30 cal 200g AB ogive tolerances

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
So I just finished working up a load for my cousins Christianson Arms 300 WM and I was measuring the bullet ogive on the 30 cal 200G AB. Not sure what the tolerances are suppose to be, but I was seeing a +/- .005" in either direction, for an overall difference of .010" That doesnt seem to great in my opinion. Kind of makes seating bullets a royal PITA when trying to achieve consistent and repeatable measurements. Prior to these, the last few boxes of 30 cal 200g ABs I loaded for 2 other guys the tips were falling off/out and a few were shaved, and a few crumbled to dust when you touched them. Kind of expect a little better from Nosler honestly... Your thoughts? I dont shoot Noslers much anymore honestly, but the 30 cal 200g AB has always been my personal choice for 30 cal mags and what I recommend to guys. However, I'm not so sure anymore.

I haven't had any trouble myself but it can obviously happen like you found out. Those 200 gr AB bullets are amazing so I hope what you found is just an anomaly. Did you ever bring it up with Nosler to see what they say?

I have not brought it to Noslers attention yet. Was hoping to get some insight from a couple guys here before I contacted Nosler about the issues. I was able to get them to shoot 1/2 MOA, but it took a lot longer than it should have e to get the bullets all seated the same to do so...

remingtonman_25_06":1durcr3e said:
I have not brought it to Noslers attention yet. Was hoping to get some insight from a couple guys here before I contacted Nosler about the issues. I was able to get them to shoot 1/2 MOA, but it took a lot longer than it should have e to get the bullets all seated the same to do so...

Jorey, call Nosler about the tips and talk through it. It sounds like you have an older bunch of bullets or they have a problem going on with their tips. The last thing I'd want is a loose tip in the action.

On the variance part, I have seen a pretty high variance in their bullets, much more so than Scirocco's, Bergers, etc. I am not saying they haven't been accurate though, but just like you mentioned, it is sorta nerve racking when you are making consistent ammo.

Back