Crooked Case Mouths

Heavy Barrel

Beginner
Apr 3, 2015
Had three bags of Winchester 308 brass given to me.

As I started to inspect them, I noticed that the mouths are crooked. If I try to trim them so they are square, that would make them shorter than the trim length.

As long as I seat the bullets to the listed OAL, is there anything I would need to be concerned about if I trim them?

Attachments

• 69FEF8ED-A453-4132-A919-8DC851D61710.jpeg
    69FEF8ED-A453-4132-A919-8DC851D61710.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 605
Every bag of WW brass I've got, I have to trim the mouth of all brass. Just part of my routine.
Bill

Trimming them below minimum specs shouldn't present any problems. Assuming, of course, that you don't take things to the extreme. When you fireform cases to create an "Ackley Improved" case the overall length always lessens, often below the minimum length for case trimming.

Trimming them below minimum specs shouldn't present any problems. Assuming, of course, that you don't take things to the extreme. When you fireform cases to create an "Ackley Improved" case the overall length always lessens, often below the minimum length for case trimming.

I have a love/hate relationship with Winchester brass. I've had some that was pretty darn good and other bags that where garbage....

Yeah, some of those appear pretty extreme; but as has been suggested, run them through your sizing die and it should true them up.

those are pretty bad . I agree with the other guys , I'd run them through a full length sizing die . I'd also load them and shoot them . then see how they look and trim as needed . the problem with trimming them shorter than necessary is it gives more space in the chamber for a carbon ring build up . sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do though .

Back