and Nosler Partitions. Used Retumbo for that and wow.. Excellent accuracy & velocity.

Guy

Guy Miner":3irjjz8p said:
Looks like a potential elk-getter!

All I ever loaded for my 300 RUM was 200 gr bullets. Sierra SPBT Gameking bullets and Nosler Partitions. Used Retumbo for that and wow.. Excellent accuracy & velocity.

Guy

I used to think I was a decent shooter till Mark posted his 300 yard targets 8)

I have pretty much forgone a bench these days... been doing all my load work prone and I can’t say I miss the bench at all. Well, unless it’s muddy, then I use the bed of my 1 ton!

Ha ha, I have had to lay down prone in mud and snow too! Those bullets are doing well for you, be neat to see you be ale to run one into an elk or bear.

gerry":2dy9651f said:
Ha ha, I have had to lay down prone in mud and snow too! Those bullets are doing well for you, be neat to see you be ale to run one into an elk or bear.

Depending on how the Swift’s do I just might Gerry. I’d like to run one of these Scenars into some jugs to see what I should expect.

Yeah, seems like since I’ve gone to the ground and gotten away from the bench things have gotten easier.

It doesn't get any more solid than on the ground with a bipod or sand bags. Be neat to see how they perform in the jugs.

gerry":tfg9t92b said:
It doesn't get any more solid than on the ground with a bipod or sand bags. Be neat to see how they perform in the jugs.

Yeah, got plenty of jugs. May rip one off outback and see what happens.

Back